//Trail Status mouse over Java // Schoen Creek soul riding

Author Topic: Schoen Creek soul riding  (Read 10225 times)

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Schoen Creek soul riding
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
Don't know if the two quoted below will notice but thought I'd move this conversation from the Trail Building Updates thread to here since it doesn't really related to Trail Building Updates.

As I am chicken to ride Schoen, I totally agree with Paul that the new intermediate trail should be a true "intermediate" level trail, especially since it's an off-shoot from the beginner trail.
     Don't be scared. My daughter whom is 20, started riding @ 18 and has ridden; Schoen crk, Wapehani, all of VSP, all but Schooner @ BSCP, most of Rangeline, TRTP, SWW, and General Butler all with very little experience. I have ridden behind her on all these trails and she just rides in control with confidence. She clears most of the obstacles on most of the trails and if she doesn't think she can make it, she walks (this usually makes her mad though). She has fallen over on Cliffside and Creekside @ VSP due to their extreme nature which just serves to piss her off.
     My point is, ride Schoen Crk with confidence but when you come to an obstacle that concerns you, get off and walk. You'll be back later and can try it next time or walk it again. Don't pass up an awesome trail because of 3 or 4 obstacles.

Wanted to echo what get ss is saying.  I had done very little MTB'ing (and almost nothing technical) before riding Schoen Creek earlier this year.  I did three loops my first time out.   First time through, I dismounted maybe 6-8 times.  Second time through, 4-5.  Third time, just 2 or 3.  On subsequent days, I have made it through the entire trail w/o dismounting.  It does surprise me sometimes how different conditions or just my mental attitude in general might make different sections scarier.  Confidence is key but so is knowing your limitations.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:05:07 AM by Doe »

gt ss

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
So, I was soul riding today when one of those little 1" in diameter trees before the second to last bridge leaned over the trail and nipped the right end of my bars. **BAM** :o Before I could say "S" I was on the ground.

I consider myself a skilled rider that always wear a helmet and good thing too because I felt my head hit the trail hard. I have a knot on my left knee, a raspberry on my left elbow and some (hopefully) bruised ribs.

When I reached the lot after the second lap when I got my flat, four morons youthful gentlemen came out sans helm. If my thoughs had been clearer, I would have advised them thusly of the dangers out there in our playground.

Moral of the story; Don't go too soul out there, one of the trees may step out in front of you.

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
lol...enjoyed the story, ss!  8)

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
"As I am chicken to ride Schoen, I totally agree with Paul that the new intermediate trail should be a true "intermediate" level trail, especially since it's an off-shoot from the beginner trail."

Ha! My 6 year old daughter rode 1/2 of Schoen Saturday with me... She got many kudos from riders, and thankfully, all were polite and paitent as she powered up climbs, and over logs...
She made it all the way to the switchback near the gate house before she accidently locked up her front wheel and slid and fell. I told here to stop before she got to the turn because I didn't want her trying to ride down that hill with the huge drop-off to the side.
A quick couple bandaids from the Camelbak, and a sir-down break on a nearby log, and we made our way to the bottom of the ravine and resumed riding. Once down alongside the creek, we short-cutted across the creek and to the road. I was very proud of her, and she even proceeded to ride two laps of Glenn Camp trail once our friends got there.
I'm sure I'll have her riding the whole trail by the end of the summer.
As long as you aren't afraid to walk the "scary sections" Schoen is a very enjoyable trail.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
So, I was soul riding today when one of those little 1" in diameter trees before the second to last bridge leaned over the trail and nipped the right end of my bars. **BAM** :o Before I could say "S" I was on the ground.

I consider myself a skilled rider that always wear a helmet and good thing too because I felt my head hit the trail hard. I have a knot on my left knee, a raspberry on my left elbow and some (hopefully) bruised ribs.

When I reached the lot after the second lap when I got my flat, four morons youthful gentlemen came out sans helm. If my thoughs had been clearer, I would have advised them thusly of the dangers out there in our playground.

Moral of the story; Don't go too soul out there, one of the trees may step out in front of you.
But is the tree okay?  Ha!
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

gt ss

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »

But is the tree okay?  Ha!

I checked it three times today, the lil sob seems fine. I think I heard it laugh the first time by though.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links