//Trail Status mouse over Java // Important: Please stay on the MTB trails

Author Topic: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails  (Read 25297 times)

john7722

Re: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
 I'm with SSRick,  If non forum readers use the park? How are they to know the rules & how are they to follow them
This is just a suggestion!!!!!
If the Park Attendant at the entrance see's bikes On or In your vehicle!! Make it very clear that the bikes are to be ridden/rode on Designated bike Trails/Paths ONLY!!! or risk being ticketed!!!!. This statement can be made as the person hands you your receipt or as you hand them the park Fee. Or a small pamphlet along with your receipt, clearly outlining the Bike Rules. Something this simple can go a long way in helping to educate non HMBA'er's

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
I think maybe when BCSP opened they gave out a MTB trail map and told you to stay on the MTB trails only.
The MTB trails are not on the Ft. Ben map they hand out yet.
The gate should tell people only to stay on the marked MTB trails.
A DNR volunteer told me he was picking up lots of reflector parts on the trails.
Most likely that means a lot of inexperienced users who have heard you can MTB in Ft. Ben but don't
know the rules. I bet it is people who just don't know yet.
I have not seen anyone not riding the marked MTB trails and would set them straight if I did.

Jaggard

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Are we allowed to use the gravel "Millennium Grove" loop/trail to connect to Schoen Creek for a short/less technical loop? I haven't seen any comments about that in this forum.

Short and simple response: no.

If it is NOT a designated mountain bike trail, paved path or paved road, do not ride your bike on it.  If you are unsure.  Don't ride it.  Then ask somebody, here or the park staff, if it is ok.

Got it. Thanks! I am pretty new and had met some other riders that told me Schoen Creek was actually two loops and to do this for the less technical one.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
Let's not throw the kitchen sink into this situation. My concern is Fort Harrison and the partnership we have with Fort Harrison State Park. Be a good Trail Steward and explain to those individuals that their behavior could result in loosing access for Mountain Bikes. It's a culture change! ;)
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

gt ss

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »
WARNING mini rant to follow

Had a confused fellow trying to ride LCT today. He had ridden up the gravel trail to the crossing, saw us exiting via the connector and followed us down then proceeded to ride back up the gravel. I stopped him and informed him that he could be ticketed for riding there. He asked how he was supposed to get up there and I told him to used the connector, ride the loop CC and ride back down the connector when he was done.

He said "Well it's not marked very well". True. It is not marked at all. There is nothing to help direct you to go CC either. Sunday on our ride I directed a couple of ladies which direction to go at the top of the connector. From what I remember, all state parks I've hiked at have markers at every trail intersection telling you where you are and/or a directional arrow. Is LCT officially open or am I jumping the gun expecting directional help for those that don't know the trail. It seems like directional signs would have been installed before mileage markers. There is a sign @ the trailhead stating you may not hike on horse trails but it says nothing about riding a bike there or anywhere. Is there any permanent signage over @ SC indicating direction of travel.

If it's a problem of $ what do gate fees and tax dollars pay for? Do I need to buy a few 4x4s & yellow paint and fire up my router? If I do, let me know...

I don't mind helping other riders out but if them riding the wrong trails could loose US access, shouldn't we be concerned that the trails aren't marked or idiot proofed? (I realize idiot proofing is IMPOSSIBLE)

PS I HATE that he didn't remove his damn earbuds the whole time we were talking  >:( I know, how can you possible go 30min to an hour without your Iphone or music  :P

wabasso

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »

Go ahead with your rant SS Ric.  I get frustrated at the exact same thing!  If there are no signs/no instructions from the gate - how can you expect someone to know & stay on the trails??   If you rely on other MTN bikers, guess what?  They are the exact ones that showed me how to short cut off of Schoen over to LCT.   

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Here's a crazy idea.  Why don't you guys contact the main people heading up the trail building (hint: Mike Huffhand, Kirk Wheeler).  Talk to them about what signs are needed where, or better yet, go for a friendly ride with them, and have them show you where signs are needed and what should be on them. 

Then go to rockartsigns.com, order them up, (save your reciepts so HMBA can reimburse you), and install them.

Problem solved!

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
OK, Signage is something that is worked out between Paul Arlinghaus, Mike Huffhand and the Fort Harrison State Park manager. Be the best patient trail rep you can be with courtious and patience towards the new/other trail users. The Fort Harrison State Park management had a plan for LC trail reclaimmation and I am not sure if it is done or not yet started.  :D

gt ss

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
OK, Signage is something that is worked out between Paul Arlinghaus, Mike Huffhand and the Fort Harrison State Park manager. Be the best patient trail rep you can be with courtious and patience towards the new/other trail users. The Fort Harrison State Park management had a plan for LC trail reclaimmation and I am not sure if it is done or not yet started.  :D

As long as there is a plan, I can cope....

Tony, I feel like a little post here is just like contacting those fellas....see, it worked ;)

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
A little communication goes a long way! :)

kabobulate

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
On the other side of this conversation, I often have to slow down and shout "behind you!" to people walking on the MBT's.  Should I be telling them to walk elsewhere or is it ok for them to walk there?  Historically, it hasn't ever been a problem for me, but I almost ran into someone the other day on one of the faster sections of the LC trail.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
On the other side of this conversation, I often have to slow down and shout "behind you!" to people walking on the MBT's.  Should I be telling them to walk elsewhere or is it ok for them to walk there?  Historically, it hasn't ever been a problem for me, but I almost ran into someone the other day on one of the faster sections of the LC trail.

Schoen Creek, Camp Glen and the new intermediate trail are all MULTI-USE trails.  That said, mountain bikers ALWAYS YIELD to hikers and runners.   
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »

Schoen Creek, Camp Glen and the new intermediate trail are all MULTI-USE trails.  That said, mountain bikers ALWAYS YIELD to hikers and runners.

Please be a good ambassador for the sport of mountain biking.  That means sometimes having to slow down and/or stop for pedestrian traffic.  And if they DO move out of the way so that you can pass, please be gracious and at least say Thanks as you go past.  Like Dave said, these are multi-use trails, not our own personal playground.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
Thank Jeff very good reminder! 8)

Jaggard

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »
Not sure what was going on tonight, but there were a few dozen road cycles riding in the big field near the main playground and a few stragglers riding up and down the sledding hill. Heard one guy mention they were given permission to practice there. Just saying this because the "tracks" on the sledding hill may not be due to irresponsible mountain bikers, FYI.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links