//Trail Status mouse over Java // Full suspension or hard tail

Author Topic: Full suspension or hard tail  (Read 5660 times)

mtb tips

Full suspension or hard tail
« on: December 11, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
I want to buy a mountain bike, but I'm confused. Full suspension or hard tail?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Full suspension or hard tail
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
Depends upon your budget and purpose. If your budget is less than $800, I would say that you are better off with a hardtail as any full suspension for less than that has to make more serious compromises on componentry. If you are in a higher price range, a full suspension makes for a more enjoyable ride, with the possible exception if you are looking for a no compromise race rig.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Seth Hildebrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
I had the same question a year ago prior to purchasing my bike - in fact that thread may still be in here somewhere. Here is what I ended up doing. First, I already had a 26" full suspension bike so the decision to collect an 29 HT seemed to make more sense. Also, I ride 99% of the time at Town Run and when I'm not riding there, its because I'd doing a DINO race and like the idea of a hard tail when racing. TRTP is so flat and smooth the need for full suspension is lessened. Also, as we all know, it rains A LOT in the spring and I find myself riding on the road more. I figured it didn't matter if I had full suspension when I spent so much time riding on pavement. For all these reasons, I ended up buying the HT.

The result.. since buying the HT this summer I have not ridden my full suspension bike - not once.

jmyers

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:49 AM »
Agreed. A hardtail 29er is ideal for most trails in the area.

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
FWIW, I picked up a HT 29er this year.  After that, my FS bike (a nicer bike on paper) rarely left the garage. 

If you get this figured out, ask about tubes vs. tubeless or 26" vs. 29" and watch the posts pile up!  Considering the weather today, this tread could set record. ;)

Enjoy the search!

nilsmuller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »
A hardtail 29er is ideal for most trails in the area.

Yes, that's basically the reason why you don't need to buy a full suspension here in Indiana.  Now if you find yourself traveling to out east a fair amount because of family or what not, you might look into a full suspension because of the east's naturally rockier, more technical trails.  Along with that, on some fs bikes, you can lock out the rear suspension when you don't need/want it, much like how you can lock out the suspension on your fork. This would basically make it kind of like a hardtail which would give you the best of both worlds.  Nonetheless unless you are looking to spend upwards of $1700+ for a good fs bike, I'd stick with the hardtail.  

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »
Are we to assume you are on step 2 of your article "Tips on Buying a Mountain Bike", from your website "Mountain Biking Tips"?

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
The original poster was banned.  Something seems wrong with someone having a "Mountain biking tips" web link and yet asking basic questions. 

Always be careful clicking on links from first time posters.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
I deleted the account as well so the link wouldn't show... The follow up discussion is good though.

gt ss

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
I have a HT 1X8, a HT SS and a FS 3X9.

The HT 1X8= spring riding to get in shape, BCSP, adventure racing and anyplace unfamiliar.

The HT SS= summer and fall riding, VSP, or anytime @ TRTP.

The FS 3X9 spent the summer in a friends garage. I did not miss it one bit.

I thought when I turned 43 it would be a treat but, the extra moving parts, weight, maint..........not as much fun IMO.

2005? 18" Giant NRS 3 for sale??

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
I luuuurv the plush ride of my FS Niner, but for everyday riding and the weekly urban a hardtail 29er is fine for me.  For traveling to a ride like BCSP, I take the Niner. 

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

SplashofPee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
Once you ride a good Full suspension it is "hard" to go back to hard tail.

But I think a single speed 29er HT would be fun some places like TRTP
All I want for Xmas is empty trails --
THANKS TRAIL BUILDERS!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links