//Trail Status mouse over Java // I am curious about something

Author Topic: I am curious about something  (Read 18761 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: I am curious about something
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
I have ridden GBC and VBR but that was before BCSP and VSP. GBC and VBR were the sh** back then and I'm sure they are just about the same. That kind of riding doesn't exist in the state parks and I, for one, miss it.

So this is the part I can't figure out.  Seems like lots of folks like to bash IMBA style trails. But then they pass over old school trails to ride the IMBA spec trails.  When riders complain that we cut out too many trees, the trails aren't steep enough, it's too crowded, too many beginner trails, etc... I wonder why they don't ride at VBR or Gnawbone, or Hickory. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
I have ridden GBC and VBR but that was before BCSP and VSP. GBC and VBR were the sh** back then and I'm sure they are just about the same. That kind of riding doesn't exist in the state parks and I, for one, miss it.

So this is the part I can't figure out.  Seems like lots of folks like to bash IMBA style trails. But then they pass over old school trails to ride the IMBA spec trails.  When riders complain that we cut out too many trees, the trails aren't steep enough, it's too crowded, too many beginner trails, etc... I wonder why they don't ride at VBR or Gnawbone, or Hickory.
Probably becqause it is a different kind of riding and can be difficult. Also it takes time to learn your way around. Unless you are lucky and live close by, people probably don't get to ride BCSP often enough to look for a change of pace. And BCSP is awesome..
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

gt ss

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 07:45:23 PM »

Oh I'm not bashing IMBA trails, I love to ride them and would every day if I could. Too many downed trees ruin flow, I like being able to ride all the hills on my SS, I don't mind seeing lots of other riders (as long as they are pleasant) and beginner trails are fun too. What I'm saying is, it's been far to long since I've been to those old school trails and I need to rekindle that romance.

Also, I plan to get out and help/learn how to build some IMBA spec trails @ SWW this year.

And yes, BSCP is awesome and deserves the EPIC status.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:46:58 PM by Ric »

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »
...So this is the part I can't figure out.  Seems like lots of folks like to bash IMBA style trails. But then they pass over old school trails to ride the IMBA spec trails.  When riders complain that we cut out too many trees, the trails aren't steep enough, it's too crowded, too many beginner trails, etc... I wonder why they don't ride at VBR or Gnawbone, or Hickory.

Probably the same reason they desire obstacles but ride around the smallest roots in the trail. I quit worrying about the "cheater lines" and get tickled at what riders go around on Walnut and Schooner Trace. ::)

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:28 AM »
For me it is all about variety.  Honestly if you had only a couple of weekends a year to go to brown county, and ride any of the trails there,  I would say  go to the state park.  if you live locally and get down more often,  I can't understand why you'd never try VBR(eXploreBC) and or GnawboneCamp a couple times a month. 

If you are willing to ride with an old slow guy,  I'm always willing to show folks around either place.  I have probably over 1000 rides there.

john7722

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
""If you are willing to ride with an old slow guy,  I'm always willing to show folks around either place.  I have probably over 1000 rides there.""
I'm going to take you up on this, after Death March. ;)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
If you are willing to ride with an old slow guy

Just remember, everything is relative.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
VSP ?

If you are willing to ride with an old slow guy,  I'm always willing to show folks around either place.  I have probably over 1000 rides there.

If you are willing to ride with an old slow guy,  I'd like to see either place.  I have probably over 10 rides.........
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

wwrunner2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
Im going to be training for a ultra trail run but have never ran at brown county park and wondered if  the boundaries of the park are easily marked if I would get off on the wrong trails somehow so I wouldn't get lost thanks.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
If you're in BCSP, you aren't going to get lost.  All the MTB'ing trails connect and believe all the hiking trails do too.  Now, go out and run in Hoosier National and that's different game!  Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would give Hoosier some attention.  Great trails and you can get in all of the mileage you'll ever need and won't be conflicting much (if any) with any other users. 

Willyjaybob

• Go ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
If you're in BCSP, you aren't going to get lost.  All the MTB'ing trails connect and believe all the hiking trails do too.  Now, go out and run in Hoosier National and that's different game!  Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would give Hoosier some attention.  Great trails and you can get in all of the mileage you'll ever need and won't be conflicting much (if any) with any other users.

*Except for hunters (this week is gun season so I'm guessing you may have some shooting in HNF).
Willyjaybob
IMBA/HMBA Member

"It's your direction, not your intention, that determines your destination."

lmartin72

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
Try here:
 http://www.browncountymountainbiking.com/gnawbone.html

I was looking for the info on GBC. Is the camp still open for riding? The link above seems to go nowhere now.

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:23 PM »
I was looking for the info on GBC. Is the camp still open for riding? The link above seems to go nowhere now.

Not sure, but it may close when a camp is in session. One of the folks who ride there often may chime in, but the phone number to call is on this page if it's not outdated  http://indytriple.tripod.com/gnawbone.html

Here it is listed under the Fantastic 4

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:21:08 PM by Ed Strobel »

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
It's still open till camp starts up. Kind of hard to find your way around if your not use to it. But there is a group of us riding there Thursday night this week and the guy to ride there with will be leading us around. So feel free to join us
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links