//Trail Status mouse over Java // Help finding a camp spot

Author Topic: Help finding a camp spot  (Read 2045 times)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Help finding a camp spot
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Sorry this is not really find a ride topic unless someone wants to join me on my ride.

Next week I am dropping a few kids off at scout camp at Ransburg after some baseball games. I would like to find an inexpensive place I can throw up a tent and crash for the night. I will probably not be getting there until late.

I thought about driving over to BCSP, camping and riding in the morning, but I really would rather not pay $16 for the few hours I would actually be using my camp site. Is there any place around Ransburg or hickory area that I can crash?

My plan is to get a ride in the next morning, probably at BCSP or maybe Hickory.

Thanks

jim_michaux

Re: Help finding a camp spot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
Free camping in HNF at pullouts ... several around the Hickory area.  First come, first serve. 

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Would that be at trail head parking areas? or do they have signs?

The boy's will be just down the road from the fire tower road at hickory, so I am real close to that area.

jim_michaux

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »
go south on the road at the intersection that sits just east of the fire tower.  several spots along the gravel road between trails 18 and 19.  they're kinda marked with little posts that are numbered.  you should see little pullouts.  that basically means there's a camp spot there. if not, try the next pullout.   

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Bentcrank here is a link to the dispersed camping link for the Hoosier. It looks to me that you can set up anywhere that is not restricted as long as you don't block the road, gate etc. The have changed there website, there used to be a good article on primitive camping. Be mindful of the no parking along tower ridge road though. Pull offs are probably the best, but they are first come first served. Also contact Ransburg about possibly staying there out of the scout camp area just a thought.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110912&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5288194&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Notices.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Hoosier%20National%20Forest-%20Recreation

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:11:39 PM by N9TKF »
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
Here is a link to the dispersed camping article :
http://prdp2fs.ess.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5293589.pdf
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

jim_michaux

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
it's national forest land, meaning...you own it!  find a place to park your vehicle off the road and walk in. 

"this land is your land,
this land is my land..."

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links