//Trail Status mouse over Java // Eagle Creek Mountain Biking

Author Topic: Eagle Creek Mountain Biking  (Read 34773 times)

mhelsel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Eagle Creek Mountain Biking
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
I have been in conversation with one of the opposition who is indifferent to the trash on the west side of Eagle Creek Park - really!!  I agree that a joint cleanup should be attempted, even if opposition doesn't care about the trash or doesn't want to participate.  I can also recruit the local scout groups to assist with clean-up.
I am rallying support here in Pike Township, and I am working on the community leaders and politicians as I believe that we need to show that support is local and more broad and diverse than the opposition's narrow-minded views and interests. I also think our cause needs to be politically neutral.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:56:46 PM by mhelsel »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »
At this point, the best thing everyone can do, is to support HMBA. 

Talk to other riders and encourage them to join HMBA:  Increasing HMBA's membership helps our funding and shows the number of mountain bikers who support HMBA's efforts for more trails.

Volunteer: Come out for trail work at other parks.  It is more important than ever that we keep all existing trails well maintained, and that we are successful in our new trail projects.  Also, look for non trail building volunteer opportunities.  IMBA take a kid mtd day, Hoosier Outdoor Experience, BCBD, etc....  Volunteering is the best way to support HMBA and to get to know us.

Be an Ambassador: Be nice to other trail users, say hi or thank you other trail users, talk to other trail users, yield to other riders and non riders, etc...  Basically act as if the person you meet on the trail works for the parks or is a person of influence (they may be). 

Support HMBA financially:  We take checks!  HMBA Trail Fund / 1427 W86th St Suite 167 / Indianapolis, IN 46260

HMBA is working with Indy Park Leadership to follow up on the public meeting.  The MTB community did a great job both in turn out and in speaking.  At this point our voice has been heard.  Sending more emails or organizing rides at eagle creek would just be a distraction at this point.  The best way to help with trails at Eagle Creek is to support HMBA in general. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Inept_MTBer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
Letters to the editor like this actually help us.

http://blogs.indystar.com/letters/2012/06/24/eagle-creek-doesnt-seem-suited-for-mountain-bike-trails/

Not a very "christian" person is this Reverend CV Nelson, is he/she/they?

I really would like to know where this gamunt of awful PR for mountain bikers has come from. I've riding trails in Indiana since 2009 and the only people I've ever had a real issue with is either horse riders who decided to poach Limekiln trail in BCSP (yes I reported them VERY quickly indeed) or some BMX punks in Town Run who seemed like they were there to harass female trail runners rather than actually enjoy the trails (again, reported).

For the most part everybody on the trail I've met is not only friendly but also realizes that the HMBA has put in so much work and dedication to the trails that they enjoy.

Seriously, when do we start flooding the star with pro mtb letters that start calling into question the authenticity of the oppositions argument IE maybe they're getting a monetary incentive to resist any sort of change?
Oh look, a dragonfl*CRUNCH!*

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »

Seriously, when do we start flooding the star with pro mtb letters that start
calling into question the authenticity of the oppositions argument IE maybe
they're getting a monetary incentive to resist any sort of change?

I don't think there is really any need to start submitting pro mtb letters to the Star to try and make these anti mountain bike letters look bad... they're doing a pretty good job of that themselves.  At this point more letters to the editor or other such non-sense is just a distraction.  I'm doubtful the opposition is even reading any of the responses anyway and IndyParks has probably had enough as well.

As Paul said in an earlier post.. the best thing you can do now is to be a strong and POSITIVE advocate for mountain biking in Indiana.  Not just Eagle Creek.  Be polite to other trail users, talk to people you see, volunteer at other trail building days/events, donate to the HMBA trail fund, etc. 

Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

lenlog

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »

http://blogs.indystar.com/letters/2012/06/24/eagle-creek-doesnt-seem-suited-for-mountain-bike-trails/

There is one misconception in his letter that I think should be corrected, at least in a response to him.
He thinks mountain biking should be left to state DNR properties because they have the resources to build and maintain them.  He should know that the state doesn't put any resources into trail construction or maintenance.

gt ss

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »

There is one misconception in his letter that I think should be corrected, at least in a response to him.
He thinks mountain biking should be left to state DNR properties because they have the resources to build and maintain them.  He should know that the state doesn't put any resources into trail construction or maintenance.

