//Trail Status mouse over Java // What's the best in the west? North Carolina that is.

Author Topic: What's the best in the west? North Carolina that is.  (Read 4000 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
What's the best in the west? North Carolina that is.
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:20 PM »
Family's going to Gatlinburg the first week of April and I will get the better part of one day to head to WNC and I want to make the best of it.  I would like to hear ride recomendations, experiences, and advice.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best in the west? North Carolina that is.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:12 AM »
My top 3 trails in western NC is Tsali in Bryson City http://www.ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/tsali.html Right loop and left loop are the two best(intermediate), Dupont in Brevard http://www.dupontforest.com/DSFMTB.PDF( intermediate-lots of climbing), and Black Mountain http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/black-mountain-brevard.html (advanced) They are all about an 8 hour drive from north side of Indy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:23:41 AM by orestespd5 »
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »
Pisgah

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
Pisgah

From Ranger Station Campground, Shuttle up to Laurel Mountain, Laurel Mountain Loop to Pilot, Down Pilot.  Take gravel rds for a bit.  Up the back side of Black Mountain (South Mills to Buckhorn, I think.  Big Daddy/Gnawbone can you confirm?) and then down Black Mountain.

Epic Ride with 2 of my favorite downhills (Pilot and Black Mountain)
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
Just ride the Pisgah 111k route and you will get some of it all!

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
Pisgah

From Ranger Station Campground, Shuttle up to Laurel Mountain, Laurel Mountain Loop to Pilot, Down Pilot.  Take gravel rds for a bit.  Up the back side of Black Mountain (South Mills to Buckhorn, I think.  Big Daddy/Gnawbone can you confirm?) and then down Black Mountain.

Epic Ride with 2 of my favorite downhills (Pilot and Black Mountain)

Note: Laurel - Pilot loop alone is more than enough for some

john7722

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
As stated above!  Pisgah, Laurel, Black Mtn.
And a set of strong legs!!!

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
When I am going to travel to the mountains,  the best part for me is extended downhills.  Tsali and Dupont are nice trail systems,  but they are better for the scenery , then their elevation delta.  I think the funnest Downhills are,  Laurel, Pilot,Butter,Black, Buckhorn,  and Farlow.  how you get to the top is just details.

If you like to catch air greens lick at bent creek is fun too.

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
good enough gap?...one of my faves tho it's not on the map so maybe i shouldn't mention it

lutherprater

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
    • Pro Action Photo
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
If you are driving from Gatlinburg and only have one day, your best bet is to ride at Haw Ridge in Knoxville. To get to Tsali or Fontana, you will have to drive through the dragon both ways. Pisgah would be awesome, but you will have to wake up around 7 to get there on time because it is like a 2 hour drive from Gatlinburg. If it was me, and it is the weekend, and only one day, burn it up at at Haw Ridge.

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
 I'm with LP, Hit up Haw Ridge or Norris Dam on way home. Go back to Tsali,DuPont or Pisgah for at least a weekend to any of them justice. Too far to drive to just ride a few hours and get back to the Fam.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Too far to drive to just ride a few hours and get back to the Fam.
When I am going to travel to the mountains,  the best part for me is extended downhills. 

And that about sums up my dilemma.  I would hate to down there and ride on trails similar to what I can get in southern Indiana but ride time vs. drive time is a biggie.  Maybe the final factor will be what kind of shape I'm in 30 days from now. 

Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
The stuff near Knoxvegas will still kick your butt and is tougher than most of BC.Rule of thumb,the closer you get to the mountains the tougher the trail gets. Pisgah is BC on steroids,most people have no idea what they're getting into the first ride down there. Most are lucky to do the short Black mountain ride and call it a day.That would consist of 3-4 mile gravel road climb and 4 miles of gnarley downhill singletrack. Again you need a couple days to make an impression on yourself.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »
Yah, riding out there you have to measure in "hours", not "miles" like in Indiana.

a 10 mile ride down there could take 1/2 the day, & every time I've been riding there, it kicks my butt.

It is fun, awesome, but gnarly & technical. (Dupont was a bit easier than the other stuff mentioned)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Scholl

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
We were in the the exact same situation last October. Drove to Tsali and rode all day, the views were awesome. Driving through the park on the way took forever but it was the busy season. Took highway 40 around the park on the way back to avoid traffic, took under 2 hours. It is a long way to go but if you have a whole day, its a fun trip and its always nice to check off an IMBA epic.

If you go I would recommend riding the left and right loops. I think it was about 18 miles. Check the website as they alternate the days they are open to horses and bikes.   

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links