//Trail Status mouse over Java // What do you ride and why?

Author Topic: What do you ride and why?  (Read 10249 times)

richmondrider

• View Profile
Re: What do you ride and why?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
Three years ago I would have told you to go get a 5" tavel all mountiain bike, but this year I built up a lightweight 26" hardtail and I don't think I will ever go back to FS unless I was going to ride somewhere other than the Midwest.  I have not spent much time on 29ers yet, but I think my next purchase will be a 29er hardtail.  Just my $.02.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
Well Im currently on a 29er mongoose walmart bike and I know everyones opinion on that but its been good to me with very small failures anyway I definately will stay with the 29er and am thinking about FS but the more I look the pricier it gets so dont know about that yet was thinkin I should keep it under $2000. :P
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

bballr4567

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:04 AM »
2011 Specialized Hardrock 29er.

Its been a very decent bike so far. Ive upgraded the brakes, tires, pedals and seat. I think the next thing I will get are some Ergon grips like my wife has.

I usually ride out at Harmonie and Scales so the hardtail works pretty good. Im having a hard time deciding if I want a FS or a carbon HT for my next one. I get XXL size frames so they are instantly heavier than anything else so I want to drop some of that weight and a carbon FS is pretty expensive. I guess I've just got to get out and ride. :D
Josh

gt ss

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
;D This thread is starting to feel like "Hoarders: The Two Wheel  Variety" ;D
Did I mention I have a tag-along and a tow-behind trailer and am looking through Craigslist all the time for a unicycle???

OH, OH! Wait, I forgot my son has a unicycle that we have all tried to ride....

I also forgot the whys on my post.
I like bikes and I don't care who knows, that's why I ride four of them and can't let go of the rest :)

Adim_x

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »
You can get a pretty nice FS 29er from bikes direct for 2k or under.  You ride a mongoose so you can deal with the haters.  I have built 4 Motobecanes for myself and friends and all of them have been really nice bikes.  We got upper end models with XT and XTR drivetrains and air forks. 

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
I ride a 1998 Trek 7000 ZX.
Why? Because I got it for free.
Put a new fork on it, new drivetrain, seat, tires and grips, and ride the hell out of it. (Everything but the fork, chain, and cassette were used or hand-me-downs) Might have $400 into it.
I did strip it down and paint it all black... I think they call it "murdered out" Most don't even realize what it is when they see it... Most don't seem to care.
It's light, tough, and climbs like mad. Downhills I have to pick my line carefully, though while my buddies on FS bikes tend to bomb right down the middle soaking up all the roots and rocks. I don't mind though. Adds some challenge to it.
I have so much fun on it, it's hard to justify spending a bunch of money on something newer or better.
The regulars at SWW see me on it all the time, and aside from a flat. it never fails me.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
Well Im currently on a 29er mongoose walmart bike and I know everyones opinion on that but its been good to me with very small failures anyway I definately will stay with the 29er and am thinking about FS but the more I look the pricier it gets so dont know about that yet was thinkin I should keep it under $2000. :P

I've done the Mongoose, I'm not afraid to admit it!  8)   Mongoose has made some nice entry level bikes under the Mongoose Pro name, and their higher end bikes are very nice and wallet friendly. 

I've had three Mongoose Pro bikes before jumping up to 29ers:

2006 Tyax Comp (the Blue 'Goose), alloy hardtail with Shimano Altus drivetrain, and SR Suntour 100mm fork.  My first new mountain bike.  Paid $225 on eBay.  Did my first DINO race at TRTP in 2006 on it.

1999 NX 8.1 FS 80mm travel (the Golden 'Goose).  My first FS bike!  I got it for $67 on the PropertyRoom.com auction site.  It was a fun but heavy bike.  I used it on my 4th place Beginner finish at 2007 DINO race.  Sold the frame to a collector for $175 shortly after that.

2004 Grand Marquis All-Mountain (the Gray 'Goose).  I bought the frame on eBay new for $125.  It was a model that was marketed primarily in the UK and Australia.  The rear travel could adjust from 4 to 5 to 6 inches.  This was the first new bike I built up myself with my own hand-built wheels and parts from eBay.  The front fork was a used Manitou Sherman Flick, with two travel settings, 80mm and 130mm.  I loved that bike!  It steered like a tank, but it propelled me to an awesome 2008 BCB ride!  I was bombing down the horse trails scared to death, but the bike just soaked it all up like a champ.  That is the one bike I miss the most out of all my old 26ers.  :'(

I do have a soft spot for Mongoose.  I'm not a hater!  ;D

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
  • RiDe HaRd . . . HaRdRoCk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
I went from a 2001 GT Aggressor to a 2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er that I got this spring. I really like the 29er and the disc brakes are great . . . I am really happy with it and for under $600.  I am sure that  the more you spent the better the components you get.  I most likely will never get to try those rides . . . I am just happy to get out in the woods and ride.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:30:44 AM by InTheWoods »
I like to play in the woods . . . on my HardRock 29er

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
The goose has been pretty good to me and really have had only one person hate on it openly and I just reminded him I seen what car he drove in the lot...I like the 29er aspect ..I want hydraulic brakes better wheels and better forks than Im currently and I have thought of just upgrading but not too sure its worth the money plus the Goose is pretty heavy..Love all the comments and the amount of rides some of you guys own is bordering on mental..LOL>> :o

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
After doing a good amount of research and getting lots of good advice from my bike shop, I went with the FS Jamis Dakar XC Comp for my mountain bike and have not regretted that choice. I love that bike and I don't see myself growing out of it any time soon - which is key. Test ride, test ride, test ride, whatever you decide. You might want to start test riding before you have the cash, it will help you narrow down your choices and also give you a better idea on the final cost. It is always more expensive than we think it will be...or at least that is my experience.

The rest of my stable is a Gunnar that serves for road riding, and a Long Haul Trucker with racks/fenders for wet/winter riding.

cichlidbob

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
I am a huge Schwinn fan.  Currently I have two trail bike that I ride.  One being a 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension.  Found it on Craigslist last month for $250.  The first owner bought it and rode it three times putting less than 20 miles on it.  My 2nd ride is a 2000 Homegrown Factory.  I bought the frame off of Supergo in 01' and built it up as a light 26" HT.

If I was in the market for a new bike I would check out Castellano designs.  He was the creator of the sweet spot frame design and will service the old Schwinn Full Suspension Homegrown bikes and IBIS Szazbo.  Below is "Zorro" son of Szazbo...29r FS sweet spot with 6 inch of rear travel that can be converted to ride 69r.

http://www.castellanodesigns.com 

1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension
2000 Schwinn Homegrown Factory
1999 Giant XTC SE1
2005 Cannondale R700
2007 Sette Reken - Wife's MTN Bike
2008 Cannondale Optimo 2 - Wife's Road Bike

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Sounds like Fett needs more hooks in the garage!  ;D

I ride a 9:zero:7 fatbike. It is the most fun I have had on a bicycle since being a kid.

I also have a trek fuel EX9 that currently collects dust until I go somewhere that requires shocks like out west.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »

I ride a 9:zero:7 fatbike. It is the most fun I have had on a bicycle since being a kid.

I also have a trek fuel EX9 that currently collects dust until I go somewhere that requires shocks like out west.

and 26x4.0 tires don't count as suspension?  I'm sure it's as much squish as an ex9.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »

and 26x4.0 tires don't count as suspension?  I'm sure it's as much squish as an ex9.

Haha, it definitely does not feel rigid :)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
My new ride big step up from the Walgoose.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links