//Trail Status mouse over Java // What do you ride and why?

Author Topic: What do you ride and why?  (Read 9696 times)

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
What do you ride and why?
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Ok so I'm anout to come into a lil money and am going to eat my words of '' I'd never spend that much F%^**ing much money on a bicycle" so just takin a lil sample what brand you ride and why you like it better than others .
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

quadracer12

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: What do you ride and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
I ride a 2011 stumpjumper fsr elite. I rented a comp at lake tahoe and loved it so much i had to order one when i got back. Upgraded to the elite to get the brain

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
i'm not so much a "brand" guy, as a style of bike guy...more gears, and more travel...my last two mountain bikes have had over 6 inches of wheel travel and i love it...now, before this turns into a "you don't need that much in indiana" i want to say that "need" is not the question, it's "want"...do i need that much kush, no but i sure as hell like it...i think the best way to approach the decision is to look at where and how you like to ride...my focus is on long all-day rides, going as fast as i can downhill (i'll make it to the top when i get there, and i rarely care how fast that part is), and riding technical trails...i haven't raced in about 8 years, and i haven't weighed a bike since before that...oh yeah, my current ride is a morewood mbuzi...i chose it because i wanted a single pivot and they're getting really hard to find

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »
Buy a bike that fits you well above all else. I currently have 10 bikes in my garage all for different purposes.  I may have a problem:

1-Trek Superfly 100-my race bike. Awesome in all regards
2-Salsa Big Mama-my all mountain bike
3-Ventana El Padrino-my single speed
4-Niner EMD-My urban bike
5-Generic Chinese carbon fiber road bike-full Dura Ace with a Powertap-my training tool
6-1963 Schwinn Typhoon-my pub bike
7-Motobecane Outcast 29er-retired to being my son's mountain bike
8-Cannondale 1FG-My other son's mountain bike
9-1980's Schwinn World Sport road bike-my son's beater road bike
10-Haro BMX bike-

I need to sell one as I have 9 hooks in my garage and my rule of thumb is if I have more bikes than hooks, something has to go. It will likely be the Haro.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

BLOWNDFIZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
Yeah I remember saying that when I bought my first bike in 1997...I think I spent $750 on a Diamondback Zetec 2.1.  My parents thought I was nuts!  Fast forward a couple years and I bought me a Specialized S-Works M2 for $2,100...

Fast forward to today and I'll tell you bikes have become almost a sickness for me.  I ride alot, but I like to ride many different ways to keep things interesting therefore I typically don't buy new bikes anymore (too expensive).  I like to tinker and build bikes up so I have quite a few bikes I use for different disciplines.

Road - I have an 06 Trek Madone with all Campy components and carbon zipp cranks
XC - 2010 Focus Black Forest Pro HT
XC/light AM - 2009 Santa Cruz Superlight built with a Fox Talas fork so I can bomb HP with more travel than the stock 100mm
AM/FR - 06 Santa Cruz Bullit - I also use this as a "buddy bike" when we go downhill riding, she's a burly beast!
FR/DH - 2009 Transition Dirtbag w/ Fox 40
DH - Just bought a 2010 Intense 951 Frame set it's on it's way to me now, I'm super stoked.

You can pretty much tell I'm not brand loyal.  I find good deals on the brands I like then build them up and set them up to my preferences.  The only bike above I bought as a complete bike was the Superlight, and I've nearly changed and/or upgraded every component on that bike.

With all that said it's best to get out and test ride as many bikes that you can until you find one you can't live without.  I can't say that if none of my bikes had badging on them that once they are set up for me that I'd prefer 1 over the other.  The cool thing is I probably have less in all my bikes than some of the new carbon high end offerings from "insert bike company name here".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:50:27 PM by BLOWNDFIZ »
Brandon
09 Santa Cruz Superlight
98 DBR V8 (down for repairs)
98 Specialized S-Works Team

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
I'm with Chuck on this one.  Don't be afraid of the long travel bikes.  Designs have come a long way in the past few years, and the bikes work and pedal as well as the shorter travel bikes, they just might weigh a pound or two more.  I ride a Trek Remedy because it looks bad-ass, works pretty good going uphill, works really good going downhill, and I like to run over stuff.

