//Trail Status mouse over Java // Schooner Trace

Author Topic: Schooner Trace  (Read 10959 times)

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Schooner Trace
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
Any additional info to narrow down the location of the trees would be helpful. Thanks.

rmknotts

• Ride like there is no tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 01:00:34 AM »
We road from Walnut to Schooner road. If you walk/ ride from schooner road like your heading back to walnut there is one about a mile down, give or take a little bit...and 2 more shortly after. All of them before the long rocky uphill/turn. if you just trim the limbs off they may make for another great feature!
2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
2011 Trek Speedconcept 7.2
1985 Schwinn Sport

"I can ride my bicycle with no handlebars"

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
Must be your first time on Schooner,because either direction you go from the road heads back onto Walnut. Sounds like you only rode one section of Schooner if you rode it from the road. Maybe someone with the chainsaw can figure out where your talking about the tree down location. Next time ride the whole trail and you'll be really impressed!

rmknotts

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
If it helps we road the majority of Schooner, all of it but the last mile or so. My buddy that was with me got his 3rd flat of the day so we decided to call it quits and head back to the car. When on Schooner road where the trail spits there is a picnic table on one side of the road. The side that the picnic table is on is the way you want to go to get to the trees. Where we came out of the trail, if you were to turn left it would take you down to the lake. Did we miss much the last mile?
1985 Schwinn Sport

suboptimal

• Training wheels on
  • rolling < optimal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Thanks, that clears up the confusion.  It may be Tuesday before I have a chance to get out there.

rmknotts

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
So I just gotta know.... how many people are there that can actually ride all of Schooner? Theres not much that I wont do, but this trail is just to much in places. Its fun, but extremely dangerous.
1985 Schwinn Sport

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
I don't know of anyone who has cleaned the whole thing in one ride. I have ridden everything but the stairstep climb up by the big rock outcropping when you come from the Hesitation Point direction. I have not seen anyone clean it yet, but Matt Battin came the closest that I have seen. Also, at the Hoosiers Nest Entrance, I have not seen anyone ride up it, but several have gone down it.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

suboptimal

• Training wheels on
  • rolling < optimal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »
On Schooner, going from Schooner Rd towards Hoosiers Nest, I cut out a tree just before the first switchback, and a second tree just before the second switchback.  There was a new tree down in the area where there are many trees intentionally left on the trail.  It is well positioned and I left it as a new feature.  There is also a tree down that may be new to those who don't ride there often.  It has a "Y" in it where it sits on the trail.  Alex and I decided to leave it when we had the big trail clearing weekend after the wind storms.

Go ahead and report new down trees on Schooner, but realize that not all of them will be removed.  This ain't no beginners trail.

rmknotts

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
Go ahead and report new down trees on Schooner, but realize that not all of them will be removed.  This ain't no beginners trail.

Thanks for taking care of the few new dead falls. And your damn right, this ain't no beginners trail. This trail is as close to the mountains as it gets in Indiana.
1985 Schwinn Sport

onlyontwo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
Yesterday my better half and I rode Schooner for the first time.  Before we moved to California, Hesitation point was the furthest the trail had developed.  Candace starts teaching again come Monday so we figured a last hoo-rah was in order.  I left work early and we hit the road to BC.

We went up Hesitation Point and then crossed over to Walnut and on to Schooner...As soon as I saw the entrance I knew we were in for fun.  It didn't disappoint.   ;D  Candace was growing frustrated on some of it because she was walking but we both loved it.  There are a few sections where I can't even picture the line.  I would love to ride it some time with somewhat that knows the lines so I can try some additional features.

Great work to those of you who built Walnut and Schooner.  We had a blast out there.

Cheers,
Andy

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links