//Trail Status mouse over Java // Discussion for FAQ

Author Topic: Discussion for FAQ  (Read 15016 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Discussion for FAQ
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »
We can use this thread to discuss the FAQ and general social issues with respect to the Fort Ben Trails.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion for FAQ
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
One thing that will help everyone is getting signage up.  I started yesterday, but there are more signs that need to go up.  To start with, we will error on the side of over signing.  If anyone wants to work on signage, come out tonight at the Lawrence Creek parking lot at 6:00PM.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

garydzeb

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • Gary Degler HMBA-IMBA member/volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I saw the signage at the beginners trail today, great job!

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
Just to pass along....six weeks ago I told my buddy Adam Reine with the City of Lawrence Fire Department about the trail.  He brought his crew out shortly after that to get familiar with where the trail is located.  I also forwarded a link from this site to him that has the google earth trail map on it so they know where to access the trail if need be.  We also do plan to ride together soon so he can familiarize even more.         

derikd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
I'll preface this by saying the trail is amazing, no complaints whatsoever, you guys have done a truly amazing job.

I'm wonder if there are any bail out spots currently on the trail, or spots where you could skip a large portion of the trail? I.E. if someone wanted to take a half lap, or if someone had bike problems and wanted to get off the trail rather than walk through it or turn around. I haven't ran across any but wasn't sure if I was missing any.

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »
Since the trail is only slightly less than 4 miles, there really isn't Worse case, you have a 2 mile walk back to the finish, and it's a beautiful trail to hike as well as ride 8)

gt ss

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
I'll preface this by saying the trail is amazing, no complaints whatsoever, you guys have done a truly amazing job.

I'm wonder if there are any bail out spots currently on the trail, or spots where you could skip a large portion of the trail? I.E. if someone wanted to take a half lap, or if someone had bike problems and wanted to get off the trail rather than walk through it or turn around. I haven't ran across any but wasn't sure if I was missing any.
There is that gravel road that cuts from near the top of "Big baby". Turn left and it takes you to the open area gravel road that leads to the back of the picnic loop.

I know this not because I got a flat from "The Bunker", had no spare and walked back to the lot. That was the only time I've ever ran the trail.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:34:47 PM by gt ss »

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
Since the trail is only slightly less than 4 miles, there really isn't Worse case, you have a 2 mile walk back to the finish, and it's a beautiful trail to hike as well as ride 8)

A 2 mile hike is never fun when you're carrying your bike.   ;)

And yeah, there are quite a few bailout spots if you pay attention.  Oh, and gt ss is not allowed to name trail features.  The proper name for that area is Big Baby, due to the large crib wall on the final corner of that climb.

Check out the map Jeff put together.

gt ss

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

A 2 mile hike is never fun when you're carrying your bike.   ;)

And yeah, there are quite a few bailout spots if you pay attention.  Oh, and gt ss is not allowed to name trail features.  The proper name for that area is Big Baby, due to the large crib wall on the final corner of that climb.

Check out the map Jeff put together.

Then, the gravel road goes from "five points" to "turn right then left", right?

I'll work on memorizing the names ;)

PS wouldn't the bail outs be "social trails"?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:04:45 PM by gt ss »

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
The north end of the gravel trail is between 5 Points and Big Baby.  Hopefully it will remain because it does allow 1/2 laps.  I often repeat the western loop.   It's less than a 1/2, more of a HOE ( we used for the Hoosier outdoor Experience last year).
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Is it okay to take this gravel pathway?

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
Yes.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Rich_Ries

• View Profile
    • Big Ring Adventure Team
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »
We have a page on the Born2Roam site with links to maps and elevation profiles, an overview of other activities available in and around the park, plus some pictures of the trails. Here's the link: http://www.born2roam.com/fortharrison.htm

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Rich,
  The crib wall photo was my first Fort Harrison crib wall that could not have happened without the help of many strong Volunteers that carried the stone up from the creek bed and surround area. ;D
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

mkubancsek

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
who is "in charge" of the trail at Ft Ben? I want to discuss an opportunity related to racing there... not sure who to contact. just the park main office?

thanks.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links