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Buy the best bike you can afford. Hard tails with a suspension front fork are less expensive than a full suspension. If you are not familiar with Mt. Bikes talk to a good shop. Check the internet and bike mags. If you can demo bikes that helps. Only you will know which one is right for you. Riding on trails is harder on a bike than the road. Get a bike that can hold up.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Don't forget about the bike demo at the Breakdown.
http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?topic=9176.0

gt ss

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
Buy a bike that fits you well above all else. I currently have 10 bikes in my garage all for different purposes.  I may have a problem:

1-Trek Superfly 100-my race bike. Awesome in all regards
2-Salsa Big Mama-my all mountain bike
3-Ventana El Padrino-my single speed
4-Niner EMD-My urban bike
5-Generic Chinese carbon fiber road bike-full Dura Ace with a Powertap-my training tool
6-1963 Schwinn Typhoon-my pub bike
7-Motobecane Outcast 29er-retired to being my son's mountain bike
8-Cannondale 1FG-My other son's mountain bike
9-1980's Schwinn World Sport road bike-my son's beater road bike
10-Haro BMX bike-

I need to sell one as I have 9 hooks in my garage and my rule of thumb is if I have more bikes than hooks, something has to go. It will likely be the Haro.
yeah, you may have a problem  ;) Those hooks are cheap though and you can get them almost anywhere. :)

gt ss

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
The bikes I ride
1-'94 GT Bravado Le bought new as a 24 spd. Stripped down to a SS
2-'10 Nashbar mail order montage of parts to make a 1x8
3-'10 Trek 2.1 road bike
4-?? Cannondale hybrid (bought from Indiana Dave) converted to a 1x8 CX bike
The bikes I don't ride
5-mid 90's Trek t100 tandem
6-'83 Trek 600 touring bike
7-'94 Trek 800 (first mt bike)
8-'08 home made "recumbent" tricycle with lawn chair seat
9-mid 80's Nishiki something road bike (wife's)
10-mid 80's Gitane tandem
My daughters bikes
1-mid 90's schwinn something mt bike (her spare that her BF rides)
2-unknown age Specialized Hotrock builtup last year.

I too might have a problem letting go as I have only sold 4 bikes in the last 40 years......

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
 ;D This thread is starting to feel like "Hoarders: The Two Wheel  Variety" ;D
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
I will definatly try before i buy ..you know there are so many diffedrent styles and levels of components it can get a lil outta hand . Wont test ride till i get the cash..its fun to get everyones opi nions  and great to see so many definatley have a bike addiction.
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

john7722

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
If you have the money spend it, don't be cheap.
lots of good advise here on bikes. BUY WHAT FITS AND FOR THE TYPE OF RIDING YOU WILL BE DOING!!!!!
I ride a 2010 Trek Fuel Ex 8- 5" susp. for racing & general trail riding
I have a Giant Reign X  6.75 " suspension All Mountain for the rough stuff
I ride a 2011 Specialized Demo 8" susp. for downhilling and free riding. You can jump off your roof and the landing is like jumping off the curb.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Being a tinkerer, I had many cheap 26ers when I first started riding.  I just liked to build up bikes, ride them for awhile, then move on to something else.  After getting turned on to 29ers almost two years ago, and working part time at BOI, I have gotten a taste for the good stuff.

I currently have a 2010 Niner RIP9, and a 2011 EMD9.  I just put the EMD9 together to race, and I've had the RIP9 for a year to do everything else.  I really like the RIP, it handles BCSP well and the 120mm travel is easier on my back for longer rides.  I did have a Salsa El Mariachi steel hardtail I raced most of this year, and for a hardtail it was a nice ride.  However, I decided to go with the EMD to race, and make the El Mariachi into a trail work/single speed bike. I had to sell it to help pay for a new car, so now I'm down to two bikes.  Well, three if you count the Nishiki Prestige road bike with Ultegra group I rarely ride.

This would be my ideal lineup (subject to change without notice):

Long travel FS for long rides and extreme terrain (and occasional racing).

Lightweight hardtail for racing or recreational riding on nice days.

Steel full rigid that can switch between single speed and 1x9, used for trail work, winter/urban blaster, and possibly CX if I feel squirrely.

A road bike for road biking or on a trainer.

Dave

David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
;D This thread is starting to feel like "Hoarders: The Two Wheel  Variety" ;D

Yep!

Lenz Sport Leviathan 3" travel 29er. Bikepacking, rugged trail, 12 hour races, etc.. Have full bikepacking kit.
Niner One9. Rigid SS that is my go to race machine and regular ride. Love everything about it except EBB which is finicky.
Surly Karate Monkey. Has been everything from 1x9 mtb, SS whip, commuter/foul weather mobile, fat-front, mtb fixie, etc. Will be setting up as 1x8 fat front with friction shift when I get a moment.
Salsa Road Bike. Campeon I think. It's Scandium and carbon fiber. Reverse hibernation with more miles in winter than summer
Old road fixie. Throw together of NOS steel frame and lots of cobbled parts. Fun for only short rides.

Wife has a road bike and I am getting ready to pillage my old, crappy Schwinn Moab for parts to build my 7 yo a XS mountain bike.

Did I mention I have a tag-along and a tow-behind trailer and am looking through Craigslist all the time for a unicycle???

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links