//Trail Status mouse over Java // Kickapoo

Author Topic: Kickapoo  (Read 3386 times)

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Kickapoo
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Just putting in a good word for Kickapoo, off I74 just over the Illinois border (about 1h 15 mins from west side of Indy).  Highly recommend adding it to the mix -- especially for those of us in the central/west portion of the state.  They've always had some good trails but conditions were often poor.  I made a trip there this weekend thinking there was a fairly good chance I'd find a bunch of muddy holes and general disrepair.  Turns out the trails were perfect.  They're really doing a nice job on maintenance and have done a great deal of rerouting, adding drains, etc. to make it hold up much better to rain.  And there is also some new trail getting ready to open.

The trail system has a bunch of turning on moderate speed singletrack, several little jumps (with alternate routes), short ups and downs and some higher speed sections.  Also, they've got a couple of sections with steep switchbacks and companion nasty climbs.

Well worth a visit.

http://kickapoombc.org/

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Kickapoo
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I was already planning a trip over there on April 23 or 24. Just hope we have good weather!
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
Yes, I highly recommend Kickapoo.  It gets the official Southwestway Trail Bum seal of approval!

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

john7722

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
we at Rangeline have been touting the goodness of Kickapoo for several years!!
If you have a must a ride list Kickapoo should be on it.

gratefulbiker

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. A ton of work went into the trail system last spring to deal with the trouble spots and so far things have held up nicely. We're hoping to have the new section dialled in and ready  to open soon.
Please check the forums and/or the facebook page for conditions and group rides.
Thanks Again
Jason
KMBC

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:42 AM »
Danville is my hometown, and I try to take the bike and ride Kickapoo whenever I'm there visiting. Very nice trail system. I've never noticed it excessively un-maintained... Maybe I've just always ridden it when it was pretty dry.

If anyone schedules a road trip there, be sure to post it up. I know a few have made a group trip there before.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
Kickapoo is a great place to ride.  All natural terrain.  Take a Saturday or Sunday and make the trip.  It is well worth it.
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
I agree, I have a good time everytime I ride out there. There are quite a few skinny logs to ride & practice the balance, most are not overly tall either so you won't hurt yourself if you go off the side.  8)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

jim_michaux

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
i just got back from 'poo.  heads up on the new "nirvana" trail.  as i was leaving, i asked when it will be opened to riding.  locals said it's ready to go, meaning it's "open," but they have not officially announced it.  here's the kicker--they said to be very careful the first time going down.  they described a whoopty-woo/quick up and back down roller-type section that has a bit of drop at the end of it that has thus far resulted in several serious endos.  no one's gone to the hospital, but i guess it roughed up some riders pretty good.
so, if you drop in on nirvana, maybe take it slow the first time through.
other than that, the trail's looking great for this early in the year.  congrats to kmbc!

AL

• Volunteer and help build Mountain Bike Trails!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
Thinking about riding Kickapoo again soon.  I have been there once a few years ago and had a lot of fun.  Are there any other trail systems near Kickapoo that I should ride.  I  like to get to a new trail in when I can.  Thanks-AL

kjsayers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
Just did 30+ miles.  The trail is perfect...maybe a little to dry.  So new stuff since I was there last.  This is becoming a top 3 trail within 2 hours for me.
If I buy 1 more gun I'll be on the special list!

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
has anybody fished those ponds?...was wondering if it was worth an illinois license...

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
I've fished nearly every pond over there... and my parents still do. There's more fish in there than in any ponds down at Camp Atterbury, for sure. They also stock some of them with Trout every year or two. Be sure to get your trout stamp.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
sweet, thanks for the info...i have a three piece 5'6'' ultralight that i can pack in...anything big enough to warrant a 6'0" medium action?

jim_michaux

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
the new "nirvana" trail is ridden in pretty good now.  with "heaven and hell" and "nirvana" to go along with the original sections of trail that have been there since i started riding 'poo in 2007 (as a reference point if you've not been over there lately), kickapoo is becoming a really great trail system.  i rode the end of lap 2 with one of the trailblazers/builders/first club president.  what a wonderful history (1994) of mtb in that park/illinois/midwest/america!

if you're looking for a change of scenery (with very little trail traffic), check out the poo!  (great place for ss riding  ;) )

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links