//Trail Status mouse over Java // Beginners trails at BCSP

Author Topic: Beginners trails at BCSP  (Read 3297 times)

Catrin

• View Profile
Beginners trails at BCSP
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
I've been told there are three beginners trails at BCSP - I know that Pine and Limekiln are beginning level trails. Assuming my information is correct, which is the third trail? Looking at the trail map I see only two classed as "easy", so if my information is wrong, which is the easiest of the intermediate trails? Thanks!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners trails at BCSP
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
Pine and Limekiln are the only true beginner trails.

North Tower is somewhere between a beginner and intermediate trail.  It has some climbing, but not to much.  We officially rank it as intermediate. 

So ride Pine and Limekiln.  When you are comfortable with them, give north tower a try.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
I've taken beginners around Pine Loop, up the North Gate connector, and around North Tower. While they may have struggled some, they made it, and not only survived, but had fun. If you have any coordination at all, you should be fine. Just remember there is no shame in walking your bike if you have any doubts.
My 5 and 8 year olds have ridden Pine Loop no problem.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »
Thanks, I've been on Pine Loop a couple of times, just wanting to branch out a bit without getting over my head :) Limekiln was already next on my list, just wasn't sure what comes after that in order of difficulity. Have hiked most of the trails outside of the new one, Ayers and HP, that will soon change.

I've been struck at how kind everyone is at BCSP when they come up on this obvious newbie on the trail  :) I do try to keep an ear out to get out of the way but sometimes I don't hear riders behind me.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
On the park map they list North gate and North tower as beginner trails along with Pine and Limekiln and Im just gonna add that if youve been riding for 50 years or 1 day I think limekiln is a blast.
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
I noted that the difficulty levels seemed to have changed at BC before my trip there last weekend. I had looked at http://www.browncountymountainbiking.com/ to see if they had an updated map and noted that NT Loop was listed as intermediate (More Difficult) instead of beginner and  HP was also More Difficult although I thought it used to be  listed as a Most Difficult along with Walnut. NT Loop seemed slightly tougher and rootier than I remember.  Of course, I could be just making this all up and nothing has changed…..

Ed

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
While there are technical specs for trail difficulty http://www.imba.com/resources/maps/trail-difficulty-ratings, there is still some wiggle room.  The intent is to convey the difficulty differences relative to other trails in the system. 

Its a little hard, as there really are two separate issues. One is the technical difficulty of the trail and the other is the pedaling difficulty.

North Tower is harder than Pine or Limekiln, but easier than HP and Anyes. HP and Anyes also have more sustained and step climbs.

Green Valley technically isn't any harder than North Tower, but the trail length and the long climbs may be too much for beginners.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »
Thanks, I've been on Pine Loop a couple of times, just wanting to branch out a bit without getting over my head :)................I do try to keep an ear out to get out of the way but sometimes I don't hear riders behind me.

A few years ago (before Limekiln and Pine Loop were built), the North Tower Connector and North Tower were my "beginner" trails. Then came Aynes and Hesitation Point. Starting out on these trails just meant I had to rest more often and walk more obstacles than if I had had today's beginner trails.

What I am trying to say is, don't let a concern of "getting in over your head" keep you from exploring North Tower and Green Valley for too long. Just rest when you need to and walk anything that you don't like the looks of or just turn around when you've had enough.

I don't hear the riders coming up behind me about half the time either, but I can blame it on getting old. ;D   

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:26:31 PM by gmcttr »

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
What I am trying to say is, don't let a concern of "getting in over your head" keep you from exploring North Tower and Green Valley for too long. Just rest when you need to and walk anything that you don't like the looks of or just turn around when you've had enough.

I don't hear the riders coming up behind me about half the time either, but I can blame it on getting old. ;D    

Oh, it isn't holding me back - I just want to explore Limekiln before hitting North Tower and Green Valley. I've no problem with walking bits I don't like :) Have ridden part of the NT Connector which I enjoyed & looking forward to broadening my horizons ;D

WheezerMF

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • Yep, eleven...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »

Oh, it isn't holding me back - I just want to explore Limekiln before hitting North Tower and Green Valley. I've no problem with walking bits I don't like :) Have ridden part of the NT Connector which I enjoyed & looking forward to broadening my horizons ;D

Lime kiln is a walk in the park compared to North Tower Connector, or anything else other than Pine Loop.  Enjoy!!
My collarbone's stronger than your collarbone-- It's ironic!
Give blood; ride a mountain bike:  http://www.cirbc.org/
HMBA Director-at-Large & Comm'ns Dir.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »

Lime kiln is a walk in the park compared to North Tower Connector, or anything else other than Pine Loop.  Enjoy!!

Thanks for the comments here, I did ride Limekiln the other day and found it quite fun and equally challenging. Certainly very different from Pine Loop. I won't be trying the other trails for a bit, but there is certainly enough to keep my attention and had a blast between the two trails. Thanks to those who have put in so much work on the trails!

WheezerMF

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • Yep, eleven...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
Next up: North Tower.  Drive up and park by the lookout tower.  You're skipping the big hill on the Connector, but bring your climbing legs anyway! 

And you'll soon realize why people use clipless pedals.  They let you put -so- much more power into climbing...
My collarbone's stronger than your collarbone-- It's ironic!
Give blood; ride a mountain bike:  http://www.cirbc.org/
HMBA Director-at-Large & Comm'ns Dir.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
Next up: North Tower.  Drive up and park by the lookout tower.  You're skipping the big hill on the Connector, but bring your climbing legs anyway! 

And you'll soon realize why people use clipless pedals.  They let you put -so- much more power into climbing...

Thanks, I will try this after I've ridden Limekiln a few more times. I do clip in on the road, but that is a recent change and, for now, I want to be able to put my feet down FAST and am not so good at that with my Frogs yet. Thanks for the tip on getting around the big hill on the Connector - I hiked that trail the other day.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links