//Trail Status mouse over Java // oil leaking from my Fox 32 F120R fork

Author Topic: oil leaking from my Fox 32 F120R fork  (Read 6118 times)

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
oil leaking from my Fox 32 F120R fork
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
I noticed my fork kept getting dirty after riding and it was building up down around the seals and on the fork like where I max out on travel.  I think it may collecting on oil leaking form the shock.  Could this be from hanging the bike upside down in the garage?  Do I need to have the seals replaced or worked on?  Is this something I need to worry about.  What kind of maintenance does a fork like that need anyway?  What do the fine mechanics of the HMBA forum think?
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

jdncpa

• View Profile
Re: oil leaking from my Fox 32 F120R fork
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »
Fox has pretty short service intervals on their forks.  At least some of their forks are known for losing oil over time.  If it is very old and you ride alot chances are it needs new oil and seals.

I just bought a used F100x (maybe 2006) and the original owner said it was barely used.  He may have stretched the truth a little.  Of the 155cc's of oil it was supposed to have there was maybe 50cc's remaining.  Luckily the internals still looked good.  After a complete tear down and rebuild the forks work as good as new.

It's really not very hard to work on the forks but it does take some patience and good instructions - I got my instructions and new seals from http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
Don't wait to long, as I did.  Sent mine into Push and a $175 custom rebuild ended up being $405 dollars due to broken springs and wear on my downtubes.  But I have a 'brand' new Fox Float that works better than new and still doesn't leak any oil even after a year and a half of riding.
I clean the dirt from around my seals before every ride now.  Something I didn't do before.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Fox has pretty short service intervals on their forks.  At least some of their forks are known for losing oil over time.  If it is very old and you ride alot chances are it needs new oil and seals.

I just bought a used F100x (maybe 2006) and the original owner said it was barely used.  He may have stretched the truth a little.  Of the 155cc's of oil it was supposed to have there was maybe 50cc's remaining.  Luckily the internals still looked good.  After a complete tear down and rebuild the forks work as good as new.

It's really not very hard to work on the forks but it does take some patience and good instructions - I got my instructions and new seals from http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Yah....this. If you ride a decent amount, the seals/oil service needs to be done once/year, if not more often.

Also, hanging it upside down won't hurt it.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
Well it sounds like I need some service on my fork.  The bike is a 2008 and I know the guy I bought it from did no service to any of it.  I've probably put at least 300 miles on it since last July when I purchased it.

Thanks,
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

indym3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
If you have not already seen this, here is the main link to Fox's service including service intervals and many procedures:  http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
  Did you replace the suspension fluid?  Where did you get it from.  It doesn't look like any comes with the enduro kit.  The owners manual recomends 7wt and one of those pillow packs.

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
Yes, when I replaced the seals I also did the fluid.  I bought the pillow packs from enduro but got my 7wt fork oil from jensonusa.com.

I actually did a complete tear down and cleaned up all components when I did mine.  Patience is the key.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links