//Trail Status mouse over Java // Poaching the start line?

Author Topic: Poaching the start line?  (Read 4041 times)

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Poaching the start line?
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
When I did the DINO Town Run race several years ago I saw a number of guys "poaching the start line", so to speak.  The starter guy with the bullhorn told the first wave of riders to line up under the banner. The group "on deck" was to line up on the painted line several feet back and the 3rd wave to line up on the painted line that was even further back.

Being a newbie, I listened to the guy and queued up, as instructed for my age group, on the third row.  I was surprised to see the first wave go off the line and there still be quite a few guys on the start line.  Same thing happened for the next wave.  I was chagrined to see that guys in my (3rd) wave of riders staked out a claim on the start line two waves ahead of time.  By following the rules I started the race pretty much dead last. The dood with the bullhorn showed no interest in commenting on it, let alone policing it.

Is this a, "get used to it - it always happens" kind of thing in DINO? 

It has been years since I did a DINO MB race and I am considering doing the series next year in CAT 3.  I'm not saying this is a deal-breaker for me; I just want to know what I'm in for.

Maybe some 2011 CAT3 guys can shed some light.

8)

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
Re: Poaching the start line?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
It it unacceptable to line up ahead of where you're supposed to be. At times, we are able to police this effectively, other times not as well. At Town Run Cat3, there was a severely injured Cat1 rider our staff and I were dealing with - at the exact same time I was starting the races.

If this does continue to be a problem, we'll put extra staff at the start line, watching for those number plates who gain unfair start position in this way and disqualify or penalize them.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
Hi Brian.  Thanks for the response.

I have never done more than one race a year but I'm excited about shooting for a full season next year.  It gives me something to focus on this winter. 

I know a lot of guys that race the whole series.  I am looking forward to social aspects of the events, in addition to the race itself.  It sounds like an orderly start to the races is the norm.  Glad to hear it.

It it unacceptable to line up ahead of where you're supposed to be. At times, we are able to police this effectively, other times not as well. At Town Run Cat3, there was a severely injured Cat1 rider our staff and I were dealing with - at the exact same time I was starting the races.

If this does continue to be a problem, we'll put extra staff at the start line, watching for those number plates who gain unfair start position in this way and disqualify or penalize them.

gt ss

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
Not that DINO needs more to do on race day but, the CX races have an interesting way to reward top riders and early pre-registration. Before the start the top 10(?) are called up to the line, then they are followed by riders in the order of registration. They also only allowed a certain number per row at the start. Today I ended up about 35th in a 80ish rider wave at the start which is farther up than I needed but it was due to registration order.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:13:05 PM by gt ss »

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
The only thing approaching poaching I've witnessed in Cat2 is some riders lining up behind the first dotted line ahead of their normal wave, but not on the start line.  It's always nice to get a good start, but it only works if you are a faster rider and can hold the faster initial pace.  It's somewhat embarrassing to get a choice starting position, only to blow up after less than five minutes into the race, and have to let others around you and hear to you suck wind.

That's why I'm so glad DINO set up a separate 50+ wave, so I wouldn't suffer that embarrassment trying to stay ahead of so many 40 year olds  ::)

Dave

PS Dave you might consider jumping straight into Cat2, you definitely have the speed, and you can ride more laps than Cat3 does. 
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »

PS Dave you might consider jumping straight into Cat2, you definitely have the speed, and you can ride more laps than Cat3 does. 

Agreed! I did that this year and it was my first year racing ever. Plenty of space ahead of me to improve! :D

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
Could be worse.  I remember doing a race many years ago in Michigan where there were multiple start-waves.  I went off with my class, was first up the start hill and didn't get passed the entire race.  Sadly, I ended up in third place!!  No clue when 1st & 2nd actually started.
Along similar lines, there used to be a older guy who raced DINO who was famous for cutting cut the course.  He wasn't in my category, but I remember passing him twice on the same lap at Wapehani.

gt ss

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »
there used to be a older guy who raced DINO who was famous for cutting cut the course. 
he probably had his left blinker on the whole time ;)

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  :D I'll consider it. 

One wildcard that is always in the mix for me is a recurring health issue.  If I don't get a flare-up during the season, Cat 2 would probably make sense. When it does crop up I continue to ride, but more in line with times and distances of a Cat 3 rider. 

If I'm going to start the season I want to do all the races.

Is it possible to start Cat 2 and bump down to Cat 3 in the same season?

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
You can bump down if needed within the season. When going down, you would keep any points earned in the higher category. http://www.dinoseries.com/indiana-mountain-bike-info.html#transfer

adamrodkey

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
I'll mention this issue which is related: cats on the dashed line are ALWAYS told to not move to the start line until instructed to do so and this NEVER happens. Never has. As soon as the wave on the start goes, the wave on the dashed line rolls forward. I go w/ the flow and roll up w/ the group and it doesn't seem to be a problem really, but if one were to follow the RD's instruction, he would be starting DFL. 
JFR!

gt ss

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
if DFL means what I think, it would give me more riders to pass instead of being passed so much :)

antslow

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »
Sorry, I think the cx model of the "race" to prereg is silly. If anything, starting position should be based on how fast you ride not how fast you click. Getting someone outside their ability in the front bunch only serves to create crashes and gaps early in the race.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
That is one thing that I like about Cat1 is that everyone has been racing against each other for so long that you know, for the most part, who the fast guys are. It is usually pretty cordial around the starting line as far who lines up where.

The only dickish move that I see often is where there are guys that noone knows who come from the side after everyone else is lined up and try to squeeze in at the front.  I usually think to myself, "You had better be a fast guy to pull that move.", and they usually are.

I agree that seeding people in order of registration seems to be ridiculous.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »
Sorry, I think the cx model of the "race" to prereg is silly. If anything, starting position should be based on how fast you ride not how fast you click. Getting someone outside their ability in the front bunch only serves to create crashes and gaps early in the race.

Unless that is their intent?
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links