//Trail Status mouse over Java // Next Trail?

Author Topic: Next Trail?  (Read 6551 times)

Catrin

• View Profile
Next Trail?
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
I've come a long way in becoming comfortable riding Limekiln at BCSP. What comes after Limekiln in order of difficulty? I assume that would either be the NT Connector or the NT Loop. I've been told the Loop doesn't have quite the climbing that the Connector has and a bit less technical, but I could have misunderstood. So what is the next trail choice for a slow beginner at BCSP after Limekiln?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:52:04 AM by Catrin »

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
Re: Next Trail?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
Pine valley then take a left on the NT connector and go back to the parking lot.  You can also go right at the NT connector and then turn around at the intersection with the loop.  When you get comfortable riding that then at the connection with the NT loop take a left and go counter clockwise around the NT loop.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
The NT connector and loop are the next logical progression. While they are not much more technical than Limekiln, the climbs are longer.

I don't agree at all that the connector has more climbing and it is only ~ one mile long so just ride it up to the loop. The loop also has more rooty sections so it is a bit more advanced. I would recommend riding the NT loop clockwise the first time for a bit less "perceived" climbing, but either way is good. You can also park at the NT Lookout for the loop and cut the connector out completely.

Enjoy.

Jason...a left onto NT loop will be clockwise.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »
Jason thanks for the tip, the information is helpfu.l I started on Pine Loop and rode that quite a bit before moving to Limekiln, and have ridden the connector up to where it touches the road before the climbing starts. I wasn't aware it was only a mile long - what I get for not looking at the official map :)

I am looking forward to the time when I can ride from the bottom of Pine Loop to the Rally Campground, but   regardless, I am having a lot of fun which is what matters  ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:38:04 PM by Catrin »

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
The climbs are gradual, give it a try & have fun!
If you get to the top & are feeling OK, then have a go at the north tower loop. Have fun! :)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

bikerjenn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
are you going to break down?

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
are you going to break down?

I will be there the full weekend, but volunteering. Heading down early Friday to do some good riding, and hope to do so Saturday as well.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
I've been looking for information on the Avon/Washington Township trails, the link in that forum here to trail information doesn't seem to be working right now. How difficult a trail is it? At BCSP I ride Limekiln and am starting to move up to the NT Loop so is it more challenging than Limekiln? Thanks!

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
It has been a couple since I have ridden at Avon.  They have some beginner and advanced trails.  You should be able to walk the hard sections.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
It has been a couple since I have ridden at Avon.  They have some beginner and advanced trails.  You should be able to walk the hard sections.

Great, thanks! I've no problem waling the hard sections, just wanted to know if they had less advanced trails.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
The beginner trails at Avon are about the same as Camp Glenn
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »
Be carful though, while the beginner trails are very vanilla the advanced trails are...well lets just say they skipped intermediate.  The park is relativly small and the trails seem to have lots of shortcuts or bypasses which results in a spiderweb network of short trails.  It's not hard to start on a beginner and make a wrong turn and be on an advanced.  All that being said the trails are marked fairly well and it's small so a couple times around and you will get it figured out.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 04:54:58 AM »
This is good information, thank you! I have ridden the Camp Glen trail so that gives me something to compare it with. I've been told that I would probably like Southwestway Park, though it is only 3 miles long. As long as I've time for the drive I head to BCSP - but it is nice to have local options.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:28:34 AM by Catrin »

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »
This is good information, thank you! I have ridden the Camp Glen trail so that gives me something to compare it with. I've been told that I would probably like Southwestway Park, though it is only 3 miles long. As long as I've time for the drive I head to BCSP - but it is nice to have local options.

Hi Catrin!  Southwestway Park is fun and short.  We call it an Intermediate level trail, because the trail is tight and technical, with tread that is less than 24" in width in places.  There is not much in the way of climbing, the only long sustained climb is from the levee at the base of Mann Hill up to the parking lot.

Becaus there is an extensive existing trail system already there (cut in by horses and ATVs) it may get confusing as to where MTBs are allowed to ride.  The general rule of thumb is:  any trail between the levee and the river, and any trail on Mann Hill, is not for mountain biking.  As soon as we get more dedicated bike/hike trails built next year, and get new signage put in, it will be alot less confusing, and alot more fun!  Come on out and become our newest SWW Trail Bum!

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links