//Trail Status mouse over Java // New to riding and the forum

Author Topic: New to riding and the forum  (Read 1218 times)

auceny

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
New to riding and the forum
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
Just wanted to say hello as a newbie. Also thank you to I believe it was Indiana Dave who helped explain a bit of the trails to me at SWW. Even with the decent directions I still got fairly lost but found the parking lot both times so it all worked out. I've had my bike less than a month but already want upgrades. I've ridden Town Run and SWW each once so far. I bought the Felt Nine Flow thinking I wouldn't want to ride too much on trails so I wouldn't need anything too great which technically I don't. But after my first time out (Town Run) I might be hooked. Looking at all the better components has me dreaming. Hopefully I will hit the trails a couple times a week and see some of you out there.

Alex

gt ss

Re: New to riding and the forum
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
make sure you take a bunch of rides to see what you want before you go buying junk "all willie nillie" :)

ps looks like a decent bike.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: New to riding and the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »
Hey there. It was good meeting you. Sorry my directions weren't good enough...
Anyway. Don't get caught up in upgrades.
I told you I rode my old hardtail for 2 years without changing any parts other than what wore out. I really did enjoy that bike, and couldn't see any reason to spend money on it.
Keep riding, and work on yourself, your skills and your endurance. That's the biggest upgrade you can make right now. When parts break or wear out, consider upgrading them...
When your riding ability surpasses your bikes abilities, then consider a serious upgrade, such as a higher-end bike... or upgrading the parts on that bike. I'm not real familiar with Felts, but many brands lower-mid range bikes are the same frame as the higher end bikes, but with lower end components. Don't do it until you fell your bike is holding you back though.
I didn't really look at it closely, but stock seats, grips and tires tend to be junk on most bikes. Those are usually the first parts people upgrade, in addition to pedals. Look around at the tires others are running in this area.
I'd look more at accessories right now, such as a Camelbak, gloves, and tool kits so you can do minor on trail repairs and adjustments and also maintain your own bike.
Anyway... See you on the trail!
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links