//Trail Status mouse over Java // How big is your cyclocross/gravel tire?

Author Topic: How big is your cyclocross/gravel tire?  (Read 3647 times)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
How big is your cyclocross/gravel tire?
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
I am looking to put some cyclocross tires on one of my bikes.

The duty would be for commuting and gravel riding like the Gravel Grovel and Death March kind of stuff.

I don't want to get too small of a tire that I am getting flats all the time in the gravel. But, I know the bigger the tire is, the more work it is to move. I also feel the smaller tires have a harder time keeping traction in gravel.

I am looking at a 42c and 35c tire and just wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

Thanks

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your cyclocross/gravel tire?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
At the Gravel Grovel, I ran a 700x35 Panaracer Pasela which, historically, was one of the more well respected commuter tires out there. A lot of the newer crop of commuter tires seem to be veritable copies of it. The Pasela is very resistant to flats and rolls fairly well. I didn't flat out at the GG (unlike many I saw) nor do I remember ever doing so in any condition. Traction is adequate in the snow and in gravel.

A couple of situations made we wish for more tire: One is when was on those long GG descents where the big gravel tends to get deep toward the bottom. The other is when I was changing from packed gravel dust to mounded loose gravel back to gravel dust (going across the width of the lane of a gravel road, for instance). In both instances, the narrow tire tended to want to "plow through" the deep gravel at first causing some feelings of possible fishtailing which never truly occurred or maybe I never let it. In any event, I would pop up on top of the gravel and often overshoot a line when I would get back onto packed gravel dust sections. I probably could have easily avoided that with lower tire pressure, but you can't run much lower than I did that day with 35c's. If I do the GG again, I will either run a 2.1 tire at regular mtb pressures or possible a 45c-ish tire. I would still tend to look for durability over weight and may look toward a tubeless option which I prefer when I mtb.

Very interested to see what you come up with.

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your cyclocross/gravel tire?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
I am leaning toward Continental of course.

Right now I am looking at the Cyclocross @ 42 and the Cyclocross race @ 35

currently using a Race King 2.0

Starting to get an itch for the Dirty Kanza 200, but I don't have a geared bike for that stuff.

heartland

• HMBA-IMBA Member