//Trail Status mouse over Java // How many miles can you ride?

Author Topic: How many miles can you ride?  (Read 7094 times)

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
How many miles can you ride?
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
Being this is my first year riding , and in an attempt to judge how out of shape I am, I am curious to how many miles of trail on average you can ride in a day? I know there are all sort of factors that can play in to this just speaking in general terms. If you care to share give an example i.e " I can do 5 laps on green valley " somethin like that

Rob
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles can you ride?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
Not sure of mileage but often ride pine, north tower, Aynes and sometimes green valley a couple times a week. 

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
I'm curious how road endurance translates to the trail.  Most road miles I've done in a day is 165 (R.A.IN) and have done 500+ in five days.  So far, the most I've done off road is 3 laps at Ft. Ben.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
I would say MTB miles are going to be more taxing overall than road miles.  You have to put more work into a mtb per mile dealing with the bumps, turns, features and other obstacles.   How many miles you could do on each is going to be different for each rider. 
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
This is what I rode on Sunday...Turtle,Creekside,Clifside and Grandview at VSP then drove to BCSP and rode from the North parking lot CW on greenvalley then back thought I was gonna die that was the most I have rode in one day.

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:51:59 PM »
I'm curious how road endurance translates to the trail.  Most road miles I've done in a day is 165 (R.A.IN) and have done 500+ in five days.  So far, the most I've done off road is 3 laps at Ft. Ben.

I'm sure you would do quite well. I've ridden with many roadies that were dabbling or starting to get into mountain biking. They tend to do very well on long sustained non-technical climbs over primary mountain bikers of lesser endurance capabilities, but the skill set for most other areas is often needed. There is also a tendency for many of them to have difficulty getting the flow of the trail down where they can gain (or not lose) speed while riding.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to endurance comparisons for the same rider skilled in both areas. I would guess for a moderately technical trail, it may approach 2:1 ratio of miles on road vs. mountain bike judging by fatigue, time, etc.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:18:37 AM »
When I was just starting, my first ride at BCSP, I got winded just finishing Pine Loop. Took a break, and rode the North Gate connector up to North Tower. Then I turned around and rode back and took Pine Loop back around to the parking lot.
I'd ridden the local greenways trail many miles, but the hills and terrain at the park killed me. That was also on a heavy ass department store bike. Within a few rides, and after getting my much lighter and better Trek, I was able to ride all the way back to Aynes, Hesitation Point, and back. I am now pretty much limited only by the amount of free time I have from the family. LOL
Now I routinely ride 3-4 laps at SWW or Fort Ben, and ride 15-20 miles whenever I go to Brown county.
I can ride more, but usually need to head back to the family.
I plan on going for 40 miles at the Breakdown this year.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
I, like Dave, am only limited by my busy family schedule.  I started out riding 2 miles to SWW then riding the trail and 2 miles back to my house, 7 total miles 4 on the road, and that wore me out.  The first time I went to BCSP a friend (much more experienced) took me around Pine Loop, North Tower conector, North Tower Loop, and Aynes loop.  About 10 miles and I thought it was going to kill me.  I couldn't climb Aynes in any gear. 
A year later I can ride to the Campground and back taking only short breaks.  I won't even really ride anymore if I don't have time to get in double digit miles, but my longest in a day was last years Breakdown I rode about 43 miles. 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
Oh yeah, that reminds me, my first ride to Schoen Creek included about 14 miles to and from the park on the road, plus the three laps.

chuckc, good insight, thanks!

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
That was also on a heavy ass department store bike.

LOL thats what Im doin it on 35lbs of pure "Wal-Goose Power" simply cuz thats what i got figure in the end Ill be stronger for it and appreciate my first good bike more. I was hopin to do the 40 miles at the breakdown but dont think Ill be ready this year.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »
Not sure the bike could take it!
It's amazing how much difference a decent bike makes. My 12 year old Trek 7000 is far better than anything from the department stores!
Watch Craigslist for deals. Jump quick, because the good deals go fast!
David
"The bike rescuer"

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

LOL thats what Im doin it on 35lbs of pure "Wal-Goose Power" simply cuz thats what i got figure in the end Ill be stronger for it and appreciate my first good bike more. I was hopin to do the 40 miles at the breakdown but dont think Ill be ready this year.

I took someone out for a ride at the trails near Story, IN on a Wal Mart type bike.  The front brakes bent back and eventually broke off.  Then a small crash his gear shifter snapped off.  I was a mess.  I am sure some department store bikes are better than others.

pedalpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

Might be worthwhile checking out if your LBS rents bikes.  If I had a backup, you could take mine - or maybe someone here could help a fellow mtb rider out.  You might pay some more, but you won't have to be battling your bike and you can enjoy your day riding with a bunch of buds.  Plus, then you'll have an idea if you like that type of bike when shopping for your first real bike.  Just a thought.  I think you'll either have a great time on the trail, or have a great story to tell if you don't..win-win.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Its not the bike I worry about makin it...Its the rider the ol Goose hasnt failed me yet we've been on everything at BCSP more than once except schooner ..one day when the moneys right Ill upgrade but outta the question right now.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
FWIW... I've got less than $400 into my Trek... It's old, and been rebuilt from used parts from these classifieds, Craigslist and Ebay or hand-me-down parts, but it's reliable, and fun to ride. Been riding it for two seasons now. Money well spent.
David
"The bike rescuer"

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links