//Trail Status mouse over Java // Eagle Creek Mountain Biking

Author Topic: Eagle Creek Mountain Biking  (Read 34705 times)

kjsayers

• View Profile
Re: Eagle Creek Mountain Biking
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
Great point John
If I buy 1 more gun I'll be on the special list!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
I think that many of our politicians like to talk tough about issues like fitness (or lack of) or the retention of young educated workers, but actually doing something about it is a different issue. 

At the public meeting, one thing that stood out was the average age difference between the pro and anti mtb groups.  Keep in mind that most of our public leaders are in their age group.

Unless we are willing to wait another 20 years until our public leaders are from our generation, we need to get involved politically now.

Find out who is running for office in your area.  If you wait till after the elections, its too late. contact your candidates and ask pointed questions about their support for trails as a way to improve the health of their constituents and to attract young professionals.  Email them, call there campaign offices, Go to public meetings and town hall ethey are holding, etc.....  We need to get them to take a stand prior to the elections and they need to know that their views on trails will impact there chances to get elected.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

JasonS

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »

Does IMBA have any comparison studies (before and after) on the economic impact following the establishment of trails near urban areas?  I believe the Moon Dog has seen an increase in business since TRTP opened.  ;)

TRTP was there before Moon Dog.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »
NUVO newspaper has a neat insert this week that has the names of
the City Council members and their email addresses broken down by district.
Find your council member and email them that you support MTB at Eagle Creek Park.
Got to keep up the fight.

Kswiss

• Kyle Schwab
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
http://maps.indy.gov/GovProfile/

Or you can go here and find lots of information.

Most important it will show your district's City Council Member and give you contact information.  Just enter your address.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012121017049

This is an interesting development.  I think this will provide a platform for us to present a vision for mountain bike trails and parks directly to the Mayor. 

garydzeb

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • Gary Degler HMBA-IMBA member/volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
I saw this covered on the TV news last night, I think it's a good sign.  And Mr. Mayor likes bikes too!

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »
Town Hall Meeting about ECP tonight at Eagle Creek Elementary School.
6905 W. 46th Street. 6:30p to 8pm
I am busy and can't make it. Go out and show your support.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
When:  Wed., Dec. 5, 6:30-8 p.m.   Councillor Jose Evans District 1 along with Councillor Janice McHenry District 6 will host a joint Town Hall Meeting.  Among the guest speakers for the evening will be John Williams, Director of Indianapolis Parks.
 Come learn about what has been going on and some future plans for the Eagle Creek Park area.
     Eagle Creek Elementary School  6905 W. 46th Street, Indianapolis
From http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/town-hall-meeting/Event?oid=2515055#.UL9PpIbvmSo

Thanks for catching this.  I was unaware of this meeting. 

As this is a meeting hosted by City Council Members, the greatest impact would be for residents of Districts 1 and 9 (residences close to the Eagle Creek) to attend. 

There isn't much value in a large turn out from the general mountain bike community ( those who don't live near eagle creek).

This could be an interesting meeting given the deer reduction issue that has come up.

I do plan to be there to represent HMBA.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
Can we get a report on the meeting?  Anything new on the Eagle Creek front?
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
I will provide an update later today.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
The meeting had less fire works than I anticipated.  Now one from the anti deer hunt group spoke up, and mountain biking wasn't discuss to much.  Most of the public comments were about a lake of paved greenways in that park of City.

The Indy Parks Director did state that mountain bike trails at Eagle Creek are being tabled.  This obviously isn't what we wanted to hear and one local mountain biker did ask a question about mountain biking. 

It is important to understand that the topic isn't being drop and the answer isn't no. This means that Indy Parks doesn't feel that this is the right time to decide on mountain biking at Eagle Creek.

Some back ground.

1) Under the previous Indy Parks Director HMBA and Indy Parks relationship hit an all time low.  We were not alone in our discontent with the Parks department and this in part lead to new Park leadership.  We are currently working to rebuild that relationship and are having positive developments (although slower than we might like). 

2) Eagle Creek is a mess.  The last Master Plan was done in 1997.  There are many locals who like things the way they are and use an out dated Master Plan against change.  There are many upset over Go Ape, the Idea of mountain biking, the removal of honeysuckle, deer reduction, etc..... 

It would be difficult to be successful at Eagle Creek with these issues, so they really need to be address prior to adding mtb trails to Eagle Creek.

I met with Indy Parks today.  We have several things in going on to work towards being in a position to fix the trail and add mountain bike trails to Eagle Creek.

On the HMBA/Indy Parks relations, we are
  • Working on a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). We have them with most Park systems that we work with and set the ground work for relationship and roles within Indy Parks.
  • Development of a Recreational Cycling Committee.  There has been lots of progress with Pavel trails and Bike Lanes.  There is a committee that meets monthly to guide the city, but it's focus is more on transportation than recreation.
  • Indy Parks is reorganizing and will have a person to coordinate and communicate with HMBA volunteers.  We currently don't have anyone in Indy Parks keep track of the hours of volunteer work we do at Town Run and telling our success story.
Indy Park's goal is to complete master plans on all of its Parks in the next 5 years, and Eagle Creek is on the short list.  This is really needed for the over all good of the Park.  Mountain Biking would be on the table in the Master Planning process.  I will be asking Indy Parks about the status of the Eagle Creek Master Plan monthly until it takes place.
The other thing hanging out there is SWW.  We finally got our NEPA paper work submitted last week. If all goes well we could have construction approval this month.  SWW is the chance to really show Indy Parks what we can do and what a well designed trail system can be.  This will be project that will help Indy Parks better understand trails and the final product at SWW will give us a big piece of ammunition for the Eagle Creek Master Plan.
We also have a game plan for allowing night riding at Town Run.  It will not likely happen this year, so if anyone is interested in hosting special night ride events, please do so. 

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
There was a meeting last night at the Pike salvation army center about ECP.
Did anyone go?

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
From the Mountain Bike Trails at Eagle Creek Park Facebook page:
[/size][/color]
[/size]"We'd like all friends to visit the [/color][/size]Indy Parks & Recreation[/color][/size] Facebook page (www.facebook.com/indyparksandrec) . On the page there is a post from Wednesday that says, "Eagle Creek Park: From Go Ape Zip Lines to a Bark Park, the Indy Rowing Center, a Marina, Golf, Greenways, and[/color][/size] more the question is what does Eagle Creek not offer?"

We need you to go and answer their question. Eagle Creek does NOT offer mountain biking despite over ten years of lobbying by dedicated and hard-working mountain bike advocates. Tell them you want to see mountain biking at Eagle Creek. Do it in a polite and civil way, please. This is a very crucial time to effect change. Make your voice heard."
[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]See the original post here! www.facebook.com/MountainBikeTrailsinEagleCreekPark[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links