//Trail Status mouse over Java // SS gearing help for CX

Author Topic: SS gearing help for CX  (Read 1838 times)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
SS gearing help for CX
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
I hope to give CX a try this fall. The thing is I don't have a CX bike.

I will be using a SS and need some help figuring out what gearing to use.

What I am looking for is what change in gearing do you use for CX compared to XC or gravel stuff?

corbinb

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: SS gearing help for CX
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
I am going to give it a go myself.  For mtb i have always ran 32x16 for my 26" and now 32x20 for my 29"

I raced cx on my ss mtb a few times on and 32x16 was pretty good.  I plan on running 39x18 or 39x20 on my ss cross bike this fall.  first wed night worlds is this week so we will see how 39x18 feels

Corbin

j.dub

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
Hey Guys;

I am a long time SS rider, but I'm going to be trying CX for the first time this year too.  I have always heard that something in the ball park of 54 gear inches is good for CX.  So, on a 700c wheel, that's about 32/16 or 34/17 or some other 2/1 ratio.  That seems really low to me.  It seems like it would be hard to spin fast enough to keep up on the flats/road, but I don't know though because I've never done it.  I am planning on starting with 39/19, which is a little over 55 gear inches.  That's about as close as I can get without chaning the chain. 

Hey do you guys know of any practice races?  I heard that there are some. What is "Wednesday night worlds?"  Please let me know of anything that I can get in on before I race and make a fool of myself :-)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
If I ever make it to a practice night, I will be starting with 42x20 and if that does not work maybe 42x22. After that, I am limited on gear ratios that are not made for XC riding.

j.dub

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
42/20 is about 56 gear inches.  That's about where I'll be too.  It should be in the ballpark.  I guess we'll find out. 

So where/when are these practice nights that I hear people talking about?   

corbinb

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »
if you live in Bloomington from today thru whenever meet at the sample gates at 6pm for a weekly practice race.  I think they are doing weekly practice races at Southwestway in Indy as well.   

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links