//Trail Status mouse over Java // Looking for feed back on 29er forks

Author Topic: Looking for feed back on 29er forks  (Read 4658 times)

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Looking for feed back on 29er forks
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
I am looking at upgrading the fork on one of my bikes. Here is a list of the potential options. I know some are supposedly better then others, but that usually comes at a price. I do not have a good history of having luck with air. I also know there is some difference in weight for these. I do want it to be as light as possible, but only if it is worth the extra $$.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Rock Shox
Tora TK
Recon Gold or Silver TK

Manitou
Tower expert or pro

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for feed back on 29er forks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Manitou
Tower expert or pro

I run the 80mm Tower Pro on my Salsa El Mariachi.  It comes in a 100mm too, but it is a separate fork, not like a Rockshox where you can add or remove a spacer to change the travel.  You can get it in black or white lowers.

I like it alot, it is very smooth sliding alloy stanchions.  And compared to the Tora or Recon (with steel stanchions), it is a step above.  It is more comparable to a Reba Team.  It has MARS air on the top only, and adjustable rebound damping.  The lockout is crown mounted, and an aftermarket remote lockout is available.  It is easier to install than the Rockshox, which requires changing the internals. The only issue I have with the lockout is that even though it has indents for six positions on the lockout knob, it doesn't have a progressive lockout, it's either totally locked or totally open. 

Overall, it's a great bargain compared to a Rockshox Reba, and a big step above the Tora and Recon.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
The Tower Pro would be my preferred fork out of the list. Of course it is the lightest and the most expensive.  ;D

Do you run your salsa SS? If so, do you lock out the fork for climbing?

I am thinking of using it for the Mohican before putting it on the other bike.

I have not decided on the 100mm or 80mm yet. It would be nice to be able to change the travel if needed.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
The Tower Pro would be my preferred fork out of the list. Of course it is the lightest and the most expensive.  ;D

Do you run your salsa SS? If so, do you lock out the fork for climbing?

I am thinking of using it for the Mohican before putting it on the other bike.

I have not decided on the 100mm or 80mm yet. It would be nice to be able to change the travel if needed.

I can SS it, since it has the Alternator dropouts, but presently is is 2 x 9.  I do lock it out for climbing.  If you don't need it to turn on a dime, or if you don't race much, you may be happier with the 100mm.  If you can get a Rockshox fork with the U-Turn, that would be very handy indeed!

Dave
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

PRbigwheel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
I am also considering the Rockshox Recon TK for my GF Marlin SS and saw your post.

Not sure if the extra ~$100 is worth it for the Gold instead of the Silver.... they both have he same features.

Gold is ~1lb lighter becuase of the aluminum tubes instead of steel and they are coated in some low friction stuff.

So I was curious if the pound and the coating on the tubes is worth the extra money?  Is that coating that much more effective than chrome over steel?

Thanks

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »
I went with the Tower Pro 80mm and got the remote lock out.

So far I have been very happy with it.

$100 for 1 lb is a lot, but weight can be a big deal

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
I am also considering the Rockshox Recon TK for my GF Marlin SS and saw your post.

Not sure if the extra ~$100 is worth it for the Gold instead of the Silver.... they both have he same features.

Gold is ~1lb lighter becuase of the aluminum tubes instead of steel and they are coated in some low friction stuff.

So I was curious if the pound and the coating on the tubes is worth the extra money?  Is that coating that much more effective than chrome over steel?

Thanks

The alloy stanchions with the coating does make for smoother action and lower weight.  I'd go with the alloy, if it were me.  Once you ride the good stuff, it's tough to go back.  If it won't hurt you financially go with the alloy.

Dave
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

PRbigwheel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
Good to hear because I ordered the Recon Gold TK today!  I'm pumped  ;D

Bike shop was able to get for me for reasonable price and this way I won't have regrets.

Thank for the information.

NairbDar

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
Just converted a Maverick DUC to 29er and it's awesome.  Handles awesome.  I've also heard of people converting older Manitou Dorado's into killer 29er forks.  Really more for freeride/downhill, but the Maverick is light enough to race ~3.9 lbs.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links