//Trail Status mouse over Java // Schooner Trace

Author Topic: Schooner Trace  (Read 10941 times)

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Schooner Trace
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
A friend and I hiked Schooner Trace today for the first time. This evening, another friend asked what I thought of it. My reply was as follows.

"What did I think of Schooner? Well, to be honest, I think it must have been bench cut by a bunch of lazy builders that only did a 1/3 bench, at best, and left to drink beer. There isn't even a trail tread in some places. If I had ever tried to leave new trail in that shape, Alex would have made me fix it.

And the rocks...all I can figure is they must have piled excess rocks on the tread planning to get rid of them later. However, it looks like beer:30 came around and put an end to that idea as well.

Nothing more than ill conceived, poorly executed, unfinished trail. I guess there is a reason it is called a "trace" and not a trail." ;)

Actually, I'm sorry I will never have the stamina or skills to ride my bike on Schooner. However, it is now my favorite hiking trail.

Fantastic trail. My complements and thanks to all that had a hand in building this trail. Very nice work.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:44:28 PM by gmcttr »

TonyO

• Tony O'Neill
    • View Profile
Re: Schooner Trace
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
I admit, beer was an uncontrolable unresitable desire while bench cutting parts of that trail...

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
Interesting observations you have there ;)

Shane Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
I friend and I hiked Schooner Trace today for the first time. This evening, another friend asked what I thought of it. My reply was as follows.

"What did I think of Schooner? Well, to be honest, I think it must have been bench cut by a bunch of lazy builders that only did a 1/3 bench, at best, and left to drink beer. There isn't even a trail tread in some places. If I had ever tried to leave new trail in that shape, Alex would have made me fix it.

And the rocks...all I can figure is they must have piled excess rocks on the tread planning to get rid of them later. However, it looks like beer:30 came around and put an end to that idea as well.

Nothing more than ill conceived, poorly executed, unfinished trail. I guess there is a reason it is called a "trace" and not a trail." ;)

Actually, I'm sorry I will never have the stamina or skills to ride my bike on Schooner. However, it is now my favorite hiking trail.

Fantastic trail. My complements and thanks to all that had a hand in building this trail. Very nice work.

I love that trail and do it on a single speed with little effort and one of the reasons I love it is because NO one else rides it. There is only three or four places that I will not attempt to ride and it's not because I can't, but because I need to keep my bones in one piece. Ya know that's why they call it the EXPERT TRAIL. But I can also see your point.

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
I bought a new to me bike this year. I can pretty much say that Schooner's existence was the sole reason I sought  this type of  bike. My new goal is to not look drunk when I ride that trail. Lofty, I know...

Shane Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »
I bought a new to me bike this year. I can pretty much say that Schooner's existence was the sole reason I sought  this type of  bike. My new goal is to not look drunk when I ride that trail. Lofty, I know...

I hope you bought a trials bike and not a downhill bike. IMO it would be a total blast to ride Schooner on a trials bike. One thing I hear from people riding Schooner is that they are afraid of tearing up equipment mainly the rear derailluer which is another reason why I ride a single speed. A lot less to break. Regardless it comes down to what you like and what you are comfortable on.

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
Well, it's a hardtail so no DH, but has a squishy front, so not trials either. The standover and chainstay length is about as trialesque as a 29er can get however. May have been more of an excuse than anything. I'm certain there are many who could navigate the trail on my normal hardware. :)

Shane Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
Well, it's a hardtail so no DH, but has a squishy front, so not trials either. The standover and chainstay length is about as trialesque as a 29er can get however. May have been more of an excuse than anything. I'm certain there are many who could navigate the trail on my normal hardware. :)

Good luck on your new ride and have fun.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »

Yah, we were going to do something with those rocks, but Alex offered us beer to help finish the bridges on Pine Loop.  Some day we will get around to actually making Schooner as hard as it should be by organizing the rocks in to angrier piles.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
Is there a preferred direction or does it matter?
Bob

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
There are sections that ride better in each direction.  Both directions also there challenges.  Prefered direction would be a matter of personal opinion.  I like to ride and walk it both directions.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
Thanks Paul that is what I figured, I don't make it down much so with the race tomorrow I am looking to maybe ride a little more on the other end after I get my butt handed to me in the Cat. 2 race.  If I feel like I did after Warsaw (my first) then probably won't be looking to add more:)  But someday looking to try it out.
Bob

chuckdlou

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
i like starting on the hp end and going toward hoosier's nest...

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
i like starting on the hp end and going toward hoosier's nest...

That is my preferred direction as well.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

rmknotts

• Ride like there is no tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
Not sure how often anyone walks or rides Schooner but there are a few trees down that obstruct the entire trail and you have to basically crawl through them. I know there are some trees to ride over, but these look freshly fallen. Gotta say thats by far the toughest trail in the state and for me only about 80% was even ridable! Holy smokes! I rode it today for the first time... Like some other comments above, I wont attempt 5-6 features because I'd like my bones to stay in tact. In some places it looks like someone decided to roll some rocks down a hill and where they stopped they became permanent.
2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
2011 Trek Speedconcept 7.2
1985 Schwinn Sport

"I can ride my bicycle with no handlebars"

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links