//Trail Status mouse over Java // What do you ride and why?

Author Topic: What do you ride and why?  (Read 10262 times)

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: What do you ride and why?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
My new ride big step up from the Walgoose.

Nice HiFi, I have one also.  Love it!

pedalpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
I need to update my list, another one followed me home last week:

2010 Giant Anthem X2, FS Alum XC
  Have loved this bike for about 2 years, though the Mavics could be upgraded.  Highly recommended - may not have the spirit of some bikes, but a great value and a great time.
2009 Giant OCR2
  First road bike, great for training and fun rides, for sale at the moment
2009-ish Trek Madone Project1 frame, Sram Red/Force/zipp goodies sub-16lb rocket
  Thanks to Scott for a sweet machine, have several 100 miles on it this fall
1971 Schwinn Traveler
  Sunny day commuter
??  GT Korramakanana...or something
  Building up as a rainy/snowy day commuter (needs a saddle if anyone has an old one sitting in thier garage getting dusty - let me know!)

mtnbikerdenis

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
I had a Cannondale but it didn't fit me because of the headshok. (Though I have Headshok on my road bike which I love!) I then bought a couple of Manitou's, a hardtail and fs. The hardtail was great downhills but not the best climber, which I needed in New England.

First, I am 6'3" and well over 200lbs.

So, I went to bike builder Ted Wojcik in New Hampshire. We discussed what kind of riding I did and, after getting my measurements, he built me a hardtail. The expense was comparable to a high end bike but I got it built with the components I wanted. That was in 2000. I still ride that bike today. I won my first races and championships on that bike. I brought it back to him a couple of years ago to get it repainted, get a new fork and disc brakes installed.
I also bought a fs from him a few years ago. Coming from out east, I have found Indiana is a hardtail state. Fast singletrack. Smooth trails. No need for fs in my opinion. 
There is nothing like having a personal relationship with the person who build your bikes. If we could only do that with everything!!!
Unfortunately, Ted is battling cancer. Hopefully, he will win.
"Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals. I am living proof. Beefcake! Beefcake!" Eric Cartman

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
This summer I built up a Gary Fisher Rig and I am loving the single speed world.  I sold my 26" geared bike and now have just the SS.

I like SS because it makes me work harder.  I am out there to enjoy myself, but I also want to make it the best workout possible.  The problem I have is finding a gearing that I like at Town Run and Brown County. 

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
2011 Specialized Epic Comp (aluminum frame) 29'er. Love it.  Came off a 2007 Spechy Stumpjumper FSR (Brainless: both me and the bike). 

Stumpy was the Swiss Army knife of bikes - it did a lot of things well.  A true "all mountain" bike to my way of thinking.  Bang for the buck was huge. First "real" mountain bike.  Several years of wonderful rides.

The newer Stumpies have gone to more travel than I wanted.  Having tried some bikes with steeper (racier) head tube angles, I knew that was the direction for me.  I ordered the Epic without so much as sitting on one.  Finding XL's to sit on, let alone demo on a trail, is next to impossible for what I tend to want.

Even at the Brown County Breakdown, the Trek Superfly 100 was the only bike I had much interest in, as far as XL frame, full suspension, XC race bikes.  Really glad I got to ride it though.  I have to take any opportunity I can get to ride something like that in my size.  Seems odd that Specialized doesn't seem to join in the reindeer games as far as demo trucks at events.

Now thinking of selling the Epic Comp and upgrading the 2012 Epic Expert Carbon.  Lighter overall build, 2x10 instead of 3x10 (my 3x10 is a bit clunky), does not have Avid brakes (yeah!), gets the SID fork with Brain bits, lighter wheels.  Don't regret getting the Comp, but it has wetted my appetite for the next step up. 

The Superfly 100 isn't off the table - just a bit different (tighter) cockpit design and shorter chain-stays. Can't fathom why Trek went to a 2 year frame warranty.  That doesn't sit well.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
 "Can't fathom why Trek went to a 2 year frame warranty.  That doesn't sit well."..i believe the taht only applys to the carbon frames and 5 years on swing arms on FS bikes they had a lot of problems with swing arm breakage on the carbon.
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

gt ss

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »

I like SS because it makes me work harder.  I am out there to enjoy myself, but I also want to make it the best workout possible.  The problem I have is finding a gearing that I like at Town Run and Brown County.

Are you trying to find a gearing that works both places? I haven't ridden my 26er SS @ BCSP but I have @ VSP, SWW, TRTP and Schoen Crk and I like a 42x18 @ TRTP vs. a 36x16 everywhere else. I just can't ride the little gear @ TRTP, it's too much work :)

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
Yeah, I need to try a larger Chainring for TR.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links