//Trail Status mouse over Java // Cassettes

Author Topic: Cassettes  (Read 2687 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Cassettes
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
I'm thinking I need a new cassette, my rig is a '08 Giant Trance X2 and it has the factory Sram PG 980 on it.  (9 sp)  Shifting is crappy and chain likes to jump the teeth, even after replacing and lubing cables, and cleaning and lubing the derailer.  I also cleaned the cassette and found noticible wear on it.

What's the best cassette I can get for the least amount of $?  Sram vs. Shimano or other. 

Thanks all and karma pending! ;)
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

bballr4567

• View Profile
Re: Cassettes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:21 AM »
Gotta do the chain as well.
Josh

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have the same cassette on mine... I'd just replace it with a new one... I think you told me you replaced the chain, right?
I like my SRAM stuff enough, its going on the new frame.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
If you really want to do it right, you'll need to replace the cassette, chain, and the middle or big chainring, whichever one you use the most.  Worn teeth on cassettes and chainring will destroy a new chain.

If you just recently added a new chain, and still have shifting problems, I'd move on to a new cassette.  A PG980 or PG990 will set you back between $50-$100.  PG970 or 950 will cost alot less, but you risk damaging the freehub body if it's alloy.  Depending on how long you've run the new chain on the used cassette and chainrings, you may have to get a new chain too.

In general, if you want to have a new drivetrain last as long as possible, clean your chain often and replace your chain twice a year.  While dirt may decrease the life of a drivetrain, a stretched out chain will do more to damage a cassette and chainrings than will the dirt.  Some guys absolutely believe that if you keep the chain clean, and replace it after a set number of hours of riding, that will make your drivetrain last much longer. 

Dave

David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
Yah, these guys got you covered.
I've been happy with the 990 cassette, you can find them for a decent price usually of you look around.
Measure your chain with a ruler. A brand new chain will be exactly 12" pin to pin. If it is worn more than 1/16" then plan to replace cassette and chain and chain ring at same time because they will likely all be worn.
Putting a new chain on worn parts will give you issues.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »
Also, check the hanger with a alignment tool.makes a huge difference if they are not perfect.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
As far as cassettes go, even with a SRAM drivetrain, I always buy Shimano XT cassettes as they never fail to work well and are the best bang for the buck. I have always thought they shifted better than SRAM.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
Yep, the chain has been replaced and it made the performance worse.  Haven't looked at chainring yet but I bet the middle one needs replaced as I almost never shift out of it.  Probably take it to the Goat tonight so they can check out the hanger and get everything squared away.  Gotta get her in tip top shape because North Carolina awaits in less than two weeks!

Thanks,
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
My vote would be for Shimano XT as well.  Bike Nashbar has deals from time to time.  I had a M760 but I think the new one is a M770.  The 2nd and 3rd cog (first 3 are loose) left slight impressions on my alloy freewheel body.  I've owned a few Shimano and SRAM cassettes and Shimano just looks like a more thought out approach with respects to design and cleaning the thing.

I'll be in NC in a couple weeks too!  ...with my Shimano/SRAM drivetrain...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
I will be riding in North Carolina in a couple of weeks as well.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
Wow... This turned into the "Who's going to North Carolina" thread. LOL
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
I just replaced all 3 chainrings, chain and cassette on my bike.  4 years was long enough on the original equipment. 
pg980 ran me about $47 bucks off pricepoint.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links