//Trail Status mouse over Java // New to Racing/Biking

Author Topic: New to Racing/Biking  (Read 2220 times)

nsgruber

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
New to Racing/Biking
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
Hi all,
      I started getting into mountain biking last year and can't seem to get enough.  I am looking into going to a few races this year, but realize that I am new not only to racing, but biking in general.  I have done a good bit of my own research and have found 2 or 3 MTB series in Indiana.  I am not looking to do a whole series, just to cherry pick a few races. I am just not sure what races a new rider can handle both physically and technically. I was wondering if anyone could point me toward any of the better ones to start with, and what division I should register under.     I haven't ridden any very technical trails, the most technical probably being Schoen at Ft. Harrison, which I am able to ride without too much trouble. I have biked at brown county a couple of times and rode North Tower and Green Valley and the beginner trails.  Any other riding I have done has been on very easy trails, but I still enjoy riding them.  If anyone has any advice I would sure appreciate it!

Cole

antslow

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: New to Racing/Biking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
Try beginer or a first timer catagory (are they calling that cat 3 now?). You can't go wrong with pretty much any race in the DINO series.

nilsmuller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Considering that you've already ridden Brown County, I would definitely suggest racing the DINO race there on Jun. 3.  It isn't very technical and would be a great place to start racing.  Since you've ridden Schoen I imagine that Versailles SP would also be a good race for you.  Honestly though from my experience, I would go out and ride as many different trail systems as you can.  Then based on which ones suit your skills best, or you are most comfortable on, I would then target those races. 

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
DINO has a Intro category geared towards first time racers that you could try. I tried my first race at Brown County last year and entered into that division. Gave me a good taste of how racing works and gave me confidence to try a few Cat 3 races later in the season.

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »
And Intro is free if it is your first time racing in the DINO Series.

gt ss

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »
Hi all,
      just to cherry pick a few races. I am just not sure what races a new rider can handle both physically and technically. I was wondering if anyone could point me toward any of the better ones to start with
     I haven't ridden any very technical trails, the most technical probably being Schoen at Ft. Harrison, which I am able to ride without too much trouble. I have biked at brown county a couple of times and rode North Tower and Green Valley and the beginner trails. 
  If anyone has any advice I would sure appreciate it!

Cole

It seems to me like you were wanting advice on venue selection??
- Logansport's France Park mixes fire roads and some fairly easy single track
- Town run is all easy
- Winona Lake is 75% easy single track mixed with short technical climbs
- The trails you have ridden @ BSCP are the ones used in the DINO races for the most part
- North Vernon seems like a mini BSCP
- My daughter (a  beginner like you) handles all of Versailles well. Some sustained climbs there.
- I have never ridden French Lick
- Southwestway is easy but DINO may throw in Mann hill which you may have to walk and it will take about 5 minutes :o
- Some people think Rangeline "expert" is hard.....

Some things to remember if you race;
- pre ride so there are no surprises and to know where you can go harder
- don't "blow yourself up" in the first 5 minutes of the race :P
- get a good enough start that you're not having to pass a lot of riders at the beginning but ... (see #1)
- drink before the race, in a short race ( 45 mins for cat 3) you won't dehydrate, just maintain during the race
- HAVE FUN
-

nsgruber

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it.  Sounds like I should just stick with racing venues that I have ridden before and I will be okay.  I will start with the intro for the DINO races, (thanks for the tip about the first one being free!) but is CAT 3 much different?

See you on the trails!

Cole

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links