//Trail Status mouse over Java // Wapehani Tornado Damage

Author Topic: Wapehani Tornado Damage  (Read 13599 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: Wapehani Tornado Damage
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »
I new the park had been hit by a tornado, but was still shocked when I arrived. 

Usually the hard part of chainsawing trees off the trail is carrying the saw out into the woods.  Dan saw'd all after noon and never got more than 800 yards from the parking lot.  Craig and I made it a bit farther, but had no problem finding some complex downfalls.

Craig is the Stihl rep and brought a host of toys.  The 10 foot pole saw was really useful and is now on my list for HMBA desired equipment.  We were able to safely cut branches that were hanging over head and even cut lose the last bit that was holding up a tree top leaning over the trail.

We also have a demo MS660, that Dan is using to saw up some white oak planks.  There photo of me is trying out this monster saw.  I felt like I was on a lumber jack tv show, as the saw cut through the 24" log like nothing.

If there is still work to do, we will try to get back down later in the month. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

TimBarnes

• Should be riding....
  • At Harmonie State Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »
Harmonie State Park has the Stihl pole saw that extends to 20'.  Really comes in handy.  I can borrow it anytime they aren't using it.  The deal is I have to sharpen the chains, but they have a jig with a grinder that makes that a cinch too.
Happy Trails!!!

Tim Barnes

Allen Edwards

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
Nice job, guys!  It's awesome that you were able to get through that big cottonwood.  It has a bigger diameter than it looks in that photo.

Thanks, THANKS, THANKS for coming down to help out!

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »
And the creativity begins!

Two views of Eric's chair, carved from the stump of a hazardous tuliptree:

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
Some of the most hazardous hang-ups have worked their way down. The most recent storm helped quite a bit, and I've been able to remove some caution tape in the northwest quad.

But new hazards have developed. There's an ash splitting in half over the trail just south of the boardwalk, and a beaver felling in progress about halfway along the south shore of the Lake Loop.

If you notice any new hazards or big blowdown, please post.  Thanks.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links