//Trail Status mouse over Java // How many miles can you ride?

Author Topic: How many miles can you ride?  (Read 7093 times)

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles can you ride?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
Yeah I get it ..I keep my eyes open waitin for that once in a lifetime deal gotta be a 29er with discs yeah Im poor but Im picky...lol
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
Yeah I get it ..I keep my eyes open waitin for that once in a lifetime deal gotta be a 29er with discs yeah Im poor but Im picky...lol

Had a buddy here in the 'Ville long on friends, but short on cash. It didn't take much scrounging the parts bins, a few bro-deals and some scrounging on craigslist, e-bay and mtbr.com to come up with just what you suggest. Getting close to the perfect time of the year for such activities!

Poor fitting and poor performing bikes have driven many a rider away from mountain biking...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
I have been riding for a while, but a typical weeknight ride for me at BCSP (my home course) would be to park at the trailhead, do Pine Valley, up to the North Tower and Aynes loop (clockwise on both) out to Hesitation Point and then back hitting Green Valley on the return. A typical weekend ride would be to go all the way to the campground, hitting Schooner on the way out, all of Walnut on the way back. The most trail miles that I have done in a day is 214.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
Wow, 214 trail miles seems incredible!  Where was that?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »

It was a 24 hour race in Wisconsin about a month ago. The 24 hours of Wausau. I will say that doing that kind of miles will wreck your body for a few weeks especially when you are 45 years old. I am just barely recovered and am foolishly going to do it again at the 24 hours of DINO in 11 days.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
I have done the pine. aynes , hesitation point ride minus the green valley on the return and was proud to finish that but Mr Fett you sir I think have become my new hero..being as I just quit smoking in may the same time I started riding the climbs still get me some but Im comin around...just curious how much of schooner can you ride I have only hiked it.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »
I have done the pine. aynes , hesitation point ride minus the green valley on the return and was proud to finish that but Mr Fett you sir I think have become my new hero..being as I just quit smoking in may the same time I started riding the climbs still get me some but Im comin around...just curious how much of schooner can you ride I have only hiked it.

Thanks.  On Schooner, I ride from the Hesitation entrance towards Hoosiers Nest most of the time. There are 3 sections totalling about 120 feet in that direction that I  cannot ride. The first one is the steep down left hander about 1/4 mile in. I did make it down once, but I would call it more of a controlled fall more than riding it and I almost went over the edge and down the ravine.  The second one is the the stairstep waterfall climb by the big rock face about 2/3 of the way in. I think it can be done with some good trials skills and great power. Matt Battin has come the closest that I have seen to anyone doing it. The third section is the climbing the big boulder field at the end of the trail onto the Walnut trail.

I have ridden down sections 2 and 3 in the opposite directions, although the next time I tried section 3 to show someone I could do it, I crashed and racked myself big time, so I am not doing it anymore. Discretion is the better part of valor.  It definitely is a challenge. I don't make all of the other sections all of the time, but have fun trying.

gt ss

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »

It was a 24 hour race in Wisconsin about a month ago. The 24 hours of Wausau. I will say that doing that kind of miles will wreck your body for a few weeks especially when you are 45 years old. I am just barely recovered and am foolishly going to do it again at the 24 hours of DINO in 11 days.
What kind of course was @ Wausau?  214 sounds outstanding.

2 years ago when I was 45, I put in 143 @ DINO's 24 hr in Versailles. Could have only done 13 more if it hadn't rained in the morning.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »

What kind of course was @ Wausau?  214 sounds outstanding.

2 years ago when I was 45, I put in 143 @ DINO's 24 hr in Versailles. Could have only done 13 more if it hadn't rained in the morning.

It was a little hillier than Versailles but some of the climbs were on fireroads, pretty comparable, difficulty wise. There was also a 3 hour lightning/storm delay in the early afternoon as a fierce storm blew through, so I it actually had 21 hours of riding time. It was wet for the rest of the race.

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
2 years ago when I was 45, I put in 143 @ DINO's 24 hr in Versailles.

I did ~ 180 at the same ride. I'm ashamed to say I also tapped out when the rain came.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »
It's funny how riding a few years can make such a big difference in fitness & endurance.

I remember the first year I started riding, I would have to stop 1/2 way through at town run for a rest under the bridge.

Last year was the most dirt miles I have done in 1 day, at the Breakdown, a hair over 60 miles. Felt good after too I was surprised.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
It's funny how riding a few years can make such a big difference in fitness & endurance.

I remember the first year I started riding, I would have to stop 1/2 way through at town run for a rest under the bridge.

Last year was the most dirt miles I have done in 1 day, at the Breakdown, a hair over 60 miles. Felt good after too I was surprised.

