//Trail Status mouse over Java // Broken spokes...lots of them

Author Topic: Broken spokes...lots of them  (Read 2946 times)

jdncpa

• View Profile
Broken spokes...lots of them
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »
Last year I broke 4 spokes on the rear of my FSR (stock DT Swiss wheels).  I replaced the spokes as each snapped.  After two rides at TRTP this spring I have already snapped two more.  In fact, while replacing those two spokes today another random spoke broke.

What are my options here?  Have someone true the wheel up?  Re-build?  New wheels?

gt ss

Re: Broken spokes...lots of them
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
Take it to ICS and have Scott check it out. It sounds like you have some wildly uneven spoke tension.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
Perfect excuse for a new wheelset.... Or just rebuild with all new spokes and nipples by a decent local builder.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
I agree on the uneven tension as being a likely culprit.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
Thanks guys - I'll take it in to get looked at asap so I can get back to riding soon.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
I had spokes break on my DT swiss wheel.  I had it rebuilt with the next heavier gauge spoke.  I wasn't worried about weight as I want something to hold up to my riding.  So far no broken spokes or any problems.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
I took it to Motion in Fishers since they are down the street from my house.  They tried a wheel retension and trueing.  I didn't even get the wheel on the bike and another spoke broke.  They want to sell me a new rear wheel at a pretty good price.

They are offering up a Mavic xm117 laced with DT spokes to a Deore hub.  Tempting but I want to make sure this is a good wheel for my size (210lb).  Plus I would prefer a whole new wheelset vs just a new rear.  No reason, just prefer it that way.

What wheelsets are recommended for a guy my size.  I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.  Jenson has a Mavic Crossride set for $165 - good? bad?

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
I have a set of Crossride disc on my HT.  I like them a lot but I have not really beat on them much as a have a FS bike that gets most of the trail use.  I'm around 175lbs.  For the price you get a lot of value with a reasonable weight reading on the scale.  Mine are a couple years old but I assume they are still using the bladed spokes and sealed bearing hubs.  I would bet the Deore hub you were quoted had loose ball bearings.  I've had Deore XT hubs with no problems but my buddy had one shoot craps due to loose bearings.  My Crossrides had a lot of stickers on the rims so I pulled some off and left the ones around the valve stems.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
I have been running a set of Mavic CrossTrail UST Disc wheels on my 03 FSR since 05.  they've been great.  they do have 24 bladed spokes with the fancy nips so if I ever break one it'll be a royal PITA.  I bought mine at REI, so it's entirely possible if I took them back, REI would just wind up exchanging them.

still, those bladed spokes have proven most reliable against bending/breaking from trail debris.  my original wheelset had spoke breakage problems after I got a big stick in the spokes and bent one.  I have had equally big sticks in the spokes of the CrossTrails and they've been solid.

I built a 29er wheelset for my road commuter (needed disc hubs and wanted wider rims for bigger tires) and I used Shimano M629 hubs (close to SLX level) and Velocity Dyad rims.  My LBS doesn't have a great wheelbuilder on staff, so they had QBP do the wheel build.  they came out pretty solid.  I just used plain 'ol straight gauge spokes for the build to save money but I'd have gotten lighter double-butted ones if I could have afforded it.  Even on my rigid steel road bike with 32-38mm tires, those wheels have been great even with trail riding thrown in.

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
http://www.jensonusa.com/Mavic-Crossride-UbDisc-Wheels-11

Here is a link to the crossride wheels.  I think i will go with them unless someone has a good reason not to.  They appear to have pretty good reviews on most sites.

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
I had a set of these Mavic wheels on a FS several years ago. I rode them for around 2 years dishing out serious abuse with no issues. I rarely had to true them and I don't recall a spoke ever breaking (although I did crack a nipple once). Actually they are still going strong and one was recently used as a back up rim by a riding buddy.

Loretta

• Lug of The Irish
  • Should be riding....
  • Tim O'Donnell
    • View Profile
    • Shamrock Cycles
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
That is the crazy thing about spoke breakage.  It usually starts a waterfall of ensuing spoke breaking.  Stress placed on adjacent spokes once one spoke breaks starts the clock ticking on those adjacent spokes. 

As always, I agree with Fett that the uneven spoke tension coupled with the sudden tension "shock" is likely the culprit and probably has little end in sight. 

An ounce of prevention would dictate going for a full rebuild assuming the rim or hub isn't wallered out (technical term).

A good excuse for an upgrade say I.  C'est la vie (that's French for "That is la vie")
Shamrock Cycles- Hand built frames from the mountains of Indiana

www.lugoftheirish.com

Draggon

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
hub isn't wallered out (technical term).

;D

Well, at least in Indiana it's a technical term...   ;)

dhorner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
hub isn't wallered out (technical term).

;D

Well, at least in Indiana it's a technical term...   ;)

Not just Indiana...I'm from South Dakota (cue banjo music) and that as tek-ne-kall as it gets!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links