Author Topic: Pedals  (Read 8775 times)

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
  • RiDe HaRd . . . HaRdRoCk !
    • View Profile
Pedals
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
Not quite ready to clip in.
Any suggestions on a better set of pedals for my Hardrock?
Thanks
I like to play in the woods . . . on my HardRock 29er

SuperJETT

• View Profile
Re: Pedals
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
I like my Wellgo B38's.  My wife has some Azonic pedals that are nice too.

I went clipless for 6 months or so and went back to flats, they just work better for my normal riding which includes the kids quite a bit of the time, so I'm on/off a lot and just messing around outside with them doing wheelies/etc.  Just don't feel forced to go clipless, it's not for everyone.

Konarick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
Get a nice pair of flats, the Wellgo's are nice and add a pair of 5-10 shoes from Zappos and you will have a great set up.
Quit complaining and get out and ride.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »
The one recommendation that I would make is to either go with flats or clipless. I know that sometimes people go to toe clips or straps as a sort of in between step. They are really the worst of both worlds for mountain biking. To hold your shoes tight enough to really provide any upstroke power benefit, you have to tighten them so that you cannot get out of them quickly.

Once you go thru the learning curve of clipless and falling over a few times, you will never go back.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Connor Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
I was always told to ride clipless, so I did. i got used to them but eventually I went back to flats and now I race clipless, ride flats. I recommend Azonic A-frames and definitely 5-10 shoes.

bruce180vf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
One thing that may be an option is use shimano spd's. They make a flat platform that clips into the pedals to turn then into a platform pedal. It is made out of plastic so it would not hold up to trail riding. They also make a combo pedal with spd clip on one side and flats on the opposite side.

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the info . . . both the Wellgo B38's and the A Frames seem to be pretty scarce on the web .... are the Azonic 420 Flat Pedal the newer version?
any ideas about the  Nashbar Land Cruiser Mountain Bike Pedals?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175246_-1_202669_10000_202530

SuperJETT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
I went clipless and went back...they are on my road bike now. 

Flats with Vans work great for me, I don't miss the extra 5-10% efficiency and have never had grip issues when jumping or hitting rocks/etc.

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »
I had a few bad crashes clipped at Big Bear and Idyllwild, while I was stationed in California. Don't think I will be clipping back in for a while, just getting back into riding.  Looking for some good flat pedals that will not break my piggy bank. The two suggested thus far are pretty slim on the web .... Thanks ...... Bart

SuperJETT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=5957

Great company too.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/141-Pedals+Toe+Clips+And+Straps-Mtb+Platform.aspx?s=1507&mfg=0&closeoutHotdeal=&use=&sort=Default&show=25&pricemin=0&pricemax=500
Crank Brothers 50/50 are supposed to be good $42, the DMR V8 are supposed to be good, etc.  I remember looking at them before buying my B38s.

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
Thank You for the link to the Wellgo's . . . I looked at all the normal places I knew of ....  pricepoint, jenson, nashbar and performance bike.
Just ordered them

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

Konarick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
Now save up and get yourself a pair of 5-10 shoes and you will never think twice about going clipless.  For those who know me on this forum, they know how I feel about clipless pedals.
Quit complaining and get out and ride.

InTheWoods

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
 ;D Rode the new pedals today . . . made for a great ride . . . thanks guys !

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
Now save up and get yourself a pair of 5-10 shoes and you will never think twice about going clipless.  For those who know me on this forum, they know how I feel about clipless pedals.

I've heard so many things about these shoes, are they really that good? A few have told me they are so grippy that you can actually pull up on BMX pedals with them? I ride clipless on the road but am not ready for that on the mountain bike for now.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links