//Trail Status mouse over Java // Runners/MTBer's - oil and balsamic vinegar can make a wonderful salad dressing

Author Topic: Runners/MTBer's - oil and balsamic vinegar can make a wonderful salad dressing  (Read 10429 times)

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: Schoen Creek Trail conditions
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
I tried to post the picture...

Is this what you were looking for?

Oh, and to keep this thread on topic, the trail is in great shape.  Go ride!

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I tried to post the picture...

Is this what you were looking for?

Oh, and to keep this thread on topic, the trail is in great shape.  Go ride!
Yup! ;)
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
It will be especially important for riders to be curious at Fort Ben.  This will be a high use trail with many riders, hikers, and runners.  It is not a place for intervals and race pace work outs. 

A big key to Yielding is slowing down. When ever you pass some one,  SLOW DOWN.  Even if a rider or hiker steps off the trail to let you by, that does mean you should pass them at full speed.  Slow down, Say "Hi" and "Thank You".

Taking the time to slow down and communicate with other trail users is very important. 

It is also important that the mountain bike community puts peer pressure on riders to be courteous.  If you see a rider not being courteous, say something to them. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Rcook

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
Sorry didnt mean to get off topic I was only kiddin Im new and slow and outta shape I always pull over and yield ,,,anyway the trail is awesome and in fabulous shape just wanted to thank all those that make it possible hope to pitch in and help some time thanx again..Rob
I Worship at the altar of the 29er Gods

You don't need a ticket to fly with me I'm free-Ozzy

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
Actually you got us on topic.  What Paul said bears repeating.   Taking the time to slow down and communicate with other trail users is very important.  Developing mutual respect between runners, hikers and bikers will go a long way toward insuring that we all have quality trails to enjoy.

Schoen Creek has nice flowing sections but also enough tight  spots that need to be respected.   You never know when you are going to encounter a family with little kids walking on the trail, so you should plan on meeting them around every  turn.

Also, watch for the sandy areas on the edge of the trail in the levee section.   My arm will heal in about a month......Lucky for me that chicks dig scars.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:03:41 PM by hard_tail_harris »
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Nikhil

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
Why don't they just designate separate trails for biking, running, horses, etc.? Seems like it would avoid a lot of problems, and make the experience more enjoyable for each group.  It would also allow the trails to be more tailored to each activity as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:00:26 PM by Nikhil »

gt ss

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
cross country {...} going the wrong way.

To add to Dean's comment, there is no wrong way to walk/run on the trail.  The only directionally-controlled mode of transportation is biking.  We are the known value, foot traffic is the variable.

and we know our value will drop quickly if we do not behave!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
Why don't they just designate separate trails for biking, running, horses, etc.? Seems like it would avoid a lot of problems, and make the experience more enjoyable for each group.  It would also allow the trails to be more tailored to each activity as well.

My experience is that the key to conflict isn't that different user groups interact, it's that all groups have both inexperienced members and some percentage of jerks.  I have gotten drug into many mtb vs mtb conflicts at town run.  Mountain bikers passing aggressively, mountain bikers not letting others pass, mountain bikers with head phones, mountain bikers driving fast through the parking lot, mountain bikers not yielding to up hill riders, etc....

If you aren't paying attention enough to be aware for hikers and runners, then you aren't paying enough attention for other riders as well.

HMBA does want there to be hiking only trails. This gives hiker who don't want to be around mountain bikes the opportunity to do so.  They are welcome on our trails, but can complain that they have to share a trail with us.

Besides, us trail workers spend a lot of time hiking the trails. You should avoid running over your local trail builders!  :o
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »
I was riding with Dave Terry and Travis when we encountered an unhappy runner who accused us of 'running his wife off of the trail'.  We were not riding particularly fast and as we entered the trail she was running clockwise and came out of the woods near a boulder area which slowed us down.  Her husband later was upset and verbally accosted all four of us on the trail. 

I am a trail runner first and have run Ft. Ben Mt Bike Trail 6-7 times before ever riding it in which Jeff and Dave can attest.  The bottom line is that when running a 'mt bike' trail, you have to be extra aware.  In tight spots or blind corners, you can hear the bikes but they cannot hear you.  Both riders and runners bear responsibility and if the trail is a designated mt bike trail such as Towne Run, Ft Ben, or B Cty, runners need to be extra careful. Just that morning, Travis and I ran the mt bike trail before we rode and moved twice for bikers coming around a corner.  Running against traffic means that bikes come up very quick and both parties need to ' have their head on a swivel'. 

If there is an unavoidable run-in remember that in Kindergarten we learn to just 'play nice'...

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 06:28:23 AM »
Well kids, I guess the lesson for today is, there are jerks in all sports. The vast majority of us riders/runners get along smashingly, and respect each other's disciplines. My personal mode of operation is to smile and say hello to a runner I pass, and to be patient and give a big THANKS to the bikers who let me pass, even if they are dour, grumpy SOB's. Heck, I'm partaking in my favorite outdoor activity, why would I let somebody's personal rain cloud ruin my day?

Now.... How are those trail conditions? 8)

Nikhil

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »

My experience is that the key to conflict isn't that different user groups interact, it's that all groups have both inexperienced members and some percentage of jerks.  I have gotten drug into many mtb vs mtb conflicts at town run.  Mountain bikers passing aggressively, mountain bikers not letting others pass, mountain bikers with head phones, mountain bikers driving fast through the parking lot, mountain bikers not yielding to up hill riders, etc....

If you aren't paying attention enough to be aware for hikers and runners, then you aren't paying enough attention for other riders as well.

HMBA does want there to be hiking only trails. This gives hiker who don't want to be around mountain bikes the opportunity to do so.  They are welcome on our trails, but can complain that they have to share a trail with us.

Besides, us trail workers spend a lot of time hiking the trails. You should avoid running over your local trail builders!  :o

Oh for sure. But couldn't disgruntled hikers go about trying to get bikes removed from trails?

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »
Oh for sure. But couldn't disgruntled hikers go about trying to get bikes removed from trails?

They could try, but I doubt they'd get much traction with the DNR considering HMBA built the trails, and there are still plenty of existing hike/run only trails at Fort Harrison.

Now.... How are those trail conditions? (hint)  ;D

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Bruce

• Training wheels on
  • should also be riding
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
Good commentary about trail mutual respect.  I am one who will plan to slow down more for pedestrians.

Jeff have a good time at Oshkosh.  You'll be back sometime Sat??  I'm headed to Kalamazoo that am, thought you might like to go along.

Jeff Blum

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Coming back Sat, but not sure when.  I'll let you know.

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
Rode the trail this morning for first time, nice trail. It was hard to find the trail head if I actually did find the correct one at all. I started at the old head we used last yr. at the outdoor experience so I think I went the wrong way around Sorry. I like the logs, makes the trail interesting, didn't try the concrete table, didn't want to jam  crankset. Job well done to the builders. Didn't see any runners or hikers.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links