//Trail Status mouse over Java // Pisgah Bound

Author Topic: Pisgah Bound  (Read 4249 times)

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Pisgah Bound
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Pre-PMBAR rides planned for Fri/Sat/Sun. Going huge Fri,then it's ride,Panic,ride,ride. See ya on the trail.

jim_michaux

Re: Pisgah Bound
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »
enjoy jj and 'fro before the panic attack!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »
I will be out there next weekend April 15-18 if anyone else is out that way.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
I hope you guys get better weather then we did

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
Would have loved to join you guys....unfortunately work had other plans. Have fun!
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »
Awesome weekend of riding in the mountains. It ended up Richard,Sammy and I road trippin in the Jeep. Huge ride on Friday,weather was perfect,mid 80's and the singletrack was perfect also. Hardly a sole on the trails that day. We did run into a nice couple who ride for Brevard College MTB team, that also knew Brad Nelson of Union College(Ky)/Carmel. The parking lot was half full to start the day,although no one else went up Black and empty on our return. We hit up Black Mtn(up and down).,Turkey Pen,SMR,Mullinax,Squirrel Gap,Buckhorn for an 8 hour day. Whew, I was whipped, we hit up some pasta and retired early as we had another big day planned on Sat.

Saturday brought out the Ridespreadpanic,as we met up with Indy's KOP (King of Pisgah), Scotty Irons. We had a pretty big day planned, as most peeps would be stoked to get a ride in Pisgah, we were throwin down the classic,Laurel-Pilot Rock-Pilot Cove-Slate-Secret-Laurel ,Richards 40 somethin Birthday Bash and then headin to Asheville for JJ Grey/Mofro and Widespread Panic shows. It's like Christmas in April for Bigdaddy,too much fun in a day. It ended up a killer ride with temps in the 90's and again just perfect trail conditions, loved the rippin 6 mile downhill run on Laurel to end the ride,pristine track. Onto town, hit up Barley's Tap Room for some scumptous zah and tasty local birthday brews. JJ Grey brought the Funk and Panic the Heat. The house was rockin and full till the heap. Sammie was cuttin a rug with the Hippy chicks and Richard was" havin a good time". What a day as we munched down our cold pizza and headed to the hotey.

We were toast on Sunday. Needed to get going and try to beat the spring break traffic jam and 8 hour drive back home. It was foggy and a slight misting,so we called it a weekend of riding and loaded it up. Anything over 50 miles in Pisgah is always a good weekend of riding and I had my fill of mountains in Pisgah and wookies at Panic, so it was northbound my man. It's always such a long drive back home after such a fun filled time with friends. Back to Reality. Ride ON

JClasen

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
I love hearing your ride reports! Frickn' awesome.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »
Great Rep[ort. It makes these last 2 days at work that much harder before I leave for Pisgah tomorrow night. I am pumped to ride out there. It has been over a year since I have been to Pisgah.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
Fett you suck! My trip was too long ago already. Come on PMBAR weekend!

chuckdlou

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
i saw on the spacebook that there is a new pisgah map...anybody seen it? or know how it compares to the old yellow nat geo map?...the newest nat geo is no good in my opinion, the same story with the hoosier map...they went larger format, and i admit it shows more area but the detail isn't nearly as good and the topo lines are essentially useless...kinda like tits on a boar hog

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »
i saw on the spacebook that there is a new pisgah map...anybody seen it? or know how it compares to the old yellow nat geo map?...the newest nat geo is no good in my opinion, the same story with the hoosier map...they went larger format, and i admit it shows more area but the detail isn't nearly as good and the topo lines are essentially useless...kinda like tits on a boar hog

I don't know if it was the map you are talking about or not, but there was a guy who was racing Double Dare that had a new map that he was making. Eric had it laid out on a table for everyone to look at and was going to look it over.

From what I seen it looked nice, but I didn't really look at it very close.

chuckdlou

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:53:04 AM »
the picture i saw was a wall post from sycamore cycles...said it was made by locals with local knowledge...wonder if "local knowledge" means they know which trails to leave off the map so only locals can find them...

jim_michaux

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
that sounds mean  >:(...the local knowledge talk.  (and is what they/we do at michaux!)

chuckdlou

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »
no meanness intended, just the truth...we're mtbikers and i guarantee 90% of us have at least one or two rides that we don't tell anyone about and don't want anybody to find out about...i see that as more of a challenge to travel and find the stuff that i'm not supposed to know about...screw the locals, i'm gonna find their secret stash...then i'll keep my mouth shut just as they do so that nobody comes and rats out my secret rides...self-perpetuating, and kinda like hazing but it is what it is...

jim_michaux

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
with regard to michaux, the guys at the gettysburg bike shop do intend to be mean when they release the race maps!  trails are raced the "wrong" way.  the intent is to make you suffer, and they're unapologetic about it! 

some of the best michaux trails aren't on maps and aren't part of the races.  they aren't marked in any way, meaning no signs/posts are in the forest.  you gotta explore...or ride with a local who's willing to share.

i'd suspect pisgah has some of that going on as well!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links