If he did in fact care to read the responses, he would now know that.

KKeg14

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 12:21:29 AM »
What's the most recent update on this? Haven't heard anything in a while..

Tim Carmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
Ok, now I'm REALLY mad.  (Mostly at myself, but...)

I just looked at the map of the proposed MTB trails and realized that only a small section intersects with the standard 'bird-watcher' trail that runs north/south down to 56th St.

What's the problem?

This only cements, in my mind, the fact that the opponents of MTB trails simply want to keep this area as their exclusive preserve.

This just spiked my level of incredulity at their level of selfishness.

TC
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead...

jrocker

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
I know that I will probably get flamed for this but, should we push for mountain bike trails in every park?  There are already local trails at Town Run and Fort Harrison.  I know that people want variety and I understand that but no matter what we do to minimize our impact there is no denying there is an impact from increased traffic.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
I know that I will probably get flamed for this but, should we push for mountain bike trails in every park?  There are already local trails at Town Run and Fort Harrison.  I know that people want variety and I understand that but no matter what we do to minimize our impact there is no denying there is an impact from increased traffic.

There are already poor quality existing trails so we would be replacing those and making an upgrade.  Then in theory the more trails we have the less use each trail gets so the overall impact on the metro area parks would be less.  This, IMO, is really a result of a bigger underlying issue.  That issues is the fact that the Indy area does not have enough parks to support the growing user groups.  I also beleive that more trails and access gets more people involved or at least introduced to the idea of conservation of natural resources.  Thus gaining more support for the effort, which inturn can lead to more parks, forests, ect and imporving the quality of life for many residents.  If you set aside land and then tell people they can't use it then who's going to support that?  If you set aside land and allow people to fish, bike, hike, hunt, camp, bird watch, or whatever they will enjoy it and then support will grow. 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »
There is not much happening at this point. This process will take awhile.
Longer because the opposition does not understand what we do and is using some
misinformation to try to keep the park to themselves.
Eagle Creek would provide a much needed westside MTB trail.
Saving the riders from that side of town from a 30 to 45 min. drive just to ride.
Also this is one of the largest city parks in the country.
Larger than Westwood or North Vernon and they have great trails that enhance those parks.
More than enough space for all user groups to share
and not bother each other if they are willing.
No one is pushing for every park.
And the Lilly  charter for the ECP says it is to be used for the enjoyment of all.
Not just the 18 or so user groups there now.
Where do you ride jrocker?
Also, great response getsometrail.

jrocker

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »
There are already poor quality existing trails so we would be replacing those and making an upgrade.  Then in theory the more trails we have the less use each trail gets so the overall impact on the metro area parks would be less.  This, IMO, is really a result of a bigger underlying issue.  That issues is the fact that the Indy area does not have enough parks to support the growing user groups.  I also beleive that more trails and access gets more people involved or at least introduced to the idea of conservation of natural resources.  Thus gaining more support for the effort, which inturn can lead to more parks, forests, ect and imporving the quality of life for many residents.  If you set aside land and then tell people they can't use it then who's going to support that?  If you set aside land and allow people to fish, bike, hike, hunt, camp, bird watch, or whatever they will enjoy it and then support will grow.

Thank you for excellent reply.  I ride in Brown County mostly although I do live downtown Indy.  I have been to most of the parks across Indiana and I enjoy visiting Eagle Creek.  It seems to be one of the few parks in Indiana that doesn't allow motor boats which is nice since the places that do might as well be off-limits to kayaking;  this kind of makes me put myself in other groups shoes. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:00:57 PM by jrocker »

Tim Carmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
Jrocker--I understand your post.  I run the existing trail year-round, the proposed MTB trail will share that trail for a very short distance.  This is simply making use of an area that is unused at this time.

This plan adds a user group with virtually zero impact on the current user groups.

Win-win.

Tim C.
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead...

john7722

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
Here is an article that may help the cause  in some way.
 http://m.heraldbulletin.com/thb/pm_104134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=HDTePKMX

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links