//Trail Status mouse over Java // AHT Ride Report

Author Topic: AHT Ride Report  (Read 10952 times)

jim_michaux

AHT Ride Report
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Yep, AHT's a doozy of a back woods ride.  Throw in a bout of end-of-ride puking, and you might call it an "adventure!"  Some words and pictures...

http://vagoscribe.com/2011/05/22/aht-mtb-doesnt-spell-puke-right/

It's a haul to get down there, but for experiencing a remote-kinda ride, it's worth it (at least once).  Anyone that rides it one way, and then turns around and rides it the other way would pull off a huge "all mountain" ride in the southern IN woods.  Who will be first?!  There are some sick downhills on that loop, if you're able to ride 'em!

I did think for a few seconds that the rapture was upon me while dumping my guts.  Alas, I survived, and woke to see another day the following morning!   

Happy summer riding everyone!  :D

JClasen

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: AHT Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
Yes indeed...the AHT is no joke. The gravel roads down there are impressive also. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
Nice write-up Jim!  I'm planning on convincing my fellow Trail Bums to get down there again and give it a try.  They've been there once, but not me.  I haven't had a good puke since prepping for my first colonoscopy.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

jim_michaux

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
Early fall colors before the leaves are on the trail would be a nice time to venture out on the AHT, especially if it's dry.

Anyway...

Rebounded and ready for my home trails this weekend--the infamous "beast of the east!"

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Nice write up. I hope to make a full loop some time soon.

Does it look like the logging is finishing up?

I am sure the ticks are going to be bad there this year.

Chris Ward

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
I did a short 5 mile section this weekend after riding the rocky ridge and fire tower, I road the section that brakes off the fire tower and heads toward 462.  I probably pulled close to 20 tickes off of me.  They were everywhere, on my bike, clothing and of course me!

I originally planned on riding from fire tower to 462 to cold Friday, which would have been half the AHT and close to 26 mile ride including the ride back up cold friday road, but after riding the 5 mile section of the aht I realized I and my bike did not have it in us as I was having problems getting up hills, and I was dealing withs sevre chain suck caused by a king hub that needed to be overhualed....I cam to the realization that I need more time riding before I make another attempt.

Sound like you had a good time and gained a good appreaciation for the aht. 

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
My wife and I just returned from backpacking the AHT. It is a great adventure, some nice views and variety of terrain.
I am now awed by jim_michaux complete ride of the trail. It would be VERY hard on a bike... lots of hike-a-bike. I would like to know how long it took you to do the 20-mile loop? I would guess it couldn't have been less than 5 hours.
ps. We camped the first night right next to that stone chimney.

jim_michaux

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »
as the ride report notes, i decided to bail at the hard road, so i didn't complete the loop (missed a couple miles)!  we rode at a casual/easy pace, stopping to take photos, grub/drink, texts/calls...no real hurry, so we were on the trail for around 7 hours. 

i hope to get back in early fall before the leaves fall to ride it on a cool morning. 

a winter backpacking trip would be great too!

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
Who else has taken on the AHT?  How long did it take?  How hard was it.  A friend an I were thinking about trying it out on Sun but I'll be on the clock to be back in Indy by 3pm.  Sounds like it's a real @ss kicker.  Is it really 5 hours or more to ride? 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »
6-8 hours for the whole thang.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 06:46:24 AM »
6 to 8 hours, seems like a long time for 24 miles on a mountain bike.  You must have to hike like a quarter of it!  How well is it marked?  Do you need a map?  If so where do you get it? 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
Check the other post about riding the AHT. There are map links in there.

Yes, you will have to hike a bit of the trail. It is marked very well, but you have to pay attention as there are a lot of trail intersections that are not all very easy to see.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
If you loose the trail at any point look directly up the fall line for trail markings. I recommend riding late august through december because the deer ticks are not as bad then.

.r

jim_michaux

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
good luck!

agreed...i'm hoping to make it back before leaf-fall, thinking it'd great on a cooler early october morning with a coffee-brewing-time start.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 11:39:09 PM »
You all got me scared, so we're bailing on the AHT.  Just going do ride French Lick till we fall over.  Sounds like autumn would be a better time to tackle it anyway and tomorrow the wife has got time restraints on me and if I don't make it home in time I might loose some saddle time. :'(  I still didn't find a map, was it a link in one of the blogs you guys wrote?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links