//Trail Status mouse over Java // Green Valley is now open.

Author Topic: Green Valley is now open.  (Read 28764 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Green Valley is now open.
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »
Its a new trail, so it needs tires, but also will need an extra day to dry out when we get rain, but it is a new trail, it's awesome and we now have 4 more miles of trail open.

So get out and help pack it in.  It will need a lot of tires to get its full grove on. 

It can be found off of the North Tower Loop.

This trail was build with funding from the 2008 state trail grant and HMBA volunteers.  It has long climbs and descents and Dan is building some special bridges.  You can look at Alex Stewart's photo gallery to see how it has progressed.

Here are some photos

Look for volunteer days to bust open the other end. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:48:12 PM by indytriple »
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

MikeHufhand

Re: One end of Green Valley is now open.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
Rode this gem today. Amazing fast or slow.  Great detail work trailbuilders! Huge Bodacious Kudos.  

ANYBODY can ride a bike...very few could put this together this well.   No offense to bike riders, after all, I'm one of them!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:31:05 PM by MikeHufhand »

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
DRAT!!!!!! I was out there today and the signs still said closed.. At lest I think they did.. I kinda wizzed past the 2nd one.. Ah well.. next time.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »
DRAT!!!!!! I was out there today and the signs still said closed.. At lest I think they did.. I kinda wizzed past the 2nd one.. Ah well.. next time.

We were there at 3:30 today and the open end at North Tower was open and only had a sign explaining where the current end is.

On the way back out of Green Valley, one downhill in particular put a $hit eaten grin on my face.;D I stopped to talk to a couple of the CAMBR riders and couldn't say anything for a half minute because the grin was too big. They probably wondered what I had smoked.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:24:15 AM by gmcttr »

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Yes, amazing job by everyone who has worked on the new trail, you all did a fanatic job! Only rode it once so far but it was alot of fun.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
Heading down in a few. I'll try to add some tires tracks to the new trail.

Edit... Just got back. New trail was kinda wet in the beginning, but once it went up the hill onto higher ground was fine... After this storm that's coming thru, I'd say all Brown County will be red...

Trail was a nice change of scenery though. Out was OK.... Back was a nice roller coaster ride!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:13:08 PM by Indiana Dave »
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Here are photos of the second bridge and the rock work in that location.  Please don't go past the trail closed sign and that will cause issue for the trail builders.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Very nice!
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

bikapelli1

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »

Rode the Green Valley today.  It's in remarkable shape already for a new trail.  I kept almost crashing because I was too busy admiring all of the armoring rather than paying attention to riding.  Very impressive. 

bikapelli
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G Wells

Apertome

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
Rode Green Valley for the first time yesterday and my first impression is WOW! The trailbuilders have outdone themselves -- and that's saying a lot, as they've built a lot of amazing trails. Green Valley is a stunning trail, both in terms of scenery, and in terms of trail design. Can't wait to ride the whole thing! Thanks to all who have worked on it.

moondawg

• Need to ride more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
Rode the trail last night.... what a jewel.   Trail seemed to be downhill in both directions.   I recall on the way out thinking to myself "I am making too many withdrawls from the gravity bank.... I will soon have to start repaying" but the climb out wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Just a little annotation to the map above:  The trails is 4 miles OUT and 4 miles BACK for a total of 8 miles.   Just FYI!

Many thanks to all who have worked on this trail.. you are truly an asset to HMBA and the State Park system.
2009 Trek Fuel EX8
199x Trek 2100 Beginner Tri-bike

jerrywr

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
i thought the climb/decents were a good balance. it was worth building thats for sure. it looks like there making headway on the southwest end. mostly machine cut i'm guessing

rocketrepairguy

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
I will second what moondawg posted... seems downhill both ways. Awesome trail work!

wyoming cruiser

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »

Just a little annotation to the map above:  The trails is 4 miles OUT and 4 miles BACK for a total of 8 miles.   Just FYI!

Thanks for the Clarification!!!  That makes a big difference to my ride plan for tomorrow!  I thought it was a total of 4 out and back
Wyoming Cruiser
IMBA Member-  HMBA Chapter

MTBRDK

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
I rode this trail for the first time yesterday and was impressed. It looked like the trail beyond the signage was pretty much complete. I was tempted to ride on and check it out but managed to exercise some self control and turn back. When will it be complete and how much farther will the trail continue?

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links