//Trail Status mouse over Java // I am curious about something

Author Topic: I am curious about something  (Read 18732 times)

Patrick Weller

• Training wheels on
  • HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Weller Cyclery
Re: I am curious about something
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:55 PM »
Thank you Paul.  That was what I was looking for.  I was surprised when I saw the horse sign at Nebo.  I treat that trail same as BC, I don't ride when BC is Yellow.  I'm getting an annual pass for the forest properties this year.  Probably should get ab EPIRB too...

billy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »
Remembered this discussion, so am adding onto it instead of creating new one as good information is included in this thread.

A couple friends are meeting from out of state before one gets transferred overseas this weekend.  We're hoping to be biking, but the "reds" are starting to concern me and my initial hope for nice warm weather has changed to hoping for nice cold weather (Saturday's predicted high right now is 29, reassuring).  We're staying at VBR but don't want to rut up their trails either.  So a couple of questions and opinions sought:
1.   I'm assuming conditions are improving (not considering freeze/thaw into the mix).  A lot of people suggested VBR and GB - do you think those areas might be ridable by weekends time?
2.  I also see Nebo/Hickory Ridge mentioned, especially "armor plated" regarding HR.  I've only biked Nebo, about 10 years ago (before BC trails).  Is this still considered a good option with current conditions?  I remember getting a trail pass at a small country store near (east of) Story.  Are there other places for trail passes?

Really hoping it doesn't turn into a paved riding weekend, but don't want to fudge anything up either.  Suggestions/opinons?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »
I am riding VBR for my Wed night ride.  I will give an update on the conditions.  GnawBoneLefty (who is as local as it gets) thought it may be good since the abundance of leaf cover and little usage has insulated the trails a bit from the freeze/thaw cycles.

Also, this weekend is forecast to be colder (below freezing) so the trails may end up getting frozen (especially in the mornings) that is may make for good riding.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
I'll chime in,  Last Thursday I rode out there.  If you know your way around,  the less traveled trails have plenty of leaf cover and are not at all muddy.  It still felt like your riding on a mattress,  but not at all muddy.  Copperhead ridge Sunset and homestead on the other hand,  are likely to be muddier.  Still  I wouldn't let it stop you.  It's not Brown County state park,  but it will be fun, and you won't be doing the kind of damage you would at the park.

..rob

billy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks for the local input.  I have not ridden VBR (GB a couple times).  And I know it's like predicting the lottery sometimes with freeze/thaw but do you think it likely (I'm up here in Champaign/Urbana) for Saturday morning?  Trying to scope it out as far as generally north facing, it looks to me like from Hesitation Point on north would be best bet if it'd happen?  Good to know that VBR would be likely, was planning on Nebo and/or Hickory (never rode Hickory, but used to ride the Shawnee a lot and am quite comfortable with the possibility of being as Davey C. said "never lost but momentarily confused for several weeks"...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
VBR was in great shape tonight. pretty leafy and at times the trail faded out for a bit. 2.5 hr ride, almost no mud on my bike. I am thinking about doing a Death March Recon Ride on Saturday, starting at Nebo and doing about 3 hrs.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
Jeff I think why BCSP gets more traffic then VB, Nebo or GC is the conveyance of the yearly pass and something else to do if you bring family members.  I think in all my years I have only ridden GC 4 times, the last with Gary and yourself in the snow a few years back. Why?   VB, I use to ride allot but after Gary allowed the motorcycles in I lost interest. I would rather ride Hickory for the mileage and challenge over anything even BCSP.  Lucky I have days off during the week so I do not have to put up with the horse traffic. The horses and gov have ruined Hickory by cutting the trail when trees are down, building mud bogs and dumping gravel down in trouble areas, turning the trail into a fire road.

wabasso

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
I just want to add my 2cents on the main topic of this tread

indytriple said:
Also, a *GOOD* map of Gnaw Bone would be worth it's wait in gold.  That alone is probably stopping some people.  It's confusing as hell out there if you've never been there.  Not everyone thinks getting lost is fun.

I've looked at the map posted for GB & it's exactly that map that keeps me from riding there.  Getting lost & riding in circles all day isn't my idea of a good time.  Hoosier National is better mapped/marked.  In my opinion get a good map you will get the riders.  :)   

john7722

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Totally agree with Wabsso!
why don't some of you Regulars ! make a map of your ride & make it a downloadable GPX/KML. .Guaranteed! You will get more riders on those trails!

bikapelli1

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »
why don't some of you Regulars ! make a map of your ride & make it a downloadable GPX/KML. .Guaranteed! You will get more riders on those trails!

Actually, I've been trying to do a bit of that.  Every time I go out there I collect GPS data.  I have a good chunk of both VBR and GB to a lesser extent.  The big issue I have is don't know of any good software to edit GPS data.  Any suggestions?

bikapelli
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G Wells

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
oh,  you tech heads.  One of the big reasons I mountain bike is to get away from technology.  to feel lost in the woods. 

A map of gnawbone might get more people there,  but I think Alice's map works quite well in a stylized nyc subway kind of way.

I have a bunch of xml parsing tools and a copy of ArcGIS10.1 send me data, i could mash something up

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
I know this won't appeal to a lot of you, but a great way to learn GC is to hike it. Many of the trails are faint due to lack of use and on a bike, it is difficult to spot the blue flagging. On foot, it is much easier to find your way around. And yes, getting bewildered (I've never been lost) can be lots of fun.

What I would really like to have is a topo map that has both GC and VBR trails.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:26:13 AM by gmcttr »

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »

Actually, I've been trying to do a bit of that.  Every time I go out there I collect GPS data.  I have a good chunk of both VBR and GB to a lesser extent.  The big issue I have is don't know of any good software to edit GPS data.  Any suggestions?

bikapelli

Just take those gps tracks and photoshop and make a good map

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
oh,  you tech heads.  One of the big reasons I mountain bike is to get away from technology.  to feel lost in the woods. 

A map of gnawbone might get more people there,  but I think Alice's map works quite well in a stylized nyc subway kind of way.

I have a bunch of xml parsing tools and a copy of ArcGIS10.1 send me data, i could mash something up

I'm going to agree with GBL here.  I enjoy going out in the woods and getting that sense (although slight) of adventure of not knowing exactly where you're going.  It's something different and I enjoy it.

With that said, when riding GB I've never really gotten lost using the map.  We would always look at the map to start and get an idea of what trail we wanted to ride and head that way.  A lot of times we would just ride for an hour or so...find a intersection and see where we were on the map and move on. 

Then again, I'm the guy that refuses to put a computer on my MTB..for me MTB'ing is a way to get away from it all and enjoy the outdoors.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
There is no getting lost and GBC or Valley Branch,  you are surrounded by 3 roads,  the furthest you ever are from one is about 2-3 miles.  ride until you are ready to leave and then look at a map.

Honestly since the park has exploded in popularity,  I like that usage is sparse there, especially on fall weekends.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links