//Trail Status mouse over Java // Important: Please stay on the MTB trails

Author Topic: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails  (Read 25765 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Important: Please stay on the MTB trails
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
I have run into two rider this week who were connecting the beginner trail to Schoen with out going on the road.  They were using the gravel (hiking only) trail opposite the parking lot below the hill. 

It is very important that this doesn't happen. 

There are three main reasons for this.

3. There are sections of new trail out there that are not complete.  Riding on them will cause damage that our trail workers will have to fix.
2. Those who oppose mountain biking will point to mountain bikers on hiking trails (even if you are walking your bike) and use it to say mountain bikers don't follow the rules.
1. There is a section of mtb trail that crosses a section of horse trail that is currently used by the stables.  Any Mountain bikers in this area would be detrimental to our efforts.

Currently there are only 2 trails open to mountain bikes, Schoen and Camp Glen.  The is a segment of the next loop that is not officially opened, but that is ok to ride as an out and back.  If you ride it, you must turn around at the spot where the trail crosses a large gravel path, and you can see a large bridge to your left on the gravel path.  Just after this section, there are trees still across the trail.  At this point you can see more mtb trail across the ravine.  DO NOT continue and ride that trail.  It leads to the horse trails.

Experienced riders, please be very careful giving fellow mountain bikers directions.  You must reinforce the need to only ride trails opened to mountain bikes.

All riders must obey any not bike signs.

If you see riders where they shouldn't be, speak up and let them know where they can and can't ride.

Thanks,

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

TonyO

• Tony O'Neill
    • View Profile
Re: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
In recent conversations with other trail users, many seem unaware of this forum and the valuable up to date information it provides.  Perhaps marketing through front gate, trailhead or on-trail signage would provide more opportunities for users to become familiar with this great resource.  The park rangers who collect the fees may also be a great resource to let those with mountain bikes know the status of Ft. B trails and or communicate where to find daily information here.

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
I cross posted this all over the HMBA and Fort Harrison facebook pages as well

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
Can HMBA not get a link posted on the DNR State park sites?  I noticed that the "Hoosier Trail rides" company has their link on the Fort Ben portion of the DNR website and they area For Profit (or at least they are charging money).  I don'rt see how it could hurt HMBA to have this site linked on the states website to help educate people about mountain biking as well as HMBA.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
on-trail signage

This is the big key.  If we officially want to stop people at that point of the trail, there needs to be a big sign there blocking the way.

And not to derail this thread or anything, but signage is still a weak point for us at Fort Harrison.  The interim sign that Paul made were OK for a while, but most of them have faded and/or fallen.  We need to get official permanent signage and trail markers installed on those trails.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
While signage is important, and yes, many folks don't follow HMBA, it is important for HMBA members to step up and help ensure those riding at Fort Harrison understand where they can and can't ride.  Ask folk if they know where to ride.  If you see someone who may be riding off the official trails, stop and talk to them.

Signs, websites, etc only go so far. It is the personal interactions that are important.

And please do not encourage people to ride the new intermediate loop. It is not finished.  It is not open.

Paul

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
Can HMBA not get a link posted on the DNR State park sites?  I noticed that the "Hoosier Trail rides" company has their link on the Fort Ben portion of the DNR website and they area For Profit (or at least they are charging money).  I don'rt see how it could hurt HMBA to have this site linked on the states website to help educate people about mountain biking as well as HMBA.
The DNR website for Brown County does have Mountain Biking links (which also leads to the HMBA link) under "Activities."  Perhaps we could have something similiar added for the Fort Harrision section of the DNR website.

gt ss

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
I have been beyond that bridge because it wasn't marked not to travel beyond. We went to the end of the obvious cut trail and turned around.

I will turn around at the bridge if I go that way again :)

Oh, and I was one of the riders that walked my bike out of the woods on Lawrence Creek. Sorry.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
There are now signs at the turn around point.  Over the course of the year, there will be lots of changes.  Please stop and take the time to read signs. 

The best way to be in the know is to come out to trail work sessions.  There is still time to join today's work session!

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
Do NOT use the Lawrence Creek Trail Head to  access any of the Mountain Bike trails.  Riding on the Lawrence Creek or any other gravel trail endangers mountain biking at Fort Ben. 

SO DON'T DO IT.

If you see someone else doing it, tell them to stop.

There are only two access points to the mountain bike trails, the Schoen Creek trail head and the Camp Glen trail head.  See the map [size=78%] [/size] for these locations.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Huff caught me Saturday being a horrible roll model and setting a bad example entering the new trail from the trail head at the bottom of the big hill... I apologize, and won't ever do it again.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
I just made it to Ft. Harrison for the first time on Sunday, but as a runner.  Could someone clarify for me where all of the acceptable access points to the trails are when riding my bike?  Thanks.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
Check out the map on this forum for trailhead locations 
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

gt ss

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
along this topic, about two weeks ago, the wife of one of our fellow forum users was "verbally assaulted" while hiking with her two under 10yr old boys on the gravel LCT. He was demanding that hikers were not allowed on these trails and that she should leave. She then informed him that he was the one that was not allowed on this trail (as it was a 10' wide gravel road) and he needed to get his facts straight. She also said that he when he gets home and posts his story on the HMBA forum that she would find out, post the picture she took of where he assaulted her and let the forum users decide. He shut up and moved on.

I don't know who this was nor if he is a forum user, what I do know that there are many uninformed people out there stating their version of the truth and that we have ZERO control over them.

This is why when we come across folks of other user groups (and ours), we need to bend over backwards to be polite and friendly to make up for those that aren't. This goes especially for others that are already grumbly......

gt ss

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »
Check out the map on this forum for trailhead locations

Is the trail leading down to the LCT parking lot not to be used?? It's not marked on the map as a trailhead.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links