//Trail Status mouse over Java // Another Iceman, another crashed server?

Author Topic: Another Iceman, another crashed server?  (Read 3205 times)

GregB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Another Iceman, another crashed server?
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
Once again, Iceman registration opens (10 am today) and on a new site (USA Cycling) - and the site is down... What a surprise!

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Another Iceman, another crashed server?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »
But it was put on usacycling to 'simplify' the process.   :o
After an hour and a half of various errors and headaches, I am about to give up on my first attempt at the iceman...talk about an early failure.

john7722

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
this happens year after year.
I have never been able to online register.
I always end up buying my registration from someone who won't be able to use it.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
I manage to get through, but somehow my credit card got charged 3 times. I am sure I will get it hashed out. I am just glad I got the registration out of the way.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

GregB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
I tried again at 2:30 and got through - I hope my card was only charged once.  I'm in!

mikejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
I wasted 1/2 of the day. Finally had to get to a jobsite, got back at 3:30 was put on a "wait list", but I got Will in. I've been assured those on the wait list are also in. We'll see I guess. Last year when USAC took over Iceman several officials told me that they had a"filter" in the software that would allow them to separate finishers by whatever category they typically race in. That was a load of BS. I wasn't upset until I skipped a double race ovcx weekend to go to iceman only to find the "filter" didn't actually exist.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:46 PM »
I wasted 1/2 of the day. Finally had to get to a jobsite, got back at 3:30 was put on a "wait list", but I got Will in. I've been assured those on the wait list are also in. We'll see I guess. Last year when USAC took over Iceman several officials told me that they had a"filter" in the software that would allow them to separate finishers by whatever category they typically race in. That was a load of BS. I wasn't upset until I skipped a double race ovcx weekend to go to iceman only to find the "filter" didn't actually exist.
Just remember that the worst day mountain biking is better than the best day of cyclocross, let alone CX times 2.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

mikejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Well, if you're talking singletrack I agree 100%. Thing about the iceman though it's more like a long cx race than a mountain bike race.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »
I think I wasted half an hour trying to figure out how to register two people I put into a managed group.  I finally figured out that I had to do each one separately then pay for it all at once.  I'm just thankful I was only charged once, not 8 times like one lady said she was!

My race time last year was 19 minutes faster than my 2012 registration!

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Just remember that the worst day mountain biking is better than the best day of cyclocross, let alone CX times 2.

Agreed!  Dont get the CX thing.......mud, torn up components, etc........the ONLY thing I see is to keep some fitness a little longer and that's it!  Now on with the mtb season!!!!! 

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
Agreed!  Dont get the CX thing.......mud, torn up components, etc........the ONLY thing I see is to keep some fitness a little longer and that's it!  Now on with the mtb season!!!!!

I agree that it does keep fitness. Some of my peers in the DINO series, who I had beaten in the summer and fall, easily beat me in the Iceman. They had been racing cross and I had been enjoying long rides in the woods since September.

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
I am one of the many who sat through hours of server errors to end up without an entry.
...if I watch for 2nd hand entries, would it have to be from somebody in my same class?  (Cat 1-3, senior age 30-31)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
I am one of the many who sat through hours of server errors to end up without an entry.
...if I watch for 2nd hand entries, would it have to be from somebody in my same class?  (Cat 1-3, senior age 30-31)

Have you emailed Iceman and explained your plight? They may be accomodating.

KBridwell

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
For those of you who tried but were unsuccessful in registering for Iceman, I suggest contacting Steve Johnson.  I bet you'll get in.  See email below. 

Dear Iceman Cometh rider,
Our goal at USA Cycling is to always provide first class service and a great customer experience for our members in everything we do. Frankly, and unfortunately, we fell well short of that goal yesterday during the Bellís Beer Iceman Cometh Challenge online registration process when, despite our extraordinary efforts to plan for the number of online registrants, the tremendous enthusiasm and interest in the Iceman Cometh race overwhelmed our registration system.
We highly regard our responsibility to the cycling community and to the thousands of you who seek to race this epic race; and we sincerely apologize for any frustration, confusion and inconvenience you experienced today. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your registration, please do not hesitate to contact us at membership@usacycling.org.
Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,
Steve Johnson
President & CEO
USA Cycling
IMBA Member

gt ss

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »

I tried and got the CX thing last year. Built a machine for $350, raced 8 races with no torn up components. I had fun pushing myself beyond anything I had ever done on MTB or TRI.

Comparing CX to MTB is akin to comparing a cool sport like cycling to a lame one like baseball   ??? What I mean is, they aren't much alike at all, not that one is cool and the other is lame (like baseball)

Oh, and my best day @ CX was way better than the day I broke my collarbone on/off my MTB  ;)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links