//Trail Status mouse over Java // unofficial names of trail sections or obstacles

Author Topic: unofficial names of trail sections or obstacles  (Read 5013 times)

MWilliams

• Training wheels on
  • Not fond of Asphalt
    • View Profile
Re: unofficial names of trail sections or obstacles
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
TRTP has a "poison ivy tunnel" at the end next to the parking lot.

Oh yeah, I know exactly where your talking about.
Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
Even though it is an official name, at Winona we have Puke Point.  The story is a guy made the grind up the hill only to promptly puke at the top.

Draggon

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »
There is a section @ BCSP on Walnut which includes a short climb & rock garden next to a rather steep drop-off to the right (heading south).  It seems there is one step/rock which I meet with my front wheel everytime stopping me, fall over, slide down, and have to scramble back up the hill.  I'm not the only one who does it, there is quite a bit of unnatural errosion at that spot. 

I creatively call that section  "!#$#@$(@$*(@ section"

So it's not just me!!!

Two weeks ago, I did a backwards roll down that slope - trying to use my bike (still sort of attached to it) to stop the roll - luckily (?) after 1 full revolution, I landed ungracefully against the two trees laying on my back with my head downhill and my bike on top of me.  Took several minutes of maneuvering to figure out how to get out of that jam.

That section is really no problem, but it's in my head now...   :'(

Draggon

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 07:26:57 AM »
anyone else have any clever, funny, stupid names for stuff on the trails?

On the second half of Town Run, before a major rerouting, there was a steep, short downhill followed immediately by a gravelly right turn.  Was riding with my boss (his name's Al) and the poor guy did an endo coming over that hill (too much brake - not enough weight shift) and ended up with a nasty lump on his shoulder.  That area became known as "Al-sildur's Bane" (yes, I'm an LotR geek).

Nowadays, you approach the same spot from the other direction and turn right before going up the hill that used to be part of the trail.  They've tried to hide it, but I know it's there!   :P

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
the "dragon head" is a downed stump on walnut, with the "dragon head jump" just after it (going from hp to the nest)...there's also a section of north tower leading up to the frog pond (going clockwise) that is pretty twisty and turny, lot's of "dancing" on the bike so we call those sections "fred (astaire) and ginger (rogers)"...i love fred and ginger...

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links