//Trail Status mouse over Java // France Park

Author Topic: France Park  (Read 7688 times)

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
France Park
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
I did my first race earlier this summer in the intro division at Brown County DINO but unfortunately have been unable to get free for any races since then. However, it looks like the France Park race on 8/14 may be a possibility although I won't have a chance to get up to Logansport before that weekend. Can anyone provide any insight on the type of trail or if it is similar to any other Indiana trails?

Thanks-Ed

BLOWNDFIZ

• View Profile
Re: France Park
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
This where I started my Mt. Biking back in the late 90's.  I grew up about 5 miles from there, less than that as the crow flies...  Anyway it doesn't have near the flow or elevation change that BCSP has, but it is pretty fun for flat northern Indiana.  There is rocky singletrack, rooty singletrack, at least in the Xterra the race course uses quite a bit of doubletrack trail, so there is room for acceleration and passing.  The race course goes around the quary and you climb to the top there is 1 little downhill section that is a little scetchy so they "warn" people about it but it's honestly easily ridable.  Part of the course goes through a dry quary which makes you feel more like you are in Arizona than Indiana (at least that's what I think when I ride through it)...

Not sure if this helps or not, but since I'm pretty familiar with it I'd throw in my $.02...
Brandon
09 Santa Cruz Superlight
98 DBR V8 (down for repairs)
98 Specialized S-Works Team

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:57:26 AM »
This where I started my Mt. Biking back in the late 90's.  I grew up about 5 miles from there, less than that as the crow flies...  Anyway it doesn't have near the flow or elevation change that BCSP has, but it is pretty fun for flat northern Indiana.  There is rocky singletrack, rooty singletrack, at least in the Xterra the race course uses quite a bit of doubletrack trail, so there is room for acceleration and passing.  The race course goes around the quary and you climb to the top there is 1 little downhill section that is a little scetchy so they "warn" people about it but it's honestly easily ridable.  Part of the course goes through a dry quary which makes you feel more like you are in Arizona than Indiana (at least that's what I think when I ride through it)...

Not sure if this helps or not, but since I'm pretty familiar with it I'd throw in my $.02...

Very helpful information, thank you. Doesn't sound like France has anything that I have not run into before at the other trails in central and southern Indiana. Think I will give the Cat 3 a shot.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
Racers looking for PayDirt bonus points and going to pre-ride France Park:
The park staff can put you to work this weekend getting the trails in good condition. Just ask for park maintenance between 7 am and 3pm Saturday or Sunday.

craigebaker

• View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
Is there any way to check trail status? I want to pre-ride tomorrow afternoon if possible.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
Call the park at 574-753-2928
I'm guessing it will be fine tomorrow.

craigebaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
Will do. Thanks

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
Rode France Park today and overall the trail is in great shape.  However, this place is a rear deraileur's worst nightmare right now.  There are small sticks everywhere.  We managed to get the big stuff moved off the the trail, but if anyone can get out to help the park over the next few days...that would be great!

craigebaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
Just curious when you say "the trail" what trail you mean. I rode France Park yesterday and it seemed to be a maze of unmarked double track and/or fire roads. I agree about the sticks. It looks like a storm rolled through recently, but I didn't see a lot of downed trees. I rode 5 miles and gave up due to not having a clue if I was even on land owned by France Park anymore. At one point I was stuck in a maze of mowed grass....

I was told to park at the Beach by the people running the park and entered the trails there. I was just lost most of the time, so I through in the towel. I never saw a dry quarry trail, so I'm pretty sure I never made it to where I should have been. I did run into a guy parked next to the Wabash who said I wasn't the first lost mountain biker he ran into that day who was completely lost.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »
It's hard to follow the race course unless it is marked. Most people miss the singletrack unless they know where to look. It'll be marked tomorrow by late afternoon for the triathlon, then converted Saturday around 1pm for the full MTB race course.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »
Just curious when you say "the trail" what trail you mean. I rode France Park yesterday and it seemed to be a maze of unmarked double track and/or fire roads. I agree about the sticks. It looks like a storm rolled through recently, but I didn't see a lot of downed trees. I rode 5 miles and gave up due to not having a clue if I was even on land owned by France Park anymore. At one point I was stuck in a maze of mowed grass....

I was told to park at the Beach by the people running the park and entered the trails there. I was just lost most of the time, so I through in the towel. I never saw a dry quarry trail, so I'm pretty sure I never made it to where I should have been. I did run into a guy parked next to the Wabash who said I wasn't the first lost mountain biker he ran into that day who was completely lost.

I've ridden there enough that I know pretty much all of the trail.  It sounds like you got turned around in the meadow, which is very easy to do.  I'll be at the race on Sunday, let me know if you're interested and I'll give you a few pointers.  If you're from the area, let me know and I can meet you out there sometime and show you the main areas to ride through.  Good luck.

Nhunt46051

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
Is the downhill that is recommended to be dismounted for the tri on the DINO site that difficult? Or just mentioned because some Tri participants may not be avid mountainbikers? Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to pre-ride before hand. 

Adim_x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
Can the France Park trails be ridden this weekend by non racers when there are no events going on?  I will be in area visiting family and would like to ride 'the' course as opposed to the confusing mess that was there last year when I was home. 

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
Is the downhill that is recommended to be dismounted for the tri on the DINO site that difficult? Or just mentioned because some Tri participants may not be avid mountainbikers? Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to pre-ride before hand. 

It's not that difficult.  There's a hard right hand turn that leads into it and that turn can be hard to make (I'll still foot dab now and then), but once the turn is made it's not too bad at all.  You'll see a big tree about half way down on the right, hug the root of the tree and then and then stay to the right of the trail...and do yourself a favor and stay off of the front brake!

mezo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »
This course is sad, compared to the rest of the series.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links