//Trail Status mouse over Java // My girls first real mountain bike ride at BCSP

Author Topic: My girls first real mountain bike ride at BCSP  (Read 6111 times)

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
My girls first real mountain bike ride at BCSP
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
Just took them (5 and 8 years old) for a lap around Pine Loop. Other than a couple whiney spells from my littlest one, they did great! They said they had fun, and will go again. As a destination, they made it to the playground to play for a bit, then we took the short way back to the north parking lot. We then went to the pool to cool off!
Had a great time with my girls, and can't wait to get them able to ride longer rides with me.
May try Limekiln next time, but I knew they'd be tired since they were up late at a sleep over last night, so decided on the shorter Pine Loop.
My observations are that the trail itself isn't too difficult, but the sections along the ravines are intimidating, and pretty scary for kids at first.
They got used to them, and I have no doubt that next time it will go even better.
I've got butterflies in my stomach, and just a hint of tears in my eyes that my girls like riding the trails with their daddy.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: My girls first real mountain bike ride at BCSP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
glad they had fun,  my 3 year old took off without training wheels this weekend. another great accomplishment as a dad. anyone else have a good weekend?

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
That is great.
  My 9 year old son just started riding North tower this year at a fun pace.  We rode this evening and found one large beetle on the trail and 7 dear.  He loved it and I had a better time watching, listening and talking to him. 

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
North Tower would be tough for my 5 year old on her 20" Hotrock. The thing is not geared low enough for long climbs, and her legs start burning pretty quickly. I do need to do some adjusting, as it wouldn't stay in 7th gear when climbing hard.
I've just been itching to get my girls out riding with me, and am so happy it;s finally come. They ride all over town, the bike/jogging path, and some doubletrack trails/farm access roads at Souhwestway, but this is their first real singletrack.
Now to get their mom out there! LOL
David
"The bike rescuer"

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
That's awesome now I know I can take my kids there!  Last weekend I took Lilli (8) Wes (5) and Ethan their 7 year old cousin to SWW and talked them into giving some of the singletrack a try.  The boys did good but my daughter shed a lot of tears.  I got her calmed down and told her to take it in short sections and she did well with that.  The boys had to walk there bikes a lot but that is expected as they were on BMX style 16" wheels.  I am glad to hear your girls did well and enjoyed it!  I know as a dad you were grinnin ear to ear!   ;D
Hit me up and we'll take the kids riding some time. 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Brown County has been a great place for our son to ride.  He started mountain biking with us at age 4 at Town Run and I always felt like he was going to get run over.  I finally got tired of taking him there so we started hitting up BC once he got a 20" BMX bike (and this was before Pine Loop and Limekiln were built).

By the time he was 6 he rode his first Breakdown (to the hidden cabin) and has been killin' it out there ever since.  Everyone at BC has always been so encouraging to him and people would actually stop to cheer him over a difficult section.  It was a great confidence booster (at Town Run people would buzz past him and scare him so this was a much better experience for him)

Now he's going on ten and I'm not sure how much longer I will be faster than him.  I think I can take him on the downhills for alittle longer, but little duder is going to have my beat on the climbs in no time!
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
It's a blast isn't it?!  I've been taking my 5 year old and 7 year old to Pine Loop for over a year now and they've not had any issues at all.  I was pretty nervous the first time they went over the log bridge, but it didn't phase them and they stayed dead center all the way. 

In the last month we got both of them their first geard bikes (20" Hotrock & 24" Trek) and they're loving it.  Took them to France Park this weekend and they both did over 6 miles and only walked a couple of sections.  Dad was proud to say the least.  I'm hoping to get them on NT or Limekiln the next time we're down south. 

A question for everyone.  I typically follow them and will occasionally call out some directions to them, but for the most part I just let them ride their pace and learn.  Has anyone tried leading them through the trails and if so is it more beneficial? 

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
I've gone to leading them and it seems to work better for us.  I go slow enough that they can see my line and they don't get the pressure of being watched.  I know when I follow a faster rider, I'll clean sections or go faster over obstacles than I would otherwise.  We did have to work through a little bit of "don't leave me!".

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
My girls have completely different personalities. Kayleigh (5 year old) is fearless, and wants to be out front all the time.
Maddie is more cautious, and wants to follow us. She got tired of Kayleigh running into her back tire all the time.
So, on Pine Loop, Kayleigh rode up front with me giving some direction from the middle, and Maddie brought up the rear.
Everyone was very nice and curtious to the girls and I, giving compliments and encouragement along the way.
I'd like to be behind both of them, so I can watch and give pointers, but then I'd be afraid Maddie would hold me up, and Kayleigh would dissappear into the sunset. LOL
Having the playground there as a destination is a great motivator for younger kids. Then you can give them the choice of taking the loop back, or taking the shortcut. My girls were pretty tired from their sleepover, but were also looking forward to the pool, so chose the short cut.
I was so happy to have them out on the trail, I didn't push the issue a bit.
David
"The bike rescuer"

DaChubbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
I've got a son that just turned 4, and I think he is ready to start learning to ride a real bike.  He's mastered the Wheeler 'Balance' bike.

Couple questions:  What should be his first bike?  He's almost 39" tall, around 30lbs.
Secondly, and more importantly - where do I find him protective gear?  He's got the helmet, but I'm thinking gloves and pads?

Thanks

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
My 5 year old went from a 12" Wallyworld bike, to a 16" Wallyworld bike to her 20" Specialized Hotrock.
Se really wasn't on the 12" long, and she beat the snot out of the 16" dropping off curbs, pounding over rocks and logs, etc...
My girls wear helmets, and jean shorts and tee shirts. Elbow and knee pads just got in the way and made them too hot.
You can't be afraid of a few scraped knees and elbows riding a bike, whether it's around town or on the trail.
David
"The bike rescuer"

suboptimal

• Training wheels on
  • rolling < optimal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »
It's too late for us now since my youngest just topped 6'3", but we have given away a number of hand-me-down bikes as they got too small for the littlest kid.  They were not high dollar, but they would have been better than a Walmart bike for someone.  Is there already a thread for passing on equipment for that age group?  If not, should one be started?

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
I posted a want ad here a while ago, looking for some kids bikes. Got a few responses, and that's when Maddie got her Gary Fisher.
I kids bike trading sticky would be cool though since these are always getting outgrown. Would save a lot of Craigslist and Ebay time.
David
"The bike rescuer"

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »
dachubbler, your kid is ready if the balance bike has been mastered. buy whatever bike you want just make sure your boy can touch the ground without leaning to much. a helmet will be fine for now, start him in a grass field and let him ride and wreck. it won't take long, if it doesn't happen the first time take him home and try again later. i think i took off the training wheels for my boy 5 times before he got it.  buy elbow and knee pads at goodwill, there's usually a shelf full back by the helmets.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »
I've taught 3 kids how to ride two wheels this way.
Take them to a place that's open, and a slight hill.
Put them at the top, and have them coast down draggin their feet a couple times.
When they feel ready, have them put their feet on he pedals, but tell them not to worry about actually pedalling. Have them do this a few times.
Then tell them to try pedalling a couple times.
This seems to be the best way to get a kid on two wheels, as they are only working on one thing at a time.
Each kid I've used this method with has been riding withing an hour.
If your kids has been on a balance bike, he's already got a jumpstart.
David
"The bike rescuer"

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links