//Trail Status mouse over Java // Unauthorized Trails and Features

Author Topic: Unauthorized Trails and Features  (Read 1069 times)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Unauthorized Trails and Features
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »

To the person(s) who cleared a trail straight down the dam and built a jump at the bottom: if you're reading this, thanks for following up on the yellow flier that I posted in front of your trail.  As you can see, I closed it down.  I don't know if you're new to the park, mountain biking, or both (or maybe you ride BMX?).  I certainly hope you're not a veteran biker who is familiar with Wapehani.  But either way, we need to talk.

I'm Kevin, the City's Trail Supervisor at Wapehani.  I work for Parks & Rec.  Allen Edwards, who also posts here, is the official HMBA rep for the park.  Together, Parks and HMBA have made huge improvements to Wapehani since the end of 2009.  We have even more in store this season.  And we need all the hard-working volunteers we can get.  What we don't need is rogue trail clearing and unauthorized technical features.

There were a number of problems with your short-lived addition to the trail system, but the two big ones are: you did not have permission and it was unsustainable.

Again, we need dedicated volunteers to improve the park and I hope that you will channel your energies into legitimate efforts.  Please post or PM if you have questions about how to get involved. 

Other users: if you see someone putting in a trail or building a new feature, ask to see a City ID.  Ask whose permission they have.  If you've been involved in volunteer efforts, maybe try to talk to them about HMBA. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:18:19 PM by Kevin M »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Unauthorized Trails and Features
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
Legit trail builders are almost always happy to talk to riders (they may be less friendly if the trails are to muddy and the rider is covered in mud).

If you see work being done and suspect the workers may not be legit, please feel free to stop and talk to them.  They should be more than happy to tell you their names and who they are working with at the park.

Also feel free to take a picture of the trail workers and post up here if you have any concerns about work being done.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links