//Trail Status mouse over Java // France Park Trails

Author Topic: France Park Trails  (Read 12862 times)

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
Re: France Park Trails
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
Please let the park know that you want a marked route. I offered to permanently mark the DINO route a few years ago for this reason, but they declined the offer.
The park board needs to know that people care about the mountain bike trails. Write a letter, or better yet visit a park board meeting.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »

I just found out about a major change to management at France Park: http://pharostribune.com/local/x1236702682/County-shakes-up-management-of-France-Park
The new manager seems to be very interested in new ideas for the park. This could be a great opportunity to improve mountain biking in that part of the state.
Do any of you live nearby and interested in improving the relationship with the park and mountain biking? I'll be talking a lot of details with him soon and would like to have backing of some locals.

jhmace9

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
Can't say i like the blurb about attracting horse riders.  That's the last thing we need out there.
Bad enough dealing with walkers with there dogs crapping in the middle of the trails.

As for all the signage questions; from what I was told they try to leave them up but being that it is a campground filled with idle teens they don't seem to last long or get pointed the wrong way.  You know fun stuff!!

JMcFly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • -- everything is a jump --
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
I'm in.  I'm from Monticello and now live in Noblesville where we still drive up there several times throughout the year to camp, swim and ride.  My twin brother lives in Monticello and he just got recruited too and doesn't even know it.  I'll see you at the DINO event at France Park.
"Did I go over my handlebars?"

todd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
I was very happy to hear about the new park management and perspective on mountain biking at this weekend's DINO event - for those north of Indy, this would be a great option!

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 07:36:27 AM »
Yes, I am extremely excited by their vision. The new management is committed to putting time, energy, and significant money into making France Park a "destination worthy" mountain bike trail.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
From what I recall the "idle teens" that were taking down signs were the children of park officials, so it was going to be kind of hard to get rid of them until they got old enough to engage in larger crimes :)
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

tmac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »
Are these the same jokesters who performed the reroute by removing tape a couple seasons ago during the race that had several riders going the wrong way?  >:(

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
More good news at France Park.  A buddy and I went riding there yesterday and the gate fee has been lowered to $2 for MTB'ers!  That's great news as it use to be $7 for MTBers and $2 for everyone else.  I can't wait to see what else might come of this change in management.  I tried to meet with Lucas (new Super) yesterday but he was off and I'll try to make contact and see what we can do to help out. 

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Yes, very bright future... Lucas intends to invest money, time, and effort into professional trail consultation... including overall layout planning, new trail construction, markings, etc. More details coming soon!
Riders who live anywhere near France Park: show your support by at least riding there... then getting involved when the time comes - we'll keep you posted.

Firehouse

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
$2 gate fee for MTB'ers!  That's the best news local riders have had in a long time.  I'll be showing my support with a ride there in the near future.  I'll try and find Lucas so I can introduce myself.

jim_michaux

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
$2 is very good news!  haven't been there this year yet.  good to know.

Harbinger

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
I rode today with Firehouse and his son. Its a beautiful place, definately worth supporting. The current trails have some great sections but also areas that need work. I felt as though there were flow issues and it has some pretty abrupt climbs. I'm really anxious to see what happens with the new management. We spoke to some of the park employees and it sounds like some excellent stuff is on the horizon.     

Firehouse

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
France Park trails are in the news today.  The article title is about WiFi, but half of it talks about the future of multi-use trails in the park.  Encouraging!

http://pharostribune.com/local/x1332346504/Internet-coming-to-France-Park

Go out and ride!

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
I made a trip up to France Park yesterday to meet the new Park manager and check out the work his crews have been doing.  They have done some great work and Brian and I rode the new section with photos attached below.

There is a lot of opportunity for a unique trail system.  I plan to schedule a volunteer work day in January (looking at Jan 20th).

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links