//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tires?

Author Topic: Tires?  (Read 8136 times)

Jesse Ritchie

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Tires?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
What you want is called the "Magic Tire!" I hear this a lot.

I want:
0. Good traction in rocks
1. Good traction in dry/hardpack
2. Good traction in soft/wet
3. Fast rolling
4. Light
5. Cheap
6. Supple feel
7. Flat resistant
8. Long lasting
9. Cheap

It doesn't exist. You'll have to sacrifice something. I'd say pick about four from above but not both 1 and 2. Or 2 and 3.

Since, I presume (based on where you live) you ride primarily at Versailles, BCSP, and the like (same conditions pretty much) as well as race, I'd suggest the Maxxis CrossMark. It's fast since it has a pretty solid center ridge (with square edges so it slows down as well) and has decent spacing in the semi-section (between the center and the sides). The square edges will cause it to pack up a bit more when wet, and there's the rub.

Second, I'd say go with the schwalbe (something). Ralph? I think that's it. Good tire. Expensive (the rub)

The larson's are slow. Nevegals, slow. Ardent 2.4, lots of traction (slow).

One of my fave's -- Bontrager XR0, but nobody buys it unless they like Trek. Even though it's made by Kenda. They've always made awesome tires. If you like the SB8's, the Bontrager version is way better in pretty much all categories. But it's bontrager (the rub)...

If you have the time there is about 400 pages worth of tire design theory and history stored somewhere up there. Or can give you a brief history in about 10.

Me? I like Ritchey's V-force analysis tires. They're predictable. Lots of new generations in the last 5 years so I don't know what they're called anymore.
too much italian wine...
I Wish some company would just make the "magic tire". I checked out the crossmarks and theyre looking like a good option. But if i went with that, should I use it for front and back or just one or the other?

And i do ride a trek, but im not a fan of bontrager tires.. I still have the stock jones xrs on my top fuel 8, and I dont like them at all

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
I've ridden the Crossmark extensively (29er, for what it's worth) front, rear and both front and rear.

Frankly, I think they are good (especially as a rear tire during the summer), but I'm really happy with the Maxxis Aspen as a rear tire. Very light, rolls sooo fast, but is surprising with how well it gripped stuff. I didn't really expect that.

For the front, I always prefer something with a bit taller knob to bite on the corners. I'm digging both the Racing Ralph (extensive time on) and the Rocket Ron (just installed). Both are by Schwalbe. 

As far as roots and rocks, I agree that no tire is perfect. I think low tire pressure and good technique (get off the saddle, muscle that bike forward, and work on those trials skills) are key to these situations. Riding a rigid SS will help with this.

joshuaprater

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:20 PM »
I like what chuck is eluding to. Crossmark front and Aspen rear. Sounds like a good combination to me. Besides, if you don't like 'em, they'll be worn out mid-season anyways!

I hear you on disliking the Bonty XR's. The tire itself was made well, got great traction, rolled pretty quickly, but was a little unpredictable when they broke free. The profile wasn't round enough for my taste. They would just kinda break free and you'd go down. That's what I like about the Ritchey's. They always have some slip and gradually lose traction. That way you have lots of time to correct and feel what's going on down there. Having all the traction in the world isn't necessarily a good thing...

We haven't really got into compounds, durometer ratings, casing construction, silica, carbon black, and the like, but that's what really comes into play for root/rock traction and wear. If that's your fancy, you can't go wrong with Michelin rubber. It has always been the best. Their tread patterns aren't as up to date as other companies, but their compounds are way ahead of everyone else. Continental is doing well with their black chili stuff but is still behind Michelin. I think it was kenda that has some mass spectrometer machine or some deal that scanned Michelin rubber to replicate it, but I never really felt they got it right.

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
Nevegal in Stick-E rubber has worked for me on the slippery rocks and roots of the Kingdom Trails in Vermont for years.  You can find them on line for under $30 any day of the week.  Sheds mud and snow and still grips on dry hard pack.  Hard to beat it. 

chuckc1971

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:21 AM »
I'm really happy with the Maxxis Aspen as a rear tire. Very light, rolls sooo fast, but is surprising with how well it gripped stuff. I didn't really expect that.

Just completed the Death March. Both singletrack sections (Hickory and Combs?) had fairly muddy spots. Those Aspens kept traction quite well. Never packed up either.

Jesse Ritchie

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
I decided to go with the crossmark/aspen combo. ordered them today from bicycle station! ;D

fst aslp

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »
Any opinions on the race king?

SplashofPee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
How about some Schwalbe Fat Alberts?  Nothing gets in the way of Fat Albert.  Nothing.
All I want for Xmas is empty trails --
THANKS TRAIL BUILDERS!!

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Still racing on Maxxis Aspens front and rear. I did Mascatatuck and the DRT BCSP TT on them and they are great in the current conditions. A Crossmark on the front would work great as well. You give up a little weight and rolling resistance for better cornering traction. I have not had any issues with the front end washing out.

I am really becoming a fan of Maxxis tires. I used an Ardent front/Ignitor rear combo at Pisgah, the 2 times I have been out there this year and it has been a great setup.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:49:58 PM by Fett »
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

BBJones

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
thanks to whoever recommended the Tioga psycho genius.  They seem to wear& roll well. picked them up online from treefort for around 33-35 bucks each.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links