//Trail Status mouse over Java // Landing on front tire

Author Topic: Landing on front tire  (Read 2206 times)

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Landing on front tire
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
I am able to ride over the Concrete Pillbox on the Schoen Creek trail, landing on my front tire.  As I read things online trying to learn more, it seems that this is not a good idea, although I have not had a problem with it.  Is landing on the front tire bad technique? Curious to know what others think.  Thanks.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Landing on front tire
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
Thats the way I come off of it....theres not really much room to garner enough speed to do any harm or to come off it on a wheelie.just my opinion
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

pedalpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with landing on your front tire first on a rolling feature.  The important thing, in my opinon, is to keep balanced on your bike and in control.  By keeping your knees and elbows bent prior to the drop, you can extend your arms and push 'down' your bike to keep yourself balanced and roll through it.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
If I recall, I peddle hard and jump off of it landing on both tires at once...
I'm pretty light, and on a pretty light bike, so getting some speed off of it isn't too hard.
I think I'd endo if I landed on the front tire.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
Weight distribution is the thing.  Don't lean forward if you are landing on the front tire, cause you WILL go over the bar.  Lean back, putting your weight on the back wheel while the front wheel is landing and then carefully shifting your weight forward as the rear wheel comes in contact with the ground.  This only works on small drops.   

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

gt ss

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
   With the many variables that come into play with different types of obstacles, it's good to learn as many techniques for "take offs" and "landings". You'll eventually learn which technique you want to use as you approach an obstacle. If the technique doesn't work, go back 30' and try another. This is how I approach Walnut and HP @ BCSP. I've figured out HP with only a couple more features on Walnut to go until I finally check out Schooner.
  The point is no one can tell you how to be comfortable on the bike while riding obstacles. Approach speed (slow or fast), agility, nerves, confidence, experience, tires, tire pressure, strength, etc, all factor into the ability to ride obstacles successfully and safely.

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
Butt over rear tire and keep enough speed so you don't stall your front tire.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links