//Trail Status mouse over Java // Important: Please stay on the MTB trails

Author Topic: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails  (Read 25627 times)

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Re: Important: Please stay on the MTB trails
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
We can use the first 40 or 50 feet to get to the connecter trail.  That is all.  Above that is off limits. 
Where the loop crosses the hiking trail take a 180 to the right to get to the connecter.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Adim_x

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
I am a little confused, there is one section on the new trail that leads down towards the road that takes you up to the Schoen creek trail head.  I believe that is a parking area, and there is a spot by the parking where it looks like you can get on the Schoen trail.  Can we link both trails through this area?  Or must we ride from specific trail head to trail head?

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
There is no connector from the Lawrence Creek parking lot to Schoen, not yet.  There is one in the works but it hasn't been mapped out yet.  You have to take the road up the hill and enter at the normal trail entrance for Schoen.
DOH!

gt ss

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
We can use the first 40 or 50 feet to get to the connecter trail.  That is all.  Above that is off limits. 
Where the loop crosses the hiking trail take a 180 to the right to get to the connecter.

K, that's what I've been doing.

Admin x, there is no access to Schoen other than the trail head parking lot access that I'm aware of. There are some rogue trails HMBA has been trying to keep closed.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
I was told about a month ago that bikes are not allowed to access the new trial from the Lawrence Creek parking lot, I was told to use the fire road or the Camp Glen trail.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
I was told about a month ago that bikes are not allowed to access the new trial from the Lawrence Creek parking lot, I was told to use the fire road or the Camp Glen trail.

And shortly after that (seriously, like the next day) Alex built a connector from the NEW Lawrence Creek Trail that comes down and joins the OLD Lawrence Creek Trail about 30 feet from the road off the LC Trailhead.  We ARE allowed to ride that first 30 feet, and then turn left onto the new connector.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
Check out the map on this forum for trailhead locations

Is the trail leading down to the LCT parking lot not to be used?? It's not marked on the map as a trailhead.
The map has been updated to include the connector at the old Lawrence Creek trail head.  As Jeff said, go up the gravel for 30 feet and then a left onto the connector.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Adim_x

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
That connector is the area I was talking about.  I was confused if we could use that, cross the road then parking area and then get on Schoen creek trail.  But it sounds like we can use that connector and go up the rode to the main Schoen trail head.  But it does take off a chunk of riding the road. 

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
Mountain Bikers, if you like to keep using the trails at Fort Harrison State Park you need to stay on the dedicated multi use trails. Stay off the sledding hill, and any bushwack entrances or exits. I am the President of the Friends of Fort Harrison State Park and I see the park staff at least once a month. I was informed tonight (after our meeting) that there has been many Mountain Bikers that have been observed by Conservation Officers entering the mountain bike trails from points other that the trail head. The naturalist has hiked the sledding hill and has reported mountain bike ruts down the center of the hill. Please stay on the mountain bike trails with your mountain bikes and off undesigated areas (ex. the sledding hill). Thank you!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:12:57 PM by Kirk Wheeler »
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

Jaggard

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
Are we allowed to use the gravel "Millennium Grove" loop/trail to connect to Schoen Creek for a short/less technical loop? I haven't seen any comments about that in this forum.

john7722

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 05:59:59 AM »
why not just do what we are being asked to do. let's not ruin a good thing here!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:32:13 AM by john7722 »

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
Are we allowed to use the gravel "Millennium Grove" loop/trail to connect to Schoen Creek for a short/less technical loop? I haven't seen any comments about that in this forum.

Short and simple response: no.

If it is NOT a designated mountain bike trail, paved path or paved road, do not ride your bike on it.  If you are unsure.  Don't ride it.  Then ask somebody, here or the park staff, if it is ok.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:27:32 AM by jasonhilt »
DOH!

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
The approved Multi-use trails are shown on the attached map.

If a trail isn't on this map, then don't ride a mountain bike on it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:20:32 PM by David Kuehnen »
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Stay on the designated trails and use designated trail heads. Let us be the ones to be setting the example of following the rules. Beleive me the Conservation Officers if given the green light to write up violators by the park manager they will. Please follow the rules and help others understand the need and purpose. It took a long time to get where we are today lets keep it and grow forward. 8)  It will take everyone to make the wave of understanding! ;D (I just made that up!)
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

gt ss

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »
I know where I'm permitted to ride and forum regulars know where they are permitted to ride. Dollars to donuts that casual riders have no clue nor care where they are permitted to ride. If a casual rider gets tired while riding LC and comes across the old LC trail, what tells them to stay off the old trail? Same goes for SC where you can see the road "down there". 

Are there any ways to prevent them from ruining our fun?
Is there a roadside sign stating all bikes are restricted to specific trails? There is one stating something about horses.
I know signs are often ignored but what else is there to do?
I also have seen kids riding the hiking trails around the campground @ VSP. Once someone sees this they assume it's ok' adding more bikes  :-\

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links