//Trail Status mouse over Java // Fort Custer, Outback trail, or Winona?

Author Topic: Fort Custer, Outback trail, or Winona?  (Read 1945 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Fort Custer, Outback trail, or Winona?
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
Looking for a good trail system where I could get 20 or so miles in.  I have half a day Saturday from Elkhart and want to get the most out of my time.  I have ridden TK Lawless, Rum Village, and Potato Creek and want to try something different but not to far away.  Any intermediate to advanced trails with some good climbs, decents, and features like jumps, skinnies, drops, logs.  I can ride anything but the most advanced stuff.  Which of the three would be best or if anyone knows of any other good trails in the area.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
Re: Fort Custer, Outback trail, or Winona?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
I would say that they are all very different trails.  My favorite of the three easily is Rum Village if it doesn't rain.  It's a blast but the trail is fickle if it gets wet and can be hard to navigate for a new rider (try to catch the wheel of a local).  Rum Village  has it all - jumps, tight and technical ups and downs, log piles, and some advanced man made obstacles.  I used to have SB in my territory and rode it 3 times a month.

Potato Creek is wide open and fast but I would say beginner/ intermediate trail.   TK lawless is a 'something for everyone' type trail.   Nice trail but not outstanding in any way.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
Sorry didn't read your request correctly. 

Winona is probably closest I think and is definitely the best of the three.  I was very disappointed with Ft. Custer.  However, Outback Trail is fun especially the 'Dark Side' with the Rollercoaster finish.

Winona is an awesome trail, well marked, and has some very nice technical features and natural terrain especially across the creek.  I think Winona is the 3rd best trail in the state behind B Cty and French Lick.  Have fun!

john7722

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
If you hit all the trail in Ft.Custer? You will get about 23 miles of easy to mildly difficult trail. The Green Loop is the hardest.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:59 AM »
I think Winona is the 3rd best trail in the state behind B Cty and French Lick.
Well that is saying something having riddin BCSP and French Lick.  What is the climbing like in comparison?  I want to get some good miles in to help get in shape for the Brown County Break Down.
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
You won't find any big sustained climbs at Winona. The climbing is mostly short and steep.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
Agreed.  There are some technical climbs and short/ steep downhills especially toward the end of the trail. 

As for Ft. Custer, I must have missed some of the trail as I rode 2 laps of about 10 miles each.  I tried to stay on the 'Expert' section.  I just rode Cannonsburg Ski Area and Egypt Valley tonight as I am up in Grand Rapids on business.  Very nice trails but much farther North.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links