LOL..I know the feeling my first ride was at SWW after reading on here about guys turnin multiple laps there I thought I was gonna die the first trip up the hill. But its gettin better... ;D

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
Awesome ride stories!  I managed to do 85 last year at BCB, but the last few miles always hurt and I cramped going up Combs "Road."  I have 22 years of running, nine marathons, and several road centuries that developed my mental capacity to push through pain and suffering, so I'm ready to take on 100 miles at the BCB this year.  Al Weir and I got in a very good 77 mile BCB pre-ride this past weekend, we followed the BCB route through the park, then rode through the horse camp to 135 and into Story, then picked up Nebo to the Maumee bridge, did the short loop on 18, 19, 20 back to Maumee, then upCombs road to Nebo, and retraced our way back to Story.  Due to a motorcycle crash/fatality on 135, we were forced to detour down to Christiansburg and over to Orchard Road to get back to the park, hit Limekiln and then the roads back to north gate.

We didn't cramp once, due to nailing our hydration and nutrition plan.  Six gel packs, two 24 oz bottles of double strength Perpetuem, 150 oz of straight water, two bananas, one apple, electrolyte caps and ibuprofen every 90 minutes.  The real key to long distance riding is to hydrate EARLY and OFTEN!  If you don't you can't play catch-up.  A way to gauge how your hydration is working, is to check how clear your urine is when you have to pee.  If it's clear or very light yellow, and you have to pee about every 1.5 to 2 hours, you're OK.  But if it's very dark, or you don't pee very often, you're getting dehydrated.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:58:57 AM by David Gardner »
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

mgriffey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
Awesome ride stories!  I managed to do 85 last year at BCB, but the last few miles always hurt and I cramped going up Combs "Road."  I have 22 years of running, nine marathons, and several road centuries that developed my mental capacity to push through pain and suffering, so I'm ready to take on 100 miles at the BCB this year.  Al Weir and I got in a very good 77 mile BCB pre-ride this past weekend, we followed the BCB route through the park, then rode through the horse camp to 135 and into Story, then picked up Nebo to the Maumee bridge, did the short loop on 18, 19, 20 back to Maumee, then upCombs road to Nebo, and retraced our way back to Story.  Due to a motorcycle crash/fatality on 135, we were forced to detour down to Christiansburg and over to Orchard Road to get back to the park, hit Limekiln and then the roads back to north gate.

We didn't cramp once, due to nailing our hydration and nutrition plan.  Six gel packs, two 24 oz bottles of double strength Perpetuem, 150 oz of straight water, two bananas, one apple, electrolyte caps and ibuprofen every 90 minutes.  The real key to long distance riding is to hydrate EARLY and OFTEN!  If you don't you can't play catch-up.  A way to gauge how your hydration is working, is to check how clear your urine is when you have to pee.  If it's clear or very light yellow, and you have to pee about every 1.5 to 2 hours, you're OK.  But if it's very dark, or you don't pee very often, you're getting dehydrated.

Dave

Did you carry all of that with you during the whole ride, or did you stash some of it and pick it up along the way?  How often are you taking those supplements?

My wife and I are starting to put in long rides and need some nutrition coaches.  My back seems to be the first thing to hurt on rides over 20 miles.  Is that what the ibuprophen is for?

Mike

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »

Did you carry all of that with you during the whole ride, or did you stash some of it and pick it up along the way?  How often are you taking those supplements?

My wife and I are starting to put in long rides and need some nutrition coaches.  My back seems to be the first thing to hurt on rides over 20 miles.  Is that what the ibuprophen is for?

Mike

We carried everything we needed.  My Hydrapak bladder holds 100 oz of fluid, and I carried a fork pump, wallet, phone, camera, extra tube, multi-tool, sidecuts, zipties, co2 inflator and cartridges, lights, two bananas, apple, three envelopes of Perpetuem, eight gelpacks, ibuprofen and electrolyte caps.  I drank my bottle of Perpetuem and about 30 oz of water by the time we got to the end of Limekiln.  Mixed a new bottle and topped off my bladder, and didn't have to reload till we got back to the horse camp on our way back in from Story.  I intended to have the pack weigh as much as possible to get used to riding loaded down.  It was about 10 lbs.

Since we'll have sag stops it won't be necessary to carry that much water or food, since we can load our own sag bags to get taken to the sags.  If you have a 70 oz Camelbak/Hydrapak that should be fine.

The ibuprofen was for pain killing, I get a sore back too.

In general, my plan is to take a gelpack every 45 minutes, banana or some fruit every two hours, and three electrolyte caps every hour.  I'll drink a double strength bottle of Perpetuem over the course of every two hours, and reload the Hydrapack at every water opportunity.  The key to hydration is to force yourself to drink early and often.  It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the first hour or two of the ride, but if you don't take in enough liquids in that time, it will make or break your ride.  You literally will need to drink at least 8 oz of water every 15 minutes.

Hope that helps!  Dave

David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links