//Trail Status mouse over Java // Schoen Creek soul riding

Author Topic: Schoen Creek soul riding  (Read 10190 times)

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Schoen Creek soul riding
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »

"It's pretty sad" that one has to be judgmental of those who like to ride "fast".

Yes, it is pretty sad that there are some riders whose desire for a "hot lap" makes them act like complete armholes and make the rest of  us have to be judgmental of them.

No one should every be in such a hurry that they cannot be courteous to hikers and fellow riders. Let me be clear, I have yet to encounter any jackholes at the Fort nor am I accusing anyone of such activity.  But the fact is that if we are not courteous to all the trail users, including other cyclist, we will be giving ammo to the opposition that Huff was talking about.

By all means we should always strive to improve our performance.  But no one should expect that they will the trail to themselves.  On a multi-use trail, cyclists HAVE to expect that there may be hikers/runners/slower cyclists around every corner.  And on a trail like Schoen Creek, we should plan on encountering groups of less experienced riders bottle necked at the technical features. 

That said, go out and wear Schoen Creek out.  Just keep your speed within the capacity of your brakes.  And be courteous.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

gt ss

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »

"It's pretty sad" that one has to be judgmental of those who like to ride "fast".

Yes, it is pretty sad that there are some riders whose desire for a "hot lap" makes them act like complete armholes and make the rest of  us have to be judgmental of them.

No one should every be in such a hurry that they cannot be courteous to hikers and fellow riders. Let me be clear, I have yet to encounter any jackholes at the Fort nor am I accusing anyone of such activity.  But the fact is that if we are not courteous to all the trail users, including other cyclist, we will be giving ammo to the opposition that Huff was talking about.

By all means we should always strive to improve our performance.  But no one should expect that they will the trail to themselves.  On a multi-use trail, cyclists HAVE to expect that there may be hikers/runners/slower cyclists around every corner.  And on a trail like Schoen Creek, we should plan on encountering groups of less experienced riders bottle necked at the technical features. 

That said, go out and wear Schoen Creek out.  Just keep your speed within the capacity of your brakes.  And be courteous.

Done.

I appreciate the great layout on this trail. Variety, curvy, scenic etc. I especially like how you can climb and descend up and down these big hills without really busting a gut. Quite a difference from what we started with 20 years ago.

and done.

MWilliams

• Training wheels on
  • Not fond of Asphalt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
High temps in the 70's and I'm off work for the next thee days. I know where I'll be spending some of my time at.....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:18:58 PM by MWilliams »
Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
hahah, love the photo, MW!  So ticked at myself for not getting out today but I kept worrying about the rain that never really developed!  Planning on a long road ride tomorrow.  Maybe Schoen Creek soul riding later in the week!

harcuvar

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
Some very poor trail etiquette this evening, sad... Calm your swollen egos! Riders like I encountered tonight make me ponder never going back to that trail.

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:02 PM »
Some very poor trail etiquette this evening, sad... Calm your swollen egos! Riders like I encountered tonight make me ponder never going back to that trail.

There are jerks everywhere.  Don't blame the trail!

MWilliams

• Training wheels on
  • Not fond of Asphalt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »
There are jerks everywhere.  Don't blame the trail!

Ditto!  I have rode it boo-koo times and have yet come in any contact with any undesirables and I'm slower than a ....  

;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:15:39 AM by MWilliams »

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »

You need to separate the rude individuals from the trail itself.  Hell, if I decided not to ride certain trails based upon bad experiences with other riders, Town Run, SWW and a number of other trails would be on my "no-fly" list.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

garydzeb

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • Gary Degler HMBA-IMBA member/volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
I hike the trails often, and I try to go facing bike traffic so I can see them coming, and I always get off of the trail for them.  Every biker I have met has been friendly and polite (except a couple just silent ones), and they usually have a few kind words to say.  I have yet to meet an a**hole biker at Ft. Ben.  

A nice guy yesterday said 'go ahead' when we both stopped for each other, and I said 'you go ahead... It's your trail'.  He said 'no-' as he started going, 'it's OUR trail'.  Now THAT guy had the right attitude!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:17:53 PM by garydzeb »

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
The eye's are watching you.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »

Private eyes...are Watching you...

sorry, for some reason your post got that song in my head.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
No, the eye's of the trail, just keep on the look out for what I mean.

indy53rider

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to MWilliams for showing me around a bit yesterday! I think these trails have become my favorite. Such AWESOME trails with such a cool vibe. Its hard to believe you are actually riding in indianapolis!!!  Thanks again Joe Voigt

MWilliams

• Training wheels on
  • Not fond of Asphalt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to MWilliams for showing me around a bit yesterday!

Quite welcome Joe, always glad to help.

MWilliams

• Training wheels on
  • Not fond of Asphalt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Granted I grew up in the pre-helmet days, but I was quite surprised to see so many adults & children riding the trail without helmets on Sunday.

Just an observation.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links