//Trail Status mouse over Java // Discussion for FAQ

Author Topic: Discussion for FAQ  (Read 15142 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion for FAQ
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
The IDNR is ultimately in charge.  All special events have to go through the Park Manager.  But I will save you the effort.  Due to the high usage of trails at Fort Harrison, they are not allowing any special events on trails.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Wef

• Training wheels on
  • Jeep. Bike. Dog. What else could one need?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
Is this where questions about signage would go?

What's up with the advanced/intermediate loop off the beginner loop?  When can we get some better signage out there so I can actually ride out instead of walking out through the bushes...

Cannondale Flash Alloy 29'er 1
Green 1998 Jeep Cherokee
German Shepherd/Husky mix

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
Wef, check out this map  for Fort Ben   .  It shows the new intermediate trail that is accessible from the Camp Glenn beginner loop. It is important that you only ride the trails shown on this map. Riding on any of the existing gravel trails is specifically forbidden.  If you would like more trails to be opened, join us for a work session. These occur most Saturdays and ocassionally during the week (TET and WTF).   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:04:12 AM by David Kuehnen »
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

AC Tallboy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
Hello,

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms by asking this, but I was just wondering why the Lawrence Creek Trail (gravel path) has been shut down.

Thanks,
AC

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
That was part of the Park's plan all along.  The old Lawrence Creek Trail and the Walnut trail are constantly washing out due to poor design and the park doesn't want to have to maintain them anymore now that HMBA has built the new Lawrence Creek multiuse trail.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
 Fort Harrison is a relatively new State Park.  When it was converted from a military base to a State Park, many of the existing military roads were converted to trails.

A military base and a State Park have different missions.  The military used the area for training and gave little thought to the impact on nature.  But State Parks needs to balance recreation with preservation. 

The military road that became the Lawrence Creek hiking trail doesn't fit into the State Parks mission on several counts.

1) It was not designed to be sustainable.  It either climbs too steep (erosion) or is in flat areas (wide muddy trail).  As a result, the Park Staff had to do extensive work each spring to repair the trail.  This was often done by driving in heavy equipment and dumping gravel.
 2) Because it was originally a road, the trail is wide enough that species of predators that are not common in an interior forest can gain access.  This large block of forest is import for many species of animals that need protection from non-forest predators.
 3) Because the trail is wide, it allows in sun light that encourages undergrowth along the trail.  Often this under growth contains invasive species.  The undergrowth also blocks the view of the woods from those on the trail.
 4) Because areas are muddy and the view of the woods is blocked, many trail users go off of the official trail and walk either randomly through the woods or on illegal trails.  This puts more pressure on the animals in the area.

HMBA originally had another trail planed in this area but it was removed from the plans to create a large undisturbed block of woods for habitat.  HMBA would have supported a plan that improved and left the existing trail in place.
This area was dedicated as a Nature Preserve (NP) this past summer.  The NP charter required the removal of the road that was being used as the Lawrence Creek Trail.  So, at this point the State Parks, HMBA, the Park Manager, etc.. have no choice but to remove that trail. 
It is important to note that there have been a number of public meetings over the past 4 years where the public had the ability to provide input into this matter.  No one used this opportunity to speak for keeping the Lawrence Creek trail. 

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
Here is a photo of the Lawrence Creek trail near the Walnut Grove parking lot.

Sediment, washed off the trails, filled the stream until the stream moved onto the trail.  This area of the park is heavily damaged by the soil and gravel that has been washed into the watershed. 

Here is muddy section of trail with a walk around

There is no where for the water to run, other than straight down this segment.  This results in serious erosion.

AC Tallboy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Cool. I needed to ask because I had a few people, not cyclists, ask me why its closed and that they were disappointed that they  have to hike/run on the mtb trails if they want to use that area. I think some users are under the impression that HMBA and the mtb'ers have taken their hiking trail away so we can have our own trail. Thanks for the explaining. Next time I can give them some reasoning and factual answers.

Alan

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
Just curious, but does DNR have any plans to add additional hiking trails elsewhere in the park? I know the new Lawrence Creek is multiuse, but it is much narrower than the old trail/road and Iím wondering whether there will be any capacity issues when the traffic from the old trail/road is routed onto the new trail.  My recollections from walking the old trail/road in the past and from observing it while riding is that it was usually quite busy, if not crowded during the warmer months.
Thanks-Ed Fujawa 

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
Great explanation, Paul.  And that is a good point, AC Tallboy.  If I were hiking, I'd rather not have to worry about MTBers.  Haven't hiked over in the Fall Creek area laetly...isn't there a more sustainable trail there now, too?  If so, pointing hikers in that direction might be a good idea.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
There are currently several hiking only trails at Fort Harrison.  But with out a hiking version of HMBA to look after these trails, they are not as nice as the new trails built by HMBA.

There are several projects in place to provide additional recreation options for hikers.  Mike Hufhand (HMBA VP) is working with park staff to improve the hiking only trails in the Delaware lake section of the park.  We do care about the overall trail plan at Fort Harrison and it is in our best interest for the hiking only trails to be better.

Another user group who liked the wider trail was dog walkers.  The Park is trying to add a dog park area where dogs can play off leash.  Please encourage anyone interested in this to contact the Park with support.  The same anti recreation forces that fought us for access are trying to stop the dog park.  The Dog Park uses land that will be acquired from the City of Lawrence, so it is not using land that is currently part of the park.  Again, those who want this need to get involved.

There are several other parcels of the park that were dedicated as nature preserves that exclude mountain biking, but could allow for new hiking trails.  If hikers want to get organized and either fund raise or learn to build trails, then there are options for more trails. 

I do want to stress that there have been many opportunities for the public to be involved in the process.  Just 2 months ago there was an open house that I attended to represent HMBA.  There where 30 IDNR employees present as well as leaders of various organizations.  Only 5 members of the general public showed up.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:11:20 PM by Paul_Arlinghaus »

mastertim

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
I'm going to miss those trails for cross country skiing, but its certainly a good trade - months of mountain biking instead of possibly a couple days of skiing (weather willing).

David Krahulik

• View Profile
Re: Discussion for FAQ - LC Both Directions??
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
Is LC still considered appropriate for 2 way cycling traffic?  David Krahulik

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion for FAQ - LC Both Directions??
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »
Is LC still considered appropriate for 2 way cycling traffic?  David Krahulik

No, all trails at Fort H are Counter-Clockwise only for biking, except for the connector from the Lawrence Creek Trailhead.

mtbspec

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
Any chance of expansion for the Fort Ben Trail system? I know the HMBA has it's hands full but it is just kind of a hypothetical. The trails are very popular and I didn't know if there was room to expand/willingness from the park........

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links