//Trail Status mouse over Java // A video of the recently completed trail

Author Topic: A video of the recently completed trail  (Read 5256 times)

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
A video of the recently completed trail
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
 Met up with Wayne, who has put a lot of hours in building this trail, in the parking lot. Sorry for the super shaky video it was shot with a smartphone mounted on the handlebars but it gives you a idea of what the trail looks like....maybe.

Marheine Photography Checkout some of my galleries. 
Would anyone like some pictures of yourself and friends riding? I would like to practice shooting some mountain biking action to add to my portfolio.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
Re: A video of the recently completed trail
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Like a little Black keys soundtrack to those sweet trails. I love the trails down there cant wait to get back down there to rip these up.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Sections of the new trail give rocky ridge a run for its money on the technical. Just a lot of really great hand built trail awaits you.
Would anyone like some pictures of yourself and friends riding? I would like to practice shooting some mountain biking action to add to my portfolio.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
I am going to bring my gopro camera and shoot some HD video of the new trail on the 3:00P ride.  This trail is worth the trip.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
Sweet, Can't wait to see some real video of the trail.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
I still am learning how to best use my go pro camera.  The angle of the camera wasn't quite right and I need to figure out how to aim it higher.  I also need a new computer at home, as it take forever to edit video on my PC. 

The other issue is that the new trail is too long.  It took 20 minutes to ride it the down hill direction.  I can't upload videos that large to my smug mug account.  So far I have just edited and uploaded the first half of the trail.  I will try to get the second half of the trail uploaded tonight.

I am not trying to win any video awards, just want to let folks see what this new trail at O'Bannon is about.  So no fancy music tracks.

This is the section of the Fire Tower trail that connects the Fire Tower to the Group Camp.  There is 200+ feet of elevation lost going to the group camp, but don't expect an easy ride.  The middle section of the trail is expert rated with lots of challenging rock features. 

This now gives us 8 miles of trail at O'Bannon.  The trails are worth riding in both directions, so it is easy to get in a 16 mile ride.  Don't discount the mileage as the climbing and technical nature of the trails makes those 16 miles feel like 25 at BCSP.

I also shot the fire tower to camp grounds trail, with the camera aiming backwards at Richard.  I will try to get it up soon as well.

http://indytrekracer.smugmug.com/Sports/OBannon-May-2012/22905234_bc5Fgw#!i=1853668625&k=WQxDKR6

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »

nick

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
great new trail guys!  a few of us made it over from the owensboro/evansville area this weekend.  looks like we went the wrong way at the end though, we took a right at the split.  we did some short hike a bike up to the road out in front of the group camp ground where it look like you guys may have came in at the back of the campground by going left at the split (red marker trail).

MikeHufhand

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
saaweeet!

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
great new trail guys!  a few of us made it over from the owensboro/evansville area this weekend.  looks like we went the wrong way at the end though, we took a right at the split.  we did some short hike a bike up to the road out in front of the group camp ground where it look like you guys may have came in at the back of the campground by going left at the split (red marker trail).

We tried to stick some flags in the trail there to direct traffic to the left. Might need some signage there.

Guy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »
I recently rode the new Group Camp trail for my first time and just wanted to say Thanks and Congratulations to the whoever built it.
For me, the trail does a fantastic job of using the interesting natural features of the rock outcroppings, winding in and out, and over them. I don't consider myself a great, or very brave technical rider, but this trail is built so nicely that it just invites you to go for it. Another bonus is that there aren't many steep drop offs to deal with, if you do screw up going thru a rock garden.
I liked the Group Camp trail so much I hiked it with my wife after biking it. It's a little easier to appreciate the scenery that way, and you can easily see all the effort that went into arranging the rocks for the many waterway crossings...... I've noticed that new bike trails also end up being the best hiking trails many times in parks.

If somebody could post a map on this forum that's easier to find, that would be great.
This trail is going to eventually circle back to the campground? That will make for a fantastic mini epic loop, for those of us not up too the 25 mile AHT trail.

(The biker OK sign is missing from the Rocky Ridge trailhead in the campground.)

If you're looking for a place to ride that feels different from the rest of Indiana, O'Bannon is worth checking out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:48:21 AM by Guyfry »

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
I have got the stickers to place on the trail markers. Many new carsonite signs where put in over the summer, none have the mountain bike stickers yet. Rest assured biking is still encouraged on rocky ridge  :D .

The trail circling back to the campground and a (beginner loop off that) is part of a grant and will be machine built. Hopefully we will get on the ground this winter /spring with it.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links