//Trail Status mouse over Java // general trail direction

Author Topic: general trail direction  (Read 3557 times)

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
general trail direction
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Im new to the sport and so of course new to the trails . Was just wondering what the general concensus was on direction to ride the trails at BCSP I know alot can be rode in either direction was just curious thanx in advance....Rob
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

tmac

• View Profile
Re: general trail direction
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
All of the trails at BCSP are currently multi-directional. Opinions vary as to which direction is the most fun. Just keep your head up, look down the trail, and watch for riders and hikers!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
All of the trails at BCSP are currently multi-directional. Opinions vary as to which direction is the most fun. Just keep your head up, look down the trail, and watch for riders, hikers, animals, downed trees, etc!

Fixed it for you... ;D

You also have to watch out for the standing trees that jump out in front of you. They're just plain mean that way.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:34:04 PM by gmcttr »

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
I understood they are multidirectional was just wondering if there was a preferred direction I probaly didnt explain it well

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I think each person has their own preferred direction for each loop/trail, but doubt there is a consensus overall.

My own preference changes ride by ride.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
Ride the trails both directions and then make your own decision on which way you like best.  Everyone has their own way of riding the trails.
I ride Aynes loop counter-clockwise.  Many others prefer riding it clockwise.  I like the longer downhill.  Others like the longer climb.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
yeah thats kinda more what i was talkin about ..and kinda what i figured it always seems Im goin the wrong way i guess..Lol  thanx for the input

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
yeah thats kinda more what i was talkin about ..and kinda what i figured it always seems Im goin the wrong way i guess..Lol  thanx for the input

That's where you're wrong...It's everybody else that is going the wrong direction. ;)

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
I like pine, north tower and aynes going clockwise.  Not sure what direction I like green valley yet.  HP I like the downhill route better than uphill.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
I prefer all down hill...lol...just havent built up enough endurance for the long uphills..was thinkin of tryin the break down but dont think ill be ready in time...anyone know how many people do the 100 mile ride?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
I prefer all down hill...lol...just havent built up enough endurance for the long uphills..was thinkin of tryin the break down but dont think ill be ready in time...anyone know how many people do the 100 mile ride?

It is generally a fairly small number. I usually do the 62 miler as it gets your back to the camp to eat, drink and tell lies with all your friends about the ride. A good percentage do that mileage. The people who the 100 miler are generally rolling in after most people have packed up and gone. It is an accomplishment, but not as much fun IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:40:51 AM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
The people who the 100 miler are generally rolling in after most people have packed up and gone. It is an accomplishment, but not as much fun IMHO.

I agree. The longer distance is a committment and requires very short stops at sags and the cabin. The shorter distance allows for a more leisurely, fun ride and takes in the best available singletrack.

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »
I usually do the 62 miler

How long had you been riding before you attempted it really tryin to judge how outta shape I am as of now dont think I could do the 20 miles without a lot of pit stops

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »

Way more people sign up for the 100 mile route than who actually complete it.  Only a handful of people (somewhere between 20-25 riders TOTAL, some who have repeated several years in a row) have actually completed our entire course.  There are some that do their own and ride more... and others who say they did, but made up their own routes somewhere in Hickory.  

The great thing about the Breakdown however, is you can ride as little or as much as you like.  It's all one great big "out and back" that just happens to cover three counties (if you do the 100 mile route).  It's all about having a great time and raising money for HMBA.  Hopefully we'll see you there!

